What juicy tomes are you biting into this January?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeepThought and Gollum, if you're interested in more Lucius Shepard, check out his bibliography on Wikipedia here. I can vouch for its accuracy because I did it :)

That sounds a nice book you got there Gollum. I've never read any of his stuff however and wanted to see if I liked it before going all out. I'm sure i will tho. Its a wonder they were never filmed.

Barsoom is his name for Mars. Amtor is the name he gave to Venus in those stories. The HB I got for a pure song has both the Venus and Mars stories in it.

All of them? All 11 John Carter books and all 5 Carson of Venus books?

That sounds a nice book you got there Gollum. I've never read any of his stuff however and wanted to see if I liked it before going all out. I'm sure i will tho. Its a wonder they were never filmed.
Check this out....:D

John Carter of Mars is a planned film adaptation of Edgar Rice Burrough's 11-volume Barsoom series under development at Pixar as of 2007. It will be live-action and animation.

At least four earlier attempts by various parties were made to translate this adventure series to film since the first novel, A Princess of Mars, was first published in 1912 ; all were aborted. The first attempt was to be an animated feature with Burroughs himself on board, but disagreements between the studio and the filmmakers doomed the project.

John Carter of Mars is currently in pre-production at Pixar. Not sure what will happen, though. When the project was first announced in 2004, Robert Rodriguez was attached, then Kerry Conran, and then Jon Favreau... and now it's at Pixar with Andrew Stanton...

All of them? All 11 John Carter books and all 5 Carson of Venus books?
Sorry my bad, several of the Mars books and all of the Pellucidar adventures but no Venus. Still a good collection in HB for like $5 in Australia.

EDIT: My post on Pixar and the films may shed some light...

I'm still getting through The Oxford Book of Science Fiction Stories and am enjoying it very much.

The Tunnel Under The World seems very advanced for being written in 1955 and ends a on very strong mental image and Who Can Replace Man? hits my sense of humour spot on. I've considered starting to use "I have a good supply of fissionable materials!" as my standard reply when I don't know what else to say.

Finished Company by Max Barry. Moving on to Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur.

Finished "Breakaway" the 2nd Cassanova Kresnov novel by Joel Shepard.

Another fast paced story of politics and action based around a Genetically Engineered supersoldier turned SWAT member.

It is an exciting read and good fun while it lasted.

Now onto the 3rd and final novel "killswitch"

Ah! I don't think I've read any Pohl,yet!

Of the 30 authors in the book, I've only read 3 of them before and there are 2 I've heard of, but never read, before. The other 25 are authors I've never heard of before opening this book - Pohl is among those 25.

Reading this book is a journey of new discoveries to me. Don't be surprised if I, after having read it, write a post here asking for recommendations of other books by some of the authors in this collection :D

I recommend it very warmly. I almost feel like I'm discovering the whole genre anew.

That'll be Recursion. The third book is Divergence.

Right Recursion! It is not often that a book teaches me a non-technical word any more, but "recursion" (plans within plans) was a word I hadn't a clue about.

Pretty solid book too, but the divergent story lines across a couple of centuries bopping back and forth was difficult to hold together. I'm more of a linear man myself. I would have preferred one timeline story followed by another.

Ah! I don't think I've read any Pohl,yet!

If this is so you have a real treat in store: "Gateway" the first of the Hee Chee (sp?) Chronicles is a Classic in every way. I would go so far as to say that it is one of the 100 or so best SF books ever.

Right Recursion! It is not often that a book teaches me a non-technical word any more, but "recursion" (plans within plans) was a word I hadn't a clue about.

Ancient IT geek joke - "recursion: see recursion"...

:)

If this is so you have a real treat in store: "Gateway" the first of the Hee Chee (sp?) Chronicles is a Classic in every way. I would go so far as to say that it is one of the 100 or so best SF books ever.
I second that, although I would go so far as to put Gateway in my top 10 SF novels.

Status
Not open for further replies.