Jumping Jack Flash by M. A. Keesee

dwndrgn

Fierce Vowelless One
This is the story of Albert Martin, who is being sent back to 1879 London to find a missing android. Martin starts out at a disadvantage, he's lost his luggage and his responder that can bring him back to the present, he doesn't know who his contact is, or that she's a woman, and after all of this, becomes a suspect in a murder investigation. He's got to find the android, solve the mystery, and get in touch with his contact so he can get back to the present time. Through all of this he has the help of the future author of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries, Arthur Conan Doyle.

It's a very enjoyable story with interesting characters and some unique twists. I had only two minor complaints - first, I thought that it could have been a great deal 'meatier'. The author could have filled it out a bit more with some background on the main character, the company he works for and the antics of the wayward android. I also thought that some of the dialogue with Doyle seemed a little off. Clearly the author wanted the reader to get a feel for the time period and used language to do so, unfortunately Doyle's style of speech switched from modern to period-specific once or twice and it was a little distracting.

All in all, it was a great book and I'm waiting for more adventures. I especially would like to hear more about Bob, the giant Sumatran rat. Don't know who he is? You'll have to read it yourself and find out :) .

I enjoyed this book as well, and wrote the following review on Amazon:

M. A. Keesee's "Jumping Jack Flash" was a joy to read, and the perfect book for that long plane flight or lazy afternoon on the beach. I felt that I traveled right along with Albert Martin, back to Victorian London to experience the sights, sounds, and customs of that intriguing moment in time. The android Jack's earnest desire to learn and progress himself worked as a nice catalyst for Albert's adventure.

Hopefully M. A. Keesee will continue to delight us with the further adventures of Albert, Jack, and Sydney, as they traverse the time barrier in search of truth, and possibly, of each other.

:)