Best Siege

The best siege?

• Total voters

Fake Vencar

Metaphorically Drunk
Sieges are an important part to Feist's works and I would like to know your opinions on them. Which was the best?

The siege of Krondor was awesome,and a bit emotional for me,this is where we lose William, James and Gamina.James' burning of the sewers was spectacular.

They're all great sieges, but if I had to pick one it would have to be Krondor as Krondor was the basis for so many of the stories that you feel that you know her intimatly. It was such a suprise that Fiest decided to destroy Krondor utterly and the loss of so many good characters only added to the battle.

Armengar was a great siege, but the city was built for defense, so although vastly out numbered, the defenders were able to hold out for a longer time. Therefore i wouldn't rate it as good as Krondor.
My main problem with Darmoor was the way the siege was ended. A bit of an anti-climax IMO.
The out come of Armengar and krondor was very similar, but as Krondor was not built for defense in the way that Armengar was, I'd still have to pick krondor.

I had to go for Armengar..as the scene where Murmurdas riding his demon steed through the flames of the ruined city still comes clearly to mind nearly a decade after reading.

The siege at Krondor was the biggest fight but didn't have many pages...Ray just focussed on the main characters. Darkmoor was a great fight, but I have to agree the ending was poor.

With regards to Armengar, who was in charge of the defense? I seem to remember that Amos Trask was there? but I'm sure there was someone else in charge, I think it was a Duke who attempted to steal the crown of the kingdom and was then exiled, but I can't remember his name. Mind you it has been a while since i read any fiest, methinks a total re-read may be inorder prior to Wrath of a Mad God being released. :)

It was Guy that was charge of the defence, although Amos and Arutha helped quite a bit too. As for the re-read, I reread all the books I've got in the summer and am doing it again...nearly finished Magician

I've got all the books so far except, 'Murder in Lamut', which for some reason I've never fancied reading and the Empire books set in kelewan, never got round to reading them eventhough I've got the first one.
If your doing a re-read would you read ALL books, including the 'Krondor' books, 'Empire' books, M.I.L and H.E. or just stick to the main books set on Midkemia.

Well the only side books I've got are the Legends of the Riftwar books. I would just stick to the main books, seeing as we've only got a month and a half to finish them all!

I re-read a lot generally just random books but never throughout the entire series....

I never really thought of Krondor as a siege I suppose, I mean one minute it's there and the next, it ain't. Armengar and Crydee had the most seige like qualities but never really got into the siege at Crydee, so....

I'd have to agree with Lapis - definitely the siege of Krondor, and particularly because we lost so many good people. I was in tears over the loss of Jimmy and Gamina, and no other Feist offering has touched me so deeply.

I do have to admit that Armengar was second on my list. It was long and hard-fought and rediscovering Guy as the sity's leader was great - one of REF's literary master strokes.

Seems no one likes the siege of Olasko very much...I can see why. Wasn't the most inspiring fight after all

I must apologise again for the omission of Armengar; its been a while since I read the book and I was only thinking of sieges in the Kingdom, except Olasko, at the time. Otherwise I may have included Maharta, where good old Biggo lost his life.

Armengar was a great siege, but the city was built for defense, so although vastly out numbered, the defenders were able to hold out for a longer time. Therefore i wouldn't rate it as good as Krondor.
My main problem with Darmoor was the way the siege was ended. A bit of an anti-climax IMO.
The out come of Armengar and krondor was very similar, but as Krondor was not built for defense in the way that Armengar was, I'd still have to pick krondor.

I meant it was written the best

I'm noy saying that Armengar wasn't a great siege, I just prefered Krondor IMO. With Armengar the defenders had the advantage of a city built for defense. OK, they still lost the city and it was a great read, but Krondor sticks in my mind more, probably because after reading so much about Krondor through his other books, I feel more attached to that city. I felt that when reading about Armengar, you sort of knew that the place was going to fall, where as with Krondor, I was expecting it to be saved in some way, not utterly destroyed.
What I enjoyed more about Armengar was the inclusion of the Dark Elves, I really enjoyed reading about thier culture, Probably that's why I enjoyed Honoured Enemy aswell.
Just my opinion.

I agree that Armengar was written the best, and a fantastic siege. It is definitely my favourite!
Krondor is brilliant as well, the loss of the city and some main characters is heartbreaking and poignant.