Meetups?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by KateWalker, Dec 16, 2007.

KateWalker

KateWalker Syberia geek

When you're on a message board long enough, you get to know people on a more personal level, and start to plan meeting each other in person sometimes, or meeting each other in a group at conventions.

I've had the luck of meeting some folks in person on the comicbook message board I visit from time to time at a comicbook convention over here in Illinois where I live.

Do any of you ever travel to other countries for sci-fi conventions, or do you stay in your own country mostly for meetups?

How many of you have met in person? (just curious)

Message boards can be bitter sweet for me. It's great to find so many others who share my interests, but kind of depressing knowing so many live so far away. I have the same problem on my comicbook message board. I have folks who live in the same state as me, but not exactly close enough to hang with on a regular basis.

Anyway, my apologies if a thread like this has been started before. The mods could merge it into another, older thread on this topic if needed. That'd be cool with me.

Just wondering what your experiences have been with meeting folks from here, or other message boards in person.
    mosaix

mosaix Active Member

I discussed meeting a Chron member at the Hay on Wye book festival in 2007 but we couldn't get there on the same days. Perhaps we'll try again in 2008.

Not sure why there aren't Chrons meetups. I am am Manchester City (football) supporter and contribute to a Man City forum. We have regular meetups, but there is an obvious opportunity before/after each game.
    Sephiroth

Sephiroth Causa Scientiae

Years ago, I once met someone from another forum, he met several of us (forum members) during an extended tour of Europe (he was from East Asia).
    Overread

Overread Direwolf of the chrons

Well I have only been here a short time - but there is a core group here who I am certain have met up on at least one or more occasions.
    Aside from that no meet-ups for me yet - though it is early days as yet
    Karn Maeshalanadae

Karn Maeshalanadae Why?

Meetups? Don't be ridiculous. The White Water Dragon is an online-only entity, and perfectly content to be that way. :p

Besides, who comes out to the Oregon coast if they can help it?
    Rane Longfox

Rane Longfox Red Rane

I had a pubcrawl with 7 or 8 members of another forum just yesterday, since you mention it. It was great fun :D
    Culhwch

Culhwch Not actually a dinosaur. Staff Member

I barely like most of these people enough to talk to them here....
    Majimaune

Majimaune Actum pro novus diem

Cul you are mean.

Not enough people here are from Sydney and those that are I rarely talk to on here.
    gully_foyle

gully_foyle Here kitty kitty kitty!

Maj. For some reason I always thought you were from Perth. I suspect I am the only one from Canberra so I don't really expect to meet anyone.

However, I am moving back to Melbourne, and I have seen photos of Gollum, so I am looking forward to sneaking up behind him in Minotaur books one day and going "Preciousssssss!".

Also, I understand there will be a Con in Melbourne in 2010. Maybe we can all get together and get loaded.:D
    gully_foyle

That's if my wife lets me go, ofcourse.:eek:
    Majimaune

Majimaune Actum pro novus diem

2010 aye? Well I might try to get there. I finish school in two years so I should have no other reason not to get there other then work commitments.
    tangaloomababe

tangaloomababe Living in Paradise

Originally posted by gully foyle

Well count me in Gully!!!! Maj I'll buy you a drink!
    Culhwch

Culhwch Not actually a dinosaur. Staff Member

Which convention is this? Might have to plan an incognito trip.
    Kissmequick

Kissmequick loony

I'm new here so I haven't met anyone yet

I organised a WOW forum booze up which was quite fun, and very boozy. It was in London and we had people over fromScandinavia and the Netherlands, so we were all international. The trouble seems to be loads of people will say they will come, and then have an attack of *OMG meeting people from the internet, what if they're serial killers?*

But I'd do it again like a shot. I love meeting new people. Your only problem is shutting me up, but having at least one chatterbox helps to break the ice. :)
    gully_foyle

errm, maybe its just a rumour. I think Melbourne was bidding to host Worldcon in 2010. I thought they had succeeded, but maybe I jumped to a con-clusion. I think Gollum probably has the good info.
    Harpo

Harpo closing down

On saturday I attended a Christmas Party meet with 20-25 people from another forum, it was our third annual Christmas Party (the first one had about 100 people and I was Father Christmas). Over the past two years I've met people from there loads of times, in various UK cities. Some of the people have got on so well that they started relationships (longstanding ones, I know of two couples that have been together for over two years). I've also met people from other forums.
    I've never travelled abroad to meet internet people, but when Pink Floyd reformed for the Live8 concert I met up with a small crowd from a Pink Floyd forum, and some had come from as far as Australia, Chile, and Canada (though obviously not just to meet forum people)
    jackokent

jackokent Jack of all trades

Definately Hay on Wye 2008.:)

I met Mark Robson at Cheltenham book festival (got a signed copy of his book).

Good question though - there should be more Chrons meet ups. Book festivals are great places to meet for that sort of thing.
    Karn Maeshalanadae

Karn Maeshalanadae Why?

Or do what writing.com does every year and have a site convention somewhere....heh, that never worked out for me, seeing as how they always liked to hold it in Pennsylvania or New York....
    jackokent

jackokent Jack of all trades

No wouldn't work out for me too well either.:)
    Harpo

Harpo closing down

Let's choose a day and organise several simultaneous meets in various countries