Will computers eventually outsmart people?

You would really have to define what 'outsmart' is. Because, as has been pointed out, the speed that a computer can calculate is beyond that of a normal person and so with any math a computer could already be said to 'outsmart' people.

Okay, what I meant was passing the Turing test and begin a process of intelligence explosion which includes the capability of self-improvements.

Computers can be programmed to mimic human brain functions, pattern recognitions, etc. Yahoo sends spiders around the web to find info, cookies in your computer tag what you like and don't like and offer suggestions (via advertising) that they think you might like. Hell, my cousin has a camera that can focus on a face. Computers can, to a degree, master language and recognize it when you scan a sheet into the computer.

But it all depends on what we program it to do. Though give it enough time, and a computer can likely tell you more about yourself than you'll be comfortable hearing, because they can track such huge amounts of data without the limits of the mind and body. And it's only a matter of time until computers take over the world, or until a handful of people take over the world with these computers, because foresight in the face of new technology isn't one of humanity's assets.;)

I think the whole idea of the movie Terminator is too far. If a computer gets too smart, what do you do!?
Pull the plug...
But, I must think all of the sudden...hmm...could we shut down the internet if we tried. It is almost a living breathing thing....hmmm....

Sounds like a common virus to me. Nothing is completely immune to every single virus, and some are just like major programs. So that's not really being smarter than a human...I'm sure there's people out there smart enough not to fall for it.

Does it give itself away by complaining about all the diodes down its side aching when you suggest an early night?

Aren't computers outsmarting most people already? Lemme, rephrase that even! Aren't sand grains outsmarting most people already?

Computers will only outsmart people if people let them, if indeed these 'complicated electronic circuits' will ever be formed. Computers are stupid; they can only do what ever you tell them to do, including what viruses do.

Don't forget that the standard of education must be maintained, if not be raised. If we're to create this technology, we need our Youth to grow up smarter, and in a sense so that they come to create better technology - just like how we are creating better technology than the technology made even as early as the 90's.