What juicy tomes are you biting into this January?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read his trilogy and really enjoyed it. I should imagine the detail of the landscape has much to do with him being a Lecturer of Geography and a map maker. :)

lol oh right, he does describe it beautifully but just wish there was less description and more conversation. The actual story itself is fine so i will continue to read.

Am reading old-skool comics atm...

Finished the DC 2nd Volume of their Batman Showcase featuring more of (Holy Moly!)Batman from the 60's era. It was OK but not as good as the first one and I think I'll hold off on further Bat Showcases till they reach the 70's, which is my fav era.

I'm more than halfway through the 1st DC Showcase of The Unknown Soldier. This is a lot like the Commando comics we used to read, but restricted to US operations in Europe and the Pacific. TUS is this quasi-mythical character with a background that he lost his face in a grenade attack that also killed his brother, and now he wants to dedicate his whole life to destroying the Axis. He's a master of disguise and keeps wearing various getups on his missions. This is pretty damn cool with a nice gritty illustration style. Good fun.

I'm rereading The Hickory Staff, in preparation for finishing the trilogy with Lessek's Key and The Larion Senators.

The Great Book of Amber: The Complete Amber Chronicles by Roger Zelazny. It's been hard to put down.

Glad you like it flygin.

Still finishing Big Time by Fritz Leiber. Not much time for reading of late....

I'm still slowly working my way through The Complete Robot by Isaac Asimov, in amongst other things.

Tonight I should nearly finish reading Edgar Rice Burroughs - A Princess of Mars.

Just finished Un Lun Dun by China Miéville.

Now spinning a coin between Sailing to Sarantium by Guy Gavrial Kay, or The Baker's Boy by J.V.Jones.....

Now spinning a coin between Sailing to Sarantium by Guy Gavrial Kay, or The Baker's Boy by J.V.Jones.....
Was never impressed with JV's first trilogy, her current series is so much better that her earlier stuff looks like it was written by a hack writer. I would therefore go with Sarantium, I can't imagine it being worse as Guy's stuff is usually at a good standard.

Was never impressed with JV's first trilogy, her current series is so much better that her earlier stuff looks like it was written by a hack writer. I would therefore go with Sarantium, I can't imagine it being worse as Guy's stuff is usually at a good standard.

I have to agree with Gollum. It really wasn't a very good trilogy.

I've just started The Scalehunter's Beautiful Daughter by Lucius Shepard. The man can write.

I've just started The Scalehunter's Beautiful Daughter by Lucius Shepard. The man can write.
Good to hear. I've got SF Masterwork Life During Wartime and a collection (World Fantasy Award Winner) The Jaguar Hunter.

Never read a word to date, so sounds like something to look forward to.

Shepard is definitely a writer worth reading. A lot of his stuff these days tends to be published by small presses, like Subterranean or PS, but they're worth picking up.

Halfway through The Blade Itself, which I'm enjoying. Hoping Jezal gets strangled by Ardee though:D

Having had a good christmas I've got Storm Front( Jim Butcher) Reluctant Heroes ( Steve Westcott, Wezman as he was on the Chrons) for starters. We'll have to see if I can read more - depends on time

Down? :) Edinburgh is north of London. A long way north. About 6 hours by train - which is a long way to a Brit :)

I've just started reading Neal Gaiman's Stardust -- a book I've had sitting on the shelf for a year or two (complete with signature, hand-drawn star and a smiling crescent moon, all kindly doodled by the author) -- and admit that I've been inspired to read it now after having seen and thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

I was standing in a bookshop with Stardust in one hand and Ian Irvine's new book in the other. I had to leave Stardust until later, but I intend to read it since I enjoyed the film :)

I was standing in a bookshop with Stardust in one hand and Ian Irvine's new book in the other. I had to leave Stardust until later, but I intend to read it since I enjoyed the film :)

Inevitably, the plot of book and film do not completely coincide, but you can definititely tell they're related. :)

So far, I'm enjoying the book as much as I'd hoped to. Hope the Irvine proves worth the sacrifice, Joel.

Status
Not open for further replies.