Least Favorite Character

Sansa still did betray her father for Joff...that's just wrong.
She betrayed her father because she did not want to leave Kings Landing, for her it was everything she could never have in Winterfell. I'm not trying to justify the things she did, but she was ruled by emotion. A girl of 11 can't see the bigger picture or what's right, she only sees her father will not listen to her and does not care about her happiness. You're telling me you've never gotten angry at your parents or siblings because you didn't think they weren't considering your feelings? How could she possibly know her actions would cause so much trouble for her father?

Again, even though Eddard was one of my favorite characters, it's his own fault he's dead. (And that idiot Robert for getting him into that mess.)

You can't hate a selfish, ignorant child, blinded by emotion, for being a kid. If you do you're acting just like she does towards Arya. :p

She betrayed her father because she did not want to leave Kings Landing, for her it was everything she could never have in Winterfell. I'm not trying to justify the things she did, but she was ruled by emotion. A girl of 11 can't see the bigger picture or what's right, she only sees her father will not listen to her and does not care about her happiness. You're telling me you've never gotten angry at your parents or siblings because you didn't think they weren't considering your feelings? How could she possibly know her actions would cause so much trouble for her father?

Again, even though Eddard was one of my favorite characters, it's his own fault he's dead. (And that idiot Robert for getting him into that mess.)

You can't hate a selfish, ignorant child, blinded by emotion, for being a kid. If you do you're acting just like she does towards Arya. :p

I dont hate her, i dislike her. And a girl of 11 CAN see the bigger picture of what is right. She knew what she did was wrong when she did it. Thats like saying you should never punish children for their misdemeanors cause they dont understand that what they did is wrong. I am currently learning to be an elementary school teacher (2nd year out of third) and one of the things you got to learn our the children (mental) development. At age 11 children do have a clear picture of what is good and bad, right and wrong. While she was ignorant and she did not know the consequences of her actions, she still knew very well that she was betraying her father. Even if her actions did not have had those consequences, i cannot help but dislike her for it. (among other things).

Personally i think you put 11 year olds too much on a pedestial. They are most definitely not as sweet, and innocent as you see them. Sansa may see herself as a little princess, she most definitely is not.

By pedestal, you mean to say I think children can do no wrong, and should not be taught right from wrong? Certainly not. As for me seeing Sansa as being sweet and innocent, I don't think anything I said came off that way. I said she was a selfish child (and I will add miserable).

When I've seen grown women, and a few men, act completely irrationally because of their emotions, can I understand a child being ruled by hers? Yes. When you're blinded by emotion, it is impossible to see things clearly. Does that exscuse her? Ofcourse not.

But there are many more disfavorable people in the series I should think. :p I was mad as hell for what she did, and what happened to Ned because of it; but I forgave her for being selfish. Why won't you? :( It's your opinon and I'll stop making a fight out of it, I can hardly remember the intricacies of the story to tell the truth, so everything is probably not straight in my head. (By big picture, I meant the desperate situation Eddard was in.)

Perhaps if she had shown an improvement since then, however she is as selfish as ever.

You almost sound offended because my post didn't agree with yours. You're not the only person to list Theon in this thread ;).

I was definately not offended by your thread. :) Sorry if I came across that way, I just wanted to make sure I made the point that Theon was one of my least favorite characters, I didn't hate him. They are two different things to me. Besides, we come to these boards to hear others opinions and to express our own, so it would be crazy to be offended by someone just because they don't agree with you.:eek::D

On the Sansa discussion, I do believe that Sansa knew that what she was doing was wrong. In one of her POV chapters in AGOT (which I am currently rereading) these are her thoughts about going to Cersei with the information of her fathers actions:

"She (Sansa) was the good girl, the obedient girl, but she had felt as wicked as Arya that morning, sneaking away from Septa Mordane, defying her lord father."

She admits that she felt that what she was doing was wrong, but she did it anyway, out of love for Joffrey. Man, if that girl could only have looked into the future...

I've got to agree with everyone saying that Sansa knew what she was doing. Blinded by emotion and love, yes, but still very aware of what she was doing. It wouldn't have been so bad if Cersei wasn't the complete embodiment of evil and playing the game of thrones so hard. Oh well, I still have hope for the girl. She's not one of my favorite characters but I always figured she was destined for something great because 1) she's a Stark (i.e. "good guy") and 2) GRRM spends a lot of time giving her a POV. It wouldn't make sense to give her own POV for 4 books full of abuse and terrible things happening only to have her end up doing basically nothing like, say, Robb or Rickon, the two Starks with no POV who end up being cast aside in one way or another.

You're so funny. Yes, Biter should qualify to be anyone's "Least Favorite Character List."

Gosh, now you made me think about him. Yuck!

Vizion, Sansa's not Stark, really. I think George told us that in the first book by killing Sansa's wolf, Lady.

Yes, as illustrated in the first chapter of the first book. Theon is a creep. However, when I saw in the index who he was (Ed's ward), I hoped he may grow to have a shred of honor. Not so. Very disappointing.

Vizion, Sansa's not Stark, really. I think George told us that in the first book by killing Sansa's wolf, Lady.
You're saying that Sansa will never come around and be able to ever rejoin her family? You think she's beyond redemption? Hmmmm.

i think that killing Lady was the first sign that Sansa was going to be stripped of everything she held dear. But most importantly that moment showed exactly why apart from only one other character, i hated Ned the most.
I utterly loathed Ned Stark from that moment onwards, and though i didn't cheer when he was beheaded with his own sword, i had a grim satisfaction. he was a fool!

the other character i loathe is Tyrion Lannister. From the very first description of him i knew i would dislike the character, but i never suspected i would grow to despise the self-deluded Imp as much as i do.

These two are the characters which are my "Least Favourite" but there are a couple of others that i dislike intensely also...

Stannis Baratheon
Robert Baratheon
Joffrey Baratheon
Daenerys Targaryen
Viserys Targaryen
Davos Seaworth
Jorah Mormont

Wow, devilsgrin, you dislike a lot of the most popular characters! I can see why you hate Eddard (I'm not his biggest fan, either) and even Tyrion but I'd love to hear your reasons about Dany and Davos.

Also, DeannaBelle, I've heard that Sansa is not really a Stark anymore since she lost her wolf (even GRRM implied that, right?) but maybe it's not what people think. Maybe her lack of Stark-ness will allow her to be the first Stark that can play the game of thrones. She still has a huge role to play and her decidedly unStark-like political awareness will probably be what the Starks need to get back into power. I mean, no one in the book is going to say, "Uh, you're not really a Stark because you lost your wolf so you'd best join up with the Lannisters".

This is a hard thread there are none i really hate, but there are some i dislike.

Joffrey, a spoiled little sadistic brat, he deserve a more painfull ending than he got :D

"Late" Lord Frey, i hated him since the first chapter and after The Red Wedding, i was reading to look up for a Fre in my local phonebook to give some payback :)

In the first book i like Dany, the second book i hated her and then by the third book i like her again, so love-hate relationship here :p

But thats actually the only ones, i even love Gregor Clegane, Cersei and everyone else and as one of the only ones on this board im a huge fan of Stannis :rolleyes:

You're so funny. Yes, Biter should qualify to be anyone's "Least Favorite Character List."

No way!

Sure he's a terrible human being, but as a character? It's characters like this one that make Martin's world so brutal and terrifying; I consider him a good character, not a poor one!

Rohan, great distinction!

Biter, Vargo, Janos, Cersei, Catelyn, Tywin, Tyrion, Jaime, Lysa, Littlefinger, Jorah, and Viserys are all bad people, yet they are all precisely developed characters. One of the ways Martin has sucked me in is by making complex villains.

My hatred of Catelyn is known in this forum, but mayhaps that's because she's so much like me. My weaknesses and good intentions are displayed in all of Catelyn's actions and words.

Jaime and Tyrion are bad guys, but both desperately desire to be heroes. Along with their characteristics of self-preservation, vengeance, and lust/love, redemption is one of their great motivations. Handless and Noseless. Kingslayer and Kinslayer. Stannis and Davos understand that deeds are independent of each other. A good act does not wipe out a bad act nor vice-versa. Even if Jaime protects Sansa, kills Cersei, and saves KL from another holocaust... he still defenestrated a little boy.

Rohan, great distinction!

Biter, Vargo, Janos, Cersei, Catelyn, Tywin, Tyrion, Jaime, Lysa, Littlefinger, Jorah, and Viserys are all bad people, yet they are all precisely developed characters. One of the ways Martin has sucked me in is by making complex villains.

George Martin writes the "texture" of villainy so well; indeed, it has resulted in many of my favourite characters being of the "evil" bent. Despite hating them as fictitious people, I love the wonderful execution of their various characters. :)

I'm not sure that I would call all of the people on your list "bad", but they have all certainly done some off-colour things. But I wonder; living in a world such as that one, and in the circumstances that they do, how possible would it be to remain both squeaky-clean and alive? :D

But I wonder; living in a world such as that one, and in the circumstances that they do, how possible would it be to remain both squeaky-clean and alive? :D

Ask Robb and Eddard Stark.

Exactly. It seems impossible.

This was the quandary in Glory. The scene between Denzel Washington and Matthew Broderick, where Broderick asks Washington to carry the company colors, gets to the heart of the story. It stinks. It stinks real bad. The only way to even attempt to regain glory, honor, and the moral high ground is to "kick in like men." Life is not a song, sweetling.

Valar morghulis. All men must die. There should be a saying All men will fall. All men do fall and fail. But struggling for redemption, fighting against one's evil tendencies is right and good.

And the men who don't care about honor, i.e. Littlefinger, make excellent characters to despise.

Ask Robb and Eddard Stark.

Yes, my point exactly. I can't help but feel for Tyrion especially, when I talk about circumstance. A misshapen dwarf with a disdain for authority could hardly have been born to more inappropriate and unaccepting family!