Character 'software' (avatar??)

Laerten

Aspiring Writer
Does anyone know of any software out on the market that would allow me to enter my characters details e.g. hair and eye colour, height, build, and then produce a picture/avatar that I could print out.

I keep finding that as I write my story I sometimes incorrectly put down a detail and I think having a picture in front of me would remember what all my characters look like!

There are a couple. Aimed at 3D artists that spring to mind.

Poser and FaceGen

Poser has been on the market for a while now. It's not perfect, but is a decent solution. You can change body types and faces, though it's a bit fiddly to get used to.

You can probably shop around, but this is the product (at $250 ) - probably cheaper if you get an earlier version.

ico_fig3_02.jpg
ico_tech4_02.jpg

software3D.de :: Poser Pro (developer)
software3D.de :: Character Design - Character Design
Poser

to see what others have done with this program and if suits your needs check out sites like

Poser World has thousands of Poser, Poser 7, Poser Pro, Poser 6, Poser 5, Poser 4, DAZ Studio models, Poser clothes, poser props, poser meshes, poser content, poser textures, Poser 4, Poser 5, Poser 6, Poser 7, PoserWorld - Poser World - Poser 7 Mode

The other is

http://www.facegen.com/

If you're new to the whole 3D thing or just want to play about there's this handy FREE download for a face generator. It produces some fairly decent results in no time. You can 'Print screen' your results (you can save them too)

video.jpg
index_1.jpg

Out of the two the face gen will give you more immediate results, you can give the heads expressions and more. But it's just the head, and they dont have hair - though you can give them beards. Poser will do the body, hair, animals, children as well as male/female and you can give them props and cloths.

I would recommend trying FaceGen out first to see if the 3D thing is for you. Face Gen demo wont cost you anything, and with this new 3.2 version you can save your work (couldn't do that with older versions) the downside is that they all have the deveoper "SI" on their forehead, but it's a small detail that's not vital considering what you need it for.

Hope it helps.
good luck.
Jez

Well who knows, maybe Laerten's story is all about a race of bald people that have SI tattooed on their forehead anyway! That would be a fortunate coincidence, would it not!

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunatley at the moment I don't have any bald characters!

Does anyone know of any software out on the market that would allow me to enter my characters details e.g. hair and eye colour, height, build, and then produce a picture/avatar that I could print out.

I'm too new to provide links, but you could try HeroMachine (all one word). It's stated to be a superhero character generator but I've used it on occasion to draw up fantasy characters.

just thought i would post here
you could go and take a look at DazStudio
It's similar to Poser less complicated
(i have both Daz and Poser)
i can't add any links here due to post count but:
daz3d.com is the site to download the software (completely free)
you may need to purchase hair etc for the characters, but the software does come with basic hair and outfit.
also try renderosity.com as there is a marketplace for 3d items and a huge freebie section
hope this helps.

You could always try the character-creation screen of a computer game like Oblivion or Fallout 3. These have slider bars to alter various facial aspects, and are quite useful if you want to see what various facial aspects look like in conjunction. You can probably also print/save the screen. I've tried this with a couple of my own characters and the result is quite interesting.