...Does anybody else stand while they write?...

shamguy4

...Yes... Sometimes I have an urge to just pace up and down the isles of my college library, rather than sit down and write... I guess it enhances my thoughts as I try to write words onto the paper...
Maybe I have ADD or something? Lol! i dont know... I just sometime need to walk to get the juices flowing...

Anyhow finals are here! And I have so much to do I have not written in like almost two weeks!
Everytime I think of writing my book, along comes another thought that says "Why don't you write something you need to write? like an essay?"
And thats what I'm doing now.... pacing my library writing an essay...
...Maybe I'll post it when I'm done... It's a narrative... So I guess that makes it similar to novel writing... except it has to be perfect in grammar and I dont get to have a editor fix it, other than my teacher who grades it with horrible red marks all about....

Well I don't write while I stand. But I need to get up and run around for a while, whether I'm writing or studying, just to sort of get away from things and to swing in for like another 10 minutes.:p

heres my essay please comment on it.

My Reverie's (hope that makes sense...)

Focused…There in front of me was an exit sign, and I just stared straight at it, focused. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a man to my left follow my gaze, only to find a boring exit sign. There was nothing special about the exit sign and I barely even noticed it, for my mind was elsewhere.
I was floating in an abyss of pure fiction, where anything was possible, where time didn’t matter and everything was perfect unless I thought otherwise. It seemed as if nothing could take me out of this serene place. But a nagging sensation at the back of my head told me I was wrong. Slowly the fictitious world I created faded away, and I found myself sitting at a table in the library.
I was back, back in the world of reality, where time mattered very much and it seemed to be ticking away pretty quickly. Frantically, I tore my gaze from the exit sign and replaced it with a clock on the wall to my right. I wondered how much time I had wasted?
Ten minutes!? It had seemed like only two?
I looked down at the paper in front of me. It was supposed to be screaming out words of an essay I was supposed to be writing, but the page seemed silent and empty. This was not the first time this has happened. I often find myself daydreaming about anything other than the task at hand. But I believe I’m not the only one. There are others out there, and like me they enjoy allowing themselves to fall into an endless pit of thoughts.
What triggers this special place and brings it to life, I wondered?
I have found myself enter the reverie in many ways: through a train of thought that went awry, a scene that reminded me of a past time, a moment in which I was displeased with myself, and during a class where I was just plain bored. There seemed to be an infinite amount of answers to this question. The real question was, what had triggered it, this time, right here?
I began to think back, -until I found myself staring down at my paper. And before I could think any further I noticed that it was still naked with not even a smudge of ink to wear. I had to write something! It could not remain blank anymore! Frantically, I grabbed my pen and jammed it onto the paper! I began to write, “The”… I looked down upon the word, and feeling satisfied, I looked back up and was about to continue my thoughts, when I noticed the man to my left was staring at me. His face seemed to have a look of distaste on it, and I wondered what it corresponded to? Was it my blank stare? Did he oppose to my daydreaming?
I know that some people think of daydreaming as an immature act, a lazy, horrible thing to do, and a waste of time. I’ve had my share of, “Grow up!” and, “Get your head out of the clouds!” But I agree with none of these. I think daydreaming is a gift, and if there are those who don’t understand it, well that’s too bad on them. After all, daydreaming allows me to have some alone time and allows me to pursue my deepest thoughts. I feel like I have an inner eye which allows me to perceive things with more depth, in a special place that only I understand. It allows me to be creative and opens doors I never knew existed. I’ll admit that sometimes, I might get carried away, and remain too long in the imaginary realm, but that’s not too bad. I guess the only argument against daydreaming that I can understand, is forgetting the difference between what is real and important and what isn’t, daydreaming being the latter. However, I have to yet come across someone who doesn’t understand this difference, making this argument seem like a miniscule one. Besides, that’s what makes daydreaming so beautiful. It is built upon non-real, unimportant elements. It is an innocent place where I don’t have to make stressful decisions constantly. It is world to escape to.
Yes, that could be the perfect answer to what triggers my reveries. It is a world to escape to, whether because I'm bored, feeling creative or want to dream of what I can’t have. I open my inner eye and escape from this reality because I can. And who knows, it may actually help in some way in the real word.
A cough from somewhere nearby broke through the silence and once again, I was back in the library. As I took in my surroundings I noticed the man to my left was still staring at me. I stared back, and for a second our eyes met. Then he looked away, pretending not to have noticed anything.
I glanced down at my paper, the word “The,” glanced back. It took me a few seconds to realize that “The,” was not a good enough essay, and so I crossed it out. I spent the next few minutes trying to find what to write about. As I thought, my eyes wondered around, and they wondered onto the exit sign, and I began to write, “Focused. There in front of me was an exit sign and I stared straight at it ,focused.”

I had a different ending also...But I think the one I used was better:

...I began to think of what to write when my eyes wondered onto the exit sign. I stared at it... focused...

How do I copy and paste the essay from MS word into the post with it not crunching together and ruining the paragraphs??

okay some suggestions:

I know it's an essay and not a page of a novel, but you have a little too many 'was' and 'were' in there. Try to replace at least some, especially in the beginning.

It had seemed like only two?
the 'like' isn't needed.

I looked back up and was about to continue my thoughts, when I noticed the man to my left was staring at me.
another 'was' that seems lost. Either change it to ',who was staring' or just 'staring' or glance or something else.

I glanced down at my paper, the word “The,” glanced back.
'glanced back at me' or probably better to say: "I directed my head towards my paper, where a single "The", returned my glance."

It seems you edited the comma in the last sentence, so that I'll skip.

But overall I really liked it.:) I can only dream of courses, for which I can write an essay like this one. *sigh*

other than my teacher who grades it with horrible red marks all about....
You know they always keep finding something wrong. The key to deciphering if you're getting any better is: the more absurd the things they pick on, the better you are doing.:p

Seriously!!! That is very true!!!
My teacher finally gave me an A today on an essay but I had to rewrite it like twice because of stupid things he found wrong with it. There were no fragments, run-ons or anything like that... Just stupid problems, and sometimes I didn't change them and he just left them alone and forgot about them.
And he finally graded it! An A!! Yay!

well i sometimes find myself swatting the air while i'm writing a battle scene dunno if that helps just felt like sharing

I occasionally pace back and forth, but I don't 'write while I'm standing', no. To throw in a worn out cliche' I'm getting too old for that s**t. :D

When I'm at work I have no choice, as there's no chair in my store to sit on.. But that doesn't worry me, most of my very best "AHA!" moments of the year have been had standing over the cabinets at work...

Hehe. I can't do much at all standing, let alone write, especially considering the fact that it's hard to type with one hand and hold a laptop with the other....

It doesn't really matter which position I'm in, as far as my thoughts go, but I'm not physically able to hold out that long standing....

well i sometimes find myself swatting the air while i'm writing a battle scene dunno if that helps just felt like sharing

Interesting. I always sit when writing (my handwriting is almost illegible at the best of times) so I do all my writing at the keyboard.

However, like asher, if I'm describing an action or the look on someone's face you can often find me 'mugging' at camera (the mirror) or making the move I'm trying to describe (how much of your face shows when you look over your shoulder?)

I'm usually pretty motionless when I'm writing my stories (except when I come to a sticky bit or trying to find a certain word, in which case I'll probably start having a minor tantrum, grabbing my hair or (as I just did when trying to find the latter part of this sentence!) lacing my fingers behind my head) but when I'm revising -- blimey, then I really can't stay still. I end up pacing around my rooms and talking out loud to myself. I find this helps when I'm trying to work through a tough point as usually my thoughts are going so fast that speaking out loud slows them down slightly.

And I agree with Scalem, if that's an essay then I am very envious. The essays I have to write for my course are all very formal, lots of quotations from texts and secondary quotes from other sources and etc, whereas I'm likely to write something similar to your essay in my creative writing module next semester.