Your Favourite Book of 2007?

I'd say that Ian McDonald's Brasyl was probably the best book I read (technically I finished reading it in 2008 having started it on the 30th of December).

Some other books I particularly liked:
Joe Abercrombie - "Before They Are Hanged"
Steph Swainston - "The Modern World"
Peter F Hamilton - "The Dreaming Void"
Fred Pohl - "Gateway"
George RR Martin, Gardener Dozois and Daniel Abrahams - "Hunter's Run"
Richard Matheson - "I Am Legend"

George RR Martin, Gardener Dozois and Daniel Abrahams - "Hunter's Run"
OH, you're the first person on this forum I know to have read this other than myself. I agree, I thought it was really good, I loved that twist/revelation about half way through the book. Pretty much anything GRRM is involved in is a quality venture, I think he must be one of the most versatile writers with consistently high quality we've had in SFF.

I'm afraid I have to go with a series as well - ASoIaF. Even now , after 5 months or so, the characters are vivid in my mind. I can't wait to find out what happens next.

I'm afraid I have to go with a series as well - ASoIaF. Even now , after 5 months or so, the characters are vivid in my mind. I can't wait to find out what happens next.
I think you said you're going to try Erikson? If so, pepare to have your socks knocked off...:D Erikson is my fav EPIC fantasy series. GRRM is probably second still.

I think you said you're going to try Erikson? If so, pepare to have your socks knocked off...:D Erikson is my fav EPIC fantasy series. GRRM is probably second still.

He should send you payment you have sold his series to many members of these forums :D

He should send you payment you have sold his series to many members of these forums :D
Perhaps but I'm always happy to promote what I believe to be quality work. I like to think I've also drawn some members (in a positive way) towards the Masterwork series as a way to explore the roots of the modern Genre.

Ilium and Olympos, by Dan Simmons. A fascinating concept very well executed, although certainly not without flaws. What most impressed me were all the new mysteries which were introduced during the telling. Making such mysteries and their explanations feel so organic to so complex a story, without overwhelming or confusing the reader, is quite a demonstration of talent.

OH, you're the first person on this forum I know to have read this other than myself. I agree, I thought it was really good, I loved that twist/revelation about half way through the book.

Yes, it was a good twist, although I did see it coming a bit before it was actually revealed (in retrospect it should be obvious from even earlier what is really happening). I liked the ending as well, it seemed very appropriate considering Ramon's character.

Neil Gaiman’s American Gods was probably the best book I read. My favorite was Spin State by Chris Moriarty, with Richard Morgan’s Altered Carbon and Greg Bear’s Blood Music as runners up.

Harry Potter And the Deathly Hallows
no question.
And To kill A Mockingbird right after it :)

A Cavern of Black Ice - J.V. Jones. Characters I care about, well developed world and situations that demand justice make for quite the page-turner. Too many things this year to keep me from reading though.

I have to go with a trilogy in 2007. Species Imperative: Survival(1), Migration(2), and Regeneration(3) by Julie Czerneda.

The main character is true to some of the Biologists I have known. Strong female lead characters and an interesting blend of aliens.

Czerneda also has a trilogy on Shapeshifters, and another on telepaths. Plus a stand alone novel.

I highly recommend her work

I'm going with Earth Abides by George R. Stewart

followed by Ptolemy's Gate by Jonathon Stroud (like others perhaps I should include the entire Bartimaeous Trology)

2007 was my breakout year seeing its the year i became a serious book reader and fan. So i will have alot of favs cause i read 80-100 books in 2007. Sure i read books before 2007 but like 3-10 books a year for fun.

Emphyrio - Jack Vance
Tales of Dying Earth - Jack Vance
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep ? - Philip K. Dick
Now Wait For Last Year - Philip K Dick
The Stars My Destination - Alfred Bester
Starship Troopers - Robert Heinlein
The Moon is A Harsh Mistress - Robert Heinlein
Legend - David Gemmell
Wolf in Shadow - David Gemmell
Bloodstone - David Gemmell
Sword in The Storm - David Gemmell
Midnight Falcon - David Gemmell
Wolf in The Plains - Conn Iggulden
Gates of Rome - Conn Iggulden
Altered Carbon - Richard Morgan
The Dead Zone - Stephen King
The Hunter - Richard Stark
The Man without a Getaway Face - Richard Stark
The Hot Rock Donald E Westlake
The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler
The Moving Target - Ross Macdonald
The Killer Inside Me - Jim Thompson
The Last Assassin - Barry Eisler
Drawing of The Dark - Tim Powers
Nightwatch - Sergie Lukyanenko

As you have seen in other threads most of those books are my all time favs. The reason i have so many favs in 2007 is that pre 2007 the books i read are crap compared to those . All of those authors i read for the first time in 2007. Couldnt choose beteween them simply cause they are the favs in their genres.

congratulations! You are now considered to be a serious reader-type geek. All you need to complete the picture is to anally record every book you've read with cover picture, page count, and brief review as to the good points and bad points.

Join me in the quest to read 100 books in '08!

There were quite a few I really enjoyed:

World without End - Ken Follett's sequel to Pillars of the Earth, well worth the wait.
Silk - Allessandro Barrico (Thanks for that one Nesa)
Fevre Dream - George R R Martin (Revisited an old friend)
The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova
but the book that stands out in 2007 for me was

The Shadow in the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Falzon, I loved every word of this book, a brilliant story beautifully written.
2007 has been a great year of reading for me.

Best book of the year?... Can barely remember what I read last year, it's all meshed together. After a bit of recapping, I chose:

Greg Keyes - The Briar King