Myst, Syberia, and other (video) games like those

Yes! You know me well. Fellow writer, eh? :D

I thought I'd give Kate a varied list! :D

As for me, I've been here less so I could edit (not "write"; I finished writing it over a year ago) my first novel one last time; John Jarrold now has my manuscript and is professionally editing it. Very exciting! And I've also been working on book two, which I'm enjoying.

How's your novel/s coming along? You were here less, too, for a long while.

What about Schizm? It was a Myst-like game I saw in the stores a handful of years ago. Have anyone played that?

I've played that! :)

Although it wasn't that memorable, I must say...

Yes! You know me well. Fellow writer, eh? :D

I thought I'd give Kate a varied list! :D

As for me, I've been here less so I could edit (not "write"; I finished writing it over a year ago) my first novel one last time; John Jarrold now has my manuscript and is professionally editing it. Very exciting! And I've also been working on book two, which I'm enjoying.

How's your novel/s coming along? You were here less, too, for a long while.

I put my original project on hold to finish the young adult novel, which is coming along quite well. I'm almost finished with the second draft and should have the final completed by the end of the year. Unfortunately my hiatus wasn't as productive as yours. I got oodles of work done on the book, but I also had some health issues to address, namely a back problem relating to an accident I was in many years ago. Thankfully I'm back in the saddle (wink, for the horse lover) and I'm feeling fantastic.

I also loved the Money Island Series.
Leisha: great news about the book, let us know when you have a title and its published, we will all rush out and buy a copy!!!

I'm a big adventure game fan, too. Lots of good recommendations in this thread -- the Myst series is my all-time favorite, but the Syberia games were great, too. I also really like the Monkey Island series.

Here's one no one's mentioned: Obsidian. Really memorable, unusual settings:

Obsidian (computer game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also worth checking out are the later Zork games (the old text-only ones are great, of course, but some of the ones released in the 90s are well worth playing, too.) Nemesis was particularly good, in my opinion:

Zork: Nemesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the Myst series, it's interesting that so many people here dislike Riven so much. I loved it. And yes, Myst IV is way harder than Riven. But I liked it a lot -- it's actually the only one that's a direct sequel to the original Myst, and there are so many little references to the first game in Myst IV. The first Myst was such a groundbreaking experience -- I will never forget first playing it -- and to finally see little hints back to that first game, after playing through 2 and 3, which, while good, took the story in a different direction, was just wonderful.

I'd recommend avoiding a few adventure games, too -- I thought Beyond Atlantis was beyond awful, and The Crystal Key was pretty weak, too.

I put my original project on hold to finish the young adult novel, which is coming along quite well. I'm almost finished with the second draft and should have the final completed by the end of the year. Unfortunately my hiatus wasn't as productive as yours. I got oodles of work done on the book, but I also had some health issues to address, namely a back problem relating to an accident I was in many years ago. Thankfully I'm back in the saddle (wink, for the horse lover) and I'm feeling fantastic.

Yup, horse lover indeed! :p

I think I've completed nearly 8/9 drafts of my story, and my beginning alone has had 15 or so... (actually, to be honest, I've lost count.) I always find something to add, or something to change, or something to remove. One day I'll stop and say, "No more, you pedant!". Perhaps. I hope. Well, maybe.

But, yeah, you don't have to tell me about health issues interfering with writing. I know all about that, unfortunately. :mad:

I hope your back stays okay, Common. And hurry up with your novel, okay! I want to see your book in a store and say, "I know the author". :)

Plus, a few of us here said we'd all do signings together when we become well-known. You could too! :D

----------------------------------------------------

Tanga, I have to see whether it's any good first. For all I know, Mr Editor might say my work is far from publishable...

*bites fingernails*

Back on topic... I thought The Crystal Key was weak, too. Very unmemorable.

Are the Myst games stand-alone? I tried the first one but gave up after a while. Never went back to retry it.

I prefer RPG games such as warcraft/everquest, or world building simulations.

Yup, horse lover indeed! :p

I think I've completed nearly 8/9 drafts of my story, and my beginning alone has had 15 or so... (actually, to be honest, I've lost count.) I always find something to add, or something to change, or something to remove. One day I'll stop and say, "No more, you pedant!". Perhaps. I hope. Well, maybe.

But, yeah, you don't have to tell me about health issues interfering with writing. I know all about that, unfortunately.

I hope your back stays okay, Common. And hurry up with your novel, okay! I want to see your book in a store and say, "I know the author". :)

Plus, a few of us here said we'd all do signings together when we become well-known. You could too! :D

It's funny, but I do the same thing. I'm constantly rereading and revising as I go. I normally call it a "draft" when I've stopped myself from obsessively editing and have printed the novel in full form to read through several times (before starting the process over again).

And I would absolutely love doing a Chronsigning; I guess we'll all have to get our work finished and convince some of those publishers we hear so much about to give us some shelf space next to the pros.

As for the back, it's getting progressively better; I have idiopathic scoliosis, exacerbated by the car accident I mentioned previously, so it's an ongoing battle - but I remain optimistic and take life one day at a time (pardon the cliche).

So this doesn't get too far off topic: I love adventure games!

Choose a smiley to claim your prize:

:)

:D

LOL! Pick your smiley. :D

It may be worth looking at seeing a chiropractor, Common. I had a lot of lower back trouble and, thanks to my chiropractor, it's virtualy gone. And apparently my pelvis was rotated 30/40 degrees before she fixed it. :eek:

Might have had something to do with me falling downstairs as a child (I fell down five steps, turned a right angle, fell down another two, turned another right angle, then fell down another twelve steps. I'm still proud of that! I don't know anyone else who's done the same. Plus, I only got a bruise. :D)

You should chat in Sephs thread sometime, you know. It usually livens up if the Lord of the Thread is about.

Oh, and all the Chrons gang should select a target agent and spam them with our submissions. :p I'm sure said agent would love that.

Yes, adventure games are great!

LOL! I can see it now, like a scene from Children of the Corn. There we are, staring maniacally from the corner of the dimly lit room, our eyes milk white our manuscripts in one hand, a variety of sharpened garden tools in the other, whispering: "Get us published..." in low, drawling voices.

*shivers*

I actually do see a Chiropractor; I worked as a physical therapist and X-ray tech for him for a few years and he's one of the best I've come across. I do a consistent treatment; one adjustment per week along with inter-segmental traction and range of motion exercises.

...and we're totally hijacking this thread right now.

On topic: If you haven't played the updated, fully 3D copy of Myst find it asap and give it a go, it's definitely worth revisiting.

I have to admit, I cheat. I print out the walkthroughs online for these games and use them heavily as a reference when I get stuck or lost. Print out a walkthrough to Riven, and it will help you get past the hard parts if needed.
Finally someone who admits it :D
I do that too, all the time...

But when replaying, I try to do without. I've gotten pretty far in Thief: The Dark Project now without consulting the walkthorugh.

*resists the urge to chat further*

Are the Myst games stand-alone? I tried the first one but gave up after a while. Never went back to retry it.

I prefer RPG games such as warcraft/everquest, or world building simulations.

I've never actually finished a Myst game, even though I have two (I could never get into them), but I'm sure you can play each separately.

Unless someone corrects me...

The Gabriel Knight games were great, in particular The Beast Within. I recently played the first Phantasmagoria again after many many years and I found it a bit boring this time around, however if you have never played it, I think it would be enjoyable.

Loved the original Myst, took me ages and ages to complete it, but I loved it, got my brain thinking big time.
The old Indy games although they had an element of shooting in them were also good as far as problem solving was concerned, I think The Fate of Atlantis was one of the better ones.
Also a really old one that I loved is Day of the Tentacle - LucasArt Game and what a laugh, I still love this one and played it not to long ago and enjoyed it as much.
There was also Return to Zork, although I never played this I have heard many people recommend it.
Happy gaming

I still haven't played the original Myst. I just finished Myst 3! I'm really bummed they are stopping at Myst 5, and not making any more. I'm assuming some of these are PC games? The games I've played so far are X-Box and Playstation compatible. But I don't mind playing on my PC too. (I've just been spoiled by console games)

Adventure games are my favourite! I remember being awed by the graphics of Syberia – especially the train, and the station, and the streets, and I could go on and on!

I’ve played all the Broken Sword games too! Number two will always be my favourite, though. And I’ve played The Black Mirror, although I wouldn’t say it’s memorable.

Hey, if you love Syberia like I do, Kate, you should try these, which I recommend (although I haven't played all of the Nancy Drew games):

(The games with an asterisk are absolute must-play ones)

*The Longest Journey (number one) MUST PLAY!
*Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (number two) MUST PLAY!
*Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (I) MUST PLAY!
*Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror (II) MUST PLAY!
Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon (III)
Broken Sword: The Angel of Death (IV)
*The Secret of Monkey Island MUST PLAY!
*The Curse of Monkey Island MUST PLAY!
*Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge MUST PLAY!
*Curse of Enchantia MUST PLAY!
*Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis MUST PLAY!
*Discworld MUST PLAY!
*Discworld II: Mortality Bytes MUST PLAY!
Discworld Noir
*NiBiRu: Age of Secrets MUST PLAY!
Return to Mysterious Island
Amerzone: The Explorer's Legacy
Riddle of the Sphinx
Riddle of the Sphinx II: The Omega Stone
Dark Fall
Watchmaker
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Mystery of the Nautilus
Nancy Drew: The Creature of Kapu Cave
Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor
Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor
Nancy Drew: Danger by Design
Nancy Drew: Danger on Deception Island
Nancy Drew: The Deadly Secret of Olde World Park
Nancy Drew: The Final Scene
Nancy Drew: Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake
Nancy Drew: The Haunted Carousel
Nancy Drew: Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon
Nancy Drew: Legend of the Crystal Skull
Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion
Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill
Nancy Drew: Secret of the Old Clock
Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand
Nancy Drew: Secret of Shadow Ranch
Nancy Drew: Stay Tuned for Danger
Nancy Drew: Stay Tuned for Danger
Nancy Drew: Treasure in the Royal Tower
Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek

Good link for you: JA+ Review Index

Wow, thank you! I've heard of The Nancy Drew games, but never played any of them. Wasn't there some kind of Sherlock Holmes game too, years ago, that was in the same vein as The Nancy Drew ones?

I'm a big adventure game fan, too. Lots of good recommendations in this thread -- the Myst series is my all-time favorite, but the Syberia games were great, too. I also really like the Monkey Island series.

Here's one no one's mentioned: Obsidian. Really memorable, unusual settings:

Obsidian (computer game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also worth checking out are the later Zork games (the old text-only ones are great, of course, but some of the ones released in the 90s are well worth playing, too.) Nemesis was particularly good, in my opinion:

Zork: Nemesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the Myst series, it's interesting that so many people here dislike Riven so much. I loved it. And yes, Myst IV is way harder than Riven. But I liked it a lot -- it's actually the only one that's a direct sequel to the original Myst, and there are so many little references to the first game in Myst IV. The first Myst was such a groundbreaking experience -- I will never forget first playing it -- and to finally see little hints back to that first game, after playing through 2 and 3, which, while good, took the story in a different direction, was just wonderful.

I'd recommend avoiding a few adventure games, too -- I thought Beyond Atlantis was beyond awful, and The Crystal Key was pretty weak, too.

Thank you for the recommendations. I wish they'd make a Syberia III. I'd love too see Kate continue on more adventures.

*resists the urge to chat further*

I've never actually finished a Myst game, even though I have two (I could never get into them), but I'm sure you can play each separately.

Unless someone corrects me...

They are definitely singular experiences. Though it's good to know the previous plots before heading into a new Myst title, it's often unnecessary, as each game does a good job of updating you threw the actual story. Myst 3 went so far as incorporating flashbacks.

They are definitely singular experiences. Though it's good to know the previous plots before heading into a new Myst title, it's often unnecessary, as each game does a good job of updating you threw the actual story. Myst 3 went so far as incorporating flashbacks.

Myst 3 was great. I really enjoyed that one. It was way too short actually. I liked all the various endings you could try at the end of the game for different endings.

I think I'll try Myst 5 next, then go backwards again, and try the first Myst and then Riven, and possible that URU offshoot Myst game.

Has anyone played URU?

Yes, played it and enjoyed it, though it was a little strange in places (which is saying a lot for a Myst title). Give it a whirl, it's definitely worth playing (though the very first puzzle is a zinger).

Yes, played it and enjoyed it, though it was a little strange in places (which is saying a lot for a Myst title). Give it a whirl, it's definitely worth playing (though the very first puzzle is a zinger).

Cool.

I just found the Playstation 1 versions of Myst and Riven tonight online! I ordered both of them! I can't wait to get them! Finally, I'll be able to play the first two games of the series. So excited! :D (it takes very little to make me happy these days)

I finally got the original Myst, and it played great, until the last part of the game, and then it froze. Grrrr! That's what I get for ordering an older game online I guess.

I'm debating on whether I want to try and return the game and get a new disk, and try playing it all over again, till I get to the last part. Not sure yet.

Hoping to get Riven soon.

Even though it was weird to see the older graphics on the original Myst, once I got used to them, it was still a great game. Loved the library part.