Disappointments from the Fantasy & SF Masterworks series

Sorry!! No offense meant. I know I'm in the minority on this one

Don't apologize!

It was agonizing, getting through all those books, each of which were twice the size they should have been!

(99 page prologues?? Are you serious!?)

I'd be interested to hear of any particular examples of this if you can recall. I can't think of any glaring examples of this.

List as it stands: SF Masterworks - Wikipedia

Only saw this question!
Looking through the list one pops up right away
JG Ballard The Drowned World.
Maybe it's more personal opinion but I regard his Crystal World as a far superior novel. He wrote it a few years later and it seemed a much more sci fi story than Drowned.

Life During Wartime by Lucius Shepard was rather disappointing. The first part, which I think was originally published as a short story, was really interesting: a cyberpunk take on jungle warfare, basically. The rest of the novel, in which two families had a sort of psychic feud, did nothing for me.

Ringworld - didn't do it for me. I found it boring. You can say it was great to read it in 1970 but I've read books written way before 1970 and still found them fabulous to read.

I think Ringworld is one of those stories that stands out at the time because it is so different but decades later everyone knows what it is about and that stand out difference is no longer impressive.

psik

Only saw this question!
Looking through the list one pops up right away
JG Ballard The Drowned World.
Maybe it's more personal opinion but I regard his Crystal World as a far superior novel. He wrote it a few years later and it seemed a much more sci fi story than Drowned.
As far as I can tell, "The Drowned World" is still more highly regarded of the two to this day. Personally, I rated them both quite similarly (both okay but not great). I preferred "The Unlimited Dream Company".

Some recent disappointments:

"Babel-17", I just don't seem to get on with the Samuel R. Delany's writing style.
"The Complete Roderick", Just couldn't engage with the story that just kept jumping about. I gave up pretty quickly it has to be said.
"A Deepness in the Sky", somewhat disappointing after I really enjoyed the Vernor Vinge's "A Fire Upon the Deep". Another multi-threaded narrative that I don't really have the patience for any more (although I did manage to make it to the end this time).

I really didn't think much of Dune (which I read before seeing any movies), that I only purchased recently. I can see why Tolkien didn't rate it. I have no inclination to read any of the sequels.

The Stars My Destination, I agree was a bit dissappointing - but the story and creativitiy is/was great, just the 'realism' I like in good science fiction wasn't there for me.

Currently reading the Book of the New Sun series for the first time. Started well, loved some of the prose, and no doubt Gene Wolfe was a wonderful wordsmith. The story is getting a bit tedious now though towards the end of the first book. I will try to finish the four book series though.

Recently read Moorcock's Behold the Man. In its day it must have been a real shocker, but today it just didn't do anything for me other than give me a few laughs. I must admit I found the character of Mary to be especially amusing. The overall concept was/is great though.

Last edited:
I really didn't think much of Dune (which I read before seeing any movies), that I only purchased recently. I can see why Tolkien didn't rate it. I have no inclination to read any of the sequels.

The Stars My Destination, I agree was a bit dissappointing - but the story and creativitiy is/was great, just the 'realism' I like in good science fiction wasn't there for me.

Currently reading the Book of the New Sun series for the first time. Started well, loved some of the prose, and no doubt Gene Wolfe was a wonderful wordsmith. The story is getting a bit tedious now though towards the end of the first book. I will try to finish the four book series though.

Recently read Moorcock's Behold the Man. In its day it must have been a real shocker, but today it just didn't do anything for me other than give me a few laughs. I must admit I found the character of Mary to be especially amusing. The overall concept was/is great though.

Welcome to Chrons, and thanks for joining in the discussion.

You have picked 4 quite polarising books, and I can understand why people might find any of them disappointing, which is not the same thing as saying they are bad, as such.

My view on these:
Dune: Good book, clearly an important part of the canon. A bit portentous in places. I enjoyed it less as an adult than as a 12 year old. Did not enjoy any of the sequels.
The Stars My Destination: Brilliant. Just brilliant. Blew me away as a teenager, and I still love it decades later.
BOTNS: Likewise. The first book especially. Can be heavy going in places, and it is wilfully obscure. but well worth it.
Behold the Man: I think this is mainly a piece of deliberate provocation rather than anything very profound. Like a lot of New Wave really. I think Moorcock is really interesting and I have read most of his published works. This is not my favourite of his. Try Breakfast in the Ruins for comparison, but for his most arch NW go for The Final Programme.

Welcome to Chrons, and thanks for joining in the discussion.

You have picked 4 quite polarising books, and I can understand why people might find any of them disappointing, which is not the same thing as saying they are bad, as such.

My view on these:
Dune: Good book, clearly an important part of the canon. A bit portentous in places. I enjoyed it less as an adult than as a 12 year old. Did not enjoy any of the sequels.
The Stars My Destination: Brilliant. Just brilliant. Blew me away as a teenager, and I still love it decades later.
BOTNS: Likewise. The first book especially. Can be heavy going in places, and it is wilfully obscure. but well worth it.
Behold the Man: I think this is mainly a piece of deliberate provocation rather than anything very profound. Like a lot of New Wave really. I think Moorcock is really interesting and I have read most of his published works. This is not my favourite of his. Try Breakfast in the Ruins for comparison, but for his most arch NW go for The Final Programme.
Thanks for the comments and welcome.

I really was a huge Elric fan in my teens/twenties. Loved Stormbringer, and read just about all his fantasy. Reading him now, I can see why he has a reputation as a fast writer. I will check out your suggestions.

Yes, BOTNS I can see is meant to be read and re-read. I am very intrigued by Gene Wolfe to be honest. I will definitely stick with it.

I was probably too harsh on Alfred Bester. The book is an important milestone, no doubt.

Harry Stubbs (Hal Clement) wrote two of the best SF novels of all time - Needle and Mission of Gravity. I thought/think they were wonderful.

Response to an earlier post that said Stubbs was a disappointment.
He isn't.

Response to an earlier post that said Stubbs was a disappointment.
He isn't.
Oh, ok - there was no reference to the earlier post, so it seemed like a non sequitur. If someone suggested he was a disappointment to them, that is their opinion, which cannot be refuted. I personally think his work was fairly limited to be honest - of middling quality only.

I vote for The Three Body Problem. Read it recently. First half: intriguing. Second half: zzzzz.

Dune also. A mediocre novel masquerading as a classic of the genre.