Overrated Game characters

Wow, that's a blast from the past. I remember playing Legend of Dragoon ages ago, and you're right, Dart's girlfriend (whose name completely escapes me right now) was missing for the second half, and I have to say she annoyed for the first half of the game. She struck me as a weak character, there only to be rescued on several occasions. That's a very overrated game stereotype, in my opinion. Her replacement was a far better character.

I [heart] Dark Eco

It was also irritating that the storyline matched Dart and Shana up so quickly. Shana's replacement was a bit more interesting. She was the head strong princess, right?

Another annoying addition to a great franchise was Pecker in the Jak series (also by Sony). Pecker had some funny moments in his first couple scenes (Jak II), but, by the third chapter, he rivaled Robin Williams in annoyance.

what about all those additional characters that they suddenly threw into the Spyro games? I onlyplayed a few, and whilst two of them were not bad, several were just thier for the minigames -!

Probably Sonic for me, at least with Mario he started out as just another character and then became hugely popular, now he's been around so long you can kind of understand why Nintendo want to use him as some sort of talisman but with Sonic it kind of feels like they've always been pushing to make him the Sega mascot.

One good game, ok very good game, that worked great as a platform and didn't really transfer all that well to 3D environments. Just my two cents and to be honest its being offered without playing most of the Sonic games :rolleyes:.

Quokka just made the list.

You don't knock Sonic (and to be fair, all his 'bad' games are rated as that. I don't think that can be called over-rated. Just over-used).

I've always thought Solid Snake was a bit overrated, then again I haven't played any of the games after MGS on the PS1.
I agree that Master Chef is far too simple a character to be at the centre of the Halo games.
And Gordon Freeman is exactly as Zero Punctuation describes him. An emotionally oblivious mute.

The idea behind most FPS characters is that you are supposed to project yourself as the character hence they normally make them simple or overuse the Amnesia subplot. I never got the fact they hyped up the Master Chief as some paragon of character development.

3rd person games are more likely to have decent characters.

Most overrated...

Sonic is pretty rubbish (Never got into the Megadrive games)
Certainly the chick who snuffed it in Final Fantasy VII has been over hyped
Master Chief is WAAAAAY overrated.

Certainly the chick who snuffed it in Final Fantasy VII has been over hyped.

speaking as a non-player of FFVII I have to say this is one of the most widly spread spoilers ever -- but I think you are going to be in trouble - have you seen FFVII fans and what they do to people who comment like this? I mean its horriffic -- I'll say something nice about you at the funeral == that is if there is anything left of you;)

I've always thought Solid Snake was a bit overrated, then again I haven't played any of the games after MGS on the PS1.
I agree that Master Chef is far too simple a character to be at the centre of the Halo games.
And Gordon Freeman is exactly as Zero Punctuation describes him. An emotionally oblivious mute.

Play MGS2 than diss Sold Snake not before that ;)

Through the eyes of the newbie Raiden, Solid looks uber cool.

Probably Sonic for me, at least with Mario he started out as just another character and then became hugely popular, now he's been around so long you can kind of understand why Nintendo want to use him as some sort of talisman but with Sonic it kind of feels like they've always been pushing to make him the Sega mascot.

One good game, ok very good game, that worked great as a platform and didn't really transfer all that well to 3D environments. Just my two cents and to be honest its being offered without playing most of the Sonic games :rolleyes:.

After Alex kidd Sega created sonic to replace him as their mascot. As for the other sonic games, true 3d enviros didn't work too great, but then again the orginal creator stopped working for sega and had some one else work on him for the dreamcast. most of sega games were runied, by none other than sega of america (SOA from now on) sonic cd was a great title to launch the sega cd but failed to gather any momentum or build on the sega franchise because of SOA reluctant to translate it properly and cutting costs constantly on their machines, case in point the UK's earlier sonic games were 25% slower than the rest of the world because we couldn't run 60hz framerates on our tvs. And this game was supposed to emphasise on speed.

Heh after seeing his Ninja fight against vamp in the trailer for MGS4 even i longtime Raiden hater was impressed by his moves, thats the Raiden i wanna play as :D

Cant believe he is the same noob that only years ago coudlnt do much in MGS2.

Its nice Vamp isnt dead, he has almost as cool voice as Snake himself.

I am pretty certain Raiden will die (no spoilers just opinion) which I am gonna hate.