Myst, Syberia, and other (video) games like those

@katewalker

no offense,
but Myst IV is in no way at all the hardest out of the series.

I've beaten them all while barely ever using an faq.
(I didn't even use one to translate D'ni)

Myst IV was disappointingly easy to someone like myself who's been following the series since myst was the only game to play on the first computers to have cd drives.

Riven (myst II) was by far the hardest.
I disagree with everyone who claims that the puzzles are illogical because they are perfectly logical
but it just takes a lot of patience and different ways of looking at the problems to solve them.

I think they made that one with the intention to make it one of the hardest point and click games ever made.

anyways if you want a few good myst like games to play
try:

Lighthouse
Amerzone
amber: jouney's beyond

I

also,
I hope you didn't buy a new copy of myst,
because if you have a damaged copy of any game
it's completely legal for you to download it.

Just keep the original damaged copy if you're paranoid about getting in trouble.

The first ever Adventure game I've played was Myst 3...I hated it heavily (I had the collector's edition, I still have the guide). I've avoided the genre for years to come.

Started playing it last year...with A vampyre story. If I would be permitted to copy from my blog at that time, these were my thoughts on the whole thing:

In an industry as vast as the one we like to call our favorite hobby, there little place for things to be really special. And yet...there comes around, once when the Moon is blue and closest to the Earth, a game that calls itself a savior, a guiding light for a whole genre; there comes a game that plants seeds of sweetest nectar in unprepared minds, blooming into outright love and yearning.

Ok...let's cut the melodrama here, I'll probably not be able to stomach myself if I write two more lines of that.

'A Vampyre story', released 2008, is a game like few others.
And it's not its charm or story that set it apart, or the wonderful art direction. No, these are all things that establish its personality nicely...but they're far from the icing on the cake.
The magic comes from a deeper source, one that is truly intangible, ethereal like wisps of wild inspiration: it has the ability of creating love for a whole neglected genre.
Truly a marvelous thing to boot up something and within hours to find yourself wondering where has this genre been all your life, how you could have passed it up so uncaring for years on end.

The adventure genre has never been dead. It has never really been dying better said. It's just been in hiding, supported by few big names and an army of little ones, obscure, unknown for except a select group. It's always been hard to pierce this genre with a gaze, to get a real idea of what were its inner ticking. The few outstanding games in the genre have always been either too hard, so they became off-putting; or too easy, to fall into the tray of uninteresting and un-challenging enough to warrant the attention.

And then...in 2008, there comes this jewel. With little fanfare, little warning and quite a lot of love (ok, I'll stop with the word) sewn into the very fabric of its pixel reality.

This is something created for the lovers of the genre that had stood by it for years on end. And, as well, is a warm embrace for those on the sidelines that had never thought of actually taking that long, hard stare at these type of games. With enough challenge to keep your attention at the beautiful scenery, and just enough help and humor to sink its fangs deep in your throat for attention, this is probably the best thing to have happened to the genre since Lucas Arts have released their original masterpieces.

Two endearing characters, a fantastic art direction, great and rather logical puzzles and an orchestral score that's pure audio honey and a great story make up the main reasons why this game is fantastic. Never have I seen before a more enthralling experience for a gamer that rewards patience and encourages it, as well as some cerebral work, without it actually ever turning into a chore.

Dreading pixel hunting?
Dreading cluttered backgrounds and humorless characters?
Dreading slow characters and obtuse puzzles?

Well, there's none of it in here. Objects are natural parts of their backgrounds, puzzles are nice and fun to figure out and the charm is everywhere.

Watching a voluptuous, air headed, dark haired vampirette stumbling her way around an ancient castles, aided just by her pet bat, could not be better than this. They talk and tease, they argue and make fun, they go through thin and thick, putting their heads together for various puzzles...it's hard not to get attached and hope for their well being.

Of course, there are bugs...some game breaking, some fixable. If there ever was a blemish on such an experience, its name would be 'bug'.
But, if you can get over the few annoyances, what lays beneath is an open invitation to explore a whole genre that's seen too much neglect. And you won't find that invitation draped in more beautiful clothes or singing a more fantastic tune than here.
You have my word on that.

Here are some of my favorites: Scratches 1 (#2 is coming), Aura 1&2, The Dark Fall series, Lost Crown and Last Crown (yet to come) which are from Indie developer Jonathan Boakes, Realms of Illusion (aka The Sentinel), The Longest Journey 1&2. If you really like to be scared, try Barrow Hill; its sequel Bracken Tor has been promised for some time and I can't wait. Happy Gaming!

Last edited:
I just finished Real Myst and it also froze on the Rime Age, but after setting compatibility to XP it ran fine. Always try different compatabilities as our systems vary. There are various posts on this if you Google it.

Have you tried U.H.S.? If you're completely stuck but have enough tenacity to try playing the game on your own, UHS provides hints a little nudge at a time. Will get you going again without spoiling the game.

I finally got the original Myst, and it played great, until the last part of the game, and then it froze. Grrrr! That's what I get for ordering an older game online I guess.

I'm debating on whether I want to try and return the game and get a new disk, and try playing it all over again, till I get to the last part. Not sure yet.

Hoping to get Riven soon.

Even though it was weird to see the older graphics on the original Myst, once I got used to them, it was still a great game. Loved the library part.

I just played RealMyst and it also froze in Rime, the last Age. I changed compatibility to XP and it ran fine. Always check different compatibilities if you have problems running games and ALWAYS Google the problem; that's how I found this fix. Good luck to all.

CyBeR...You dont fool me for one minute. Of course you know that CyBeR spelled backwards, spells Rebyc. You being from Romania should know that Rebyc was rumoured to have dabbled in the black arts way back in the 13th century, before Vlads Tepest's time, and was also thought to be of demonic, unnatural, ancestry. Vampiric ancestry methinks.....So there is some bias here...Are you a vampire Rebyc......sorry ...I mean..Cyber.

Homeimps ...where can you get a decent copy or download of the original Myst online. I have tried and all pages that lead to the game seem to fizzle out or time out on me. I even went to cyan worlds page, where I was sent to an online store to purchase it for $5:99 but the page there kept freezing aswell, followed by windows error messages. I am asking because I played the game many moons ago and would like to try it again, and also you seem to know a little about PC's.......Pancho

Ah, this takes me back. I still remember Darkseed on the Amiga - God, I can even recall Space Quest. I rather miss these sorts of game, because they told very clear stories. The linear shape meant that the characters pretty much had to develop in certain ways.

Anyhow, The Longest Journey is exceedingly good. A Vampyre Story is an odd one. It looks excellent, but I did find the voice acting irritating (the bat irritated the hell out of me). It's certainly worth a look, though. I hope there is a second part, because with a little tweaking, it could be extremely good.

Homeimps ...where can you get a decent copy or download of the original Myst online. I have tried and all pages that lead to the game seem to fizzle out or time out on me. I even went to cyan worlds page, where I was sent to an online store to purchase it for $5:99 but the page there kept freezing aswell, followed by windows error messages. I am asking because I played the game many moons ago and would like to try it again, and also you seem to know a little about PC's.......Pancho
As far as I know, Myst Online: URU Live is available by registering a free account and downloading the software from mystonline.com. The cavern is available but since very little new content is being added it is not as full of people as it once was. The original URU puzzles can be done by yourself but some of the later ages require some help to finish.

The software is for old versions of Windows (95, XP) but it can be run under WINE/Crossover on the Mac. If you encounter sound stuttering when running this way there are non-trivial instructions in the URU forums on how to manually decompress the sound files before running the game.

Also worth checking out are the later Zork games (the old text-only ones are great, of course, but some of the ones released in the 90s are well worth playing, too.) Nemesis was particularly good, in my opinion:

Zork: Nemesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have to agree with this. Out of all the old-fashioned puzzle games, Zork Nemesis seems to be at the top for me. The story and quality of the puzzles was very good.

There are some more modern ones, like Alan Wake and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, but they are going a bit away from probably what attracts you to the games.

There is the visual novel industry as well, which is similar and very popular in Asia, but unfortunately many are not translated. Saying that, bewarned that some of them are not suitable for minors as they classify more under the adult 'dating sim' genre.

Forgot to mention. Another two more modern puzzle adventure games would be Heavy Rain and Catherine. But you need a PS3 to play both of those. Catherine is really pushing the boundaries on the genre though by giving it a more platformer style at certain points.

Heavy Rain though, that is the best puzzle adventure game I've played since Zork Nemises, imo.

I just discovered that I could get Myst for my new iPad! I haven't played it since it came out originally, so I have forgotten most of it. A fact made painfully obvious by how stuck I immediately became upon entering. But I'll figure it out (again). :D

The only games like this I've really played are Broken Sword Sleeping Dragon, which I like to go back to every so often, and Riven.
Got to say, I like Riven but I just do not understand it. I have the official guide, telling you what to do and I still don't get it.

Oh, I forgot, I also played Journeyman 3: Legacy of Time. That was a fantastic game and I've completed it many times I love it so much. If you haven't already, that's one I'd really recommend.

I'm currently playing The Book of Unwritten Tales and it's very good so far. It's got a nice sense of humour, not too much relying on in-jokes, and it's made me laugh a few times so far. The voice acting is very good too, and the puzzles seem to be about the right level of difficulty. Recommended.

Another big adventure game fan here. More specifically, Myst-like games where you are the main character. For those who are interested, there is a recent new SF indie game released in this genre - ASA a Space Adventure.
www.aspaceadventure.fr

I've played some newer adventure games like Botanicula and Swords and Sworcery. Those games are great.

An update. The Obduction game if funded along with a stretch goal for oculus rift
(Virtual reality head set).