Bought some fairly cheap anime/mangas from Amazon :-

The seminal "Ghost in the Shell"
"Vampire Hunter"
"Patlabor"
"Patlabor 2"
"Tokyo Godfathers"
"Appleseed"
"Legend of the Overfiend"

All of them pretty decent transfers with subtitles rather than poorly-done English dubbing. And most of these were released in the early 00s, what I would consider the best era for Japanese manga.

Last night I picked up the complete Friday the 13th The Series a really terrific tv show.(y)

I probably hadn't bought my first DVD when this thread was started but ended up with well over 100, most of which I hadn't watched until the past year. I've recently sold 58 DVDs for £15 - now to watch the rest for more of a clear out, so a reverse of what seems to be going on here...

I hadn't watched such classics as Terminator, Reservoir Dogs, Fargo, Casablanca, The Shawshank Redemption and more until recently. Fargo and Dogs were just okay, but the other 3 are excellent. Avoiding spoilers for some films and TV series is rather difficult. I'm only on series 4 of Game of Thrones, and series 3 of Breaking Bad.

Am a big fan of Japanese actor/director, Takeshi Kitano, and have had the great pleasure of watching nearly all of his films over the last 20 years or so.

But now a handful are coming through as BluRay releases, so couldn't resist buying what I would consider some of his best work:-

Zatoichi
Outage / Beyond Outrage
Battle Royale
Kikurijiro
A Scene By The Sea
Dolls

and of course, Hanabi!

Not a cheap option, but quite frankly I don't care, because the end result of all these films is superb!

I'm a fan too. I haven't seen Dolls or the Outrage films yet though. I'm an even bigger fan of Joe Hisaishi, who composed the soundtracks for a lot of Kitano's films. I saw him perform a few years ago and he played Summer from Kikujiro, one of my favourites. :D I'm seeing him again next month, but it's for Studio Ghibli, so none of the above will feature.

I probably hadn't bought my first DVD when this thread was started but ended up with well over 100, most of which I hadn't watched until the past year. I've recently sold 58 DVDs for £15 - now to watch the rest for more of a clear out, so a reverse of what seems to be going on here...

I hadn't watched such classics as Terminator, Reservoir Dogs, Fargo, Casablanca, The Shawshank Redemption and more until recently. Fargo and Dogs were just okay, but the other 3 are excellent. Avoiding spoilers for some films and TV series is rather difficult. I'm only on series 4 of Game of Thrones, and series 3 of Breaking Bad.

I'm a fan too. I haven't seen Dolls or the Outrage films yet though. I'm an even bigger fan of Joe Hisaishi, who composed the soundtracks for a lot of Kitano's films. I saw him perform a few years ago and he played Summer from Kikujiro, one of my favourites. :D I'm seeing him again next month, but it's for Studio Ghibli, so none of the above will feature.

Joe Hisaishi is one reason why I got so hooked on Takeshi's films! His piano signature was particularly strong throughout "Sonatine", "Hanabi" and of course "Kikujiro". But I have also listened and enjoyed his concerts, thus proving he is no one-trick pony. Shame he had a bit of a falling out with Takeshi a few years back.

Hope you enjoy the concert(y)

Despite posting about getting rid of DVDs a couple of posts back, I've added series 1 & 2 of 15 Storeys High (with Sean Lock & Benedict Wong), a British comedy, to my collection. I seem to be adding TV and getting rid of film.

Joe Hisaishi is one reason why I got so hooked on Takeshi's films! His piano signature was particularly strong throughout "Sonatine", "Hanabi" and of course "Kikujiro". But I have also listened and enjoyed his concerts, thus proving he is no one-trick pony. Shame he had a bit of a falling out with Takeshi a few years back.

Hope you enjoy the concert(y)

Great! He has quite a recognisable sound too - I remember watching a South Korean film called Welcome to Dongmakol, thinking the music sounded very familiar. When I checked, it was Joe Hisaishi. I didn't know about the falling out with Takeshi - that's a shame.

I have a lot of DVD's. Let's see...

Comedies/Family movies:

Captain Ron
50 First Dates
Better Off Dead
Office Space
I Spy
Night Shift
Scrubs (Season 1 - 8)
The Whole Nine Yards
Twins
Junior
Kindergarten Cop
Cutthroat Island
Finding Memo
Analyze This
Quigley Down Under
The Secret

Science Fiction/Fantasy:

Judge Dredd
Star Wars (Episode 3 & 7)
Chronicles of Riddick
Star Trek Nemesis
John Carter of Mars
The Hobbit (1, 2, & 3)
Lord of the Rings (Extended Edition with the making of appendices)
Battlestar Galactica (Seasons 1, 2, 2.5, 3)
Battlestar Galactica Mini Series
Battlestar Galactica Razor
Warcraft
Underworld
Underworld Evolution

Action/Adventure/Drama/Historical:

Lethal Weapon 1 - 4
Cobra
Running Scared
Flesh and Blood
Red Dragon
Desperado
Point Break
A History of Violence
Troy (Plus making of)
Daredevil (Plus making of)
Triple X
Gladiator
Last of the Mohicans
The Emerald Forest
The Legend of Tarzan

Monster Movies:

Lake Placid
Godzilla
King Kong
Reign of Fire

Documentaries/Nature:

Predators
Great White Death
20 Years with Dolphins
Living with Wolves
Disney's Earth
Planet Earth (1 - 5)
Spiders and Beetles
National Geographic in Search of the Jaguar
National Geographic Predators and Hunters

I'm waiting to get Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2 (when it comes out on DVD).

Killjoys series 2.

Very much looking forward to watching this.

No bar hopping this weekend:

Image (165).jpg
Image (166).jpg

Image (164).jpg

I just finish watching Twin Peaks, The Complete Series (The Definitive Gold Box Edition.) Our library district has it, so I checked it out. It took me three weeks to watch it all: the pilot and 29 episodes. I never saw it before - well just an occasional episode here and there. I also checked out the prequel, Fire Walk With Me. I'll watch it tonight (although my expectations are low.)

The Pilot and Season 1 are both excellent - very tight and intriguing. Season 2 journeys into soap-opera-land fairly quickly, but it's still good except for a few ridiculous tangents (i.e, the Civil War) and more than a few unresolved subplots (but I guess that's why Lynch finally made Season 3.)

One thing that struck me, especially during Season 2, is how it almost segues into The X Files.

Christmas was very good to my DVD shelves. I got Rogue One and seasons two and three of the Miller/Liu Elementary.

Another video rental is biting the dust. $5.99 each or five for $20. Well, I can handle that occasionally. Doing my best to avoid slop, here's what I walked out with:

Image (192).jpg
Image (193).jpg

Image (194).jpg
Image (195).jpg

Image (196).jpg

Chelsea Quinn Yarbro wrote the novelization for DEAD AND BURIED so thought that might be worth watching; BYZANTIUM has Saoirse Ronan so figured couldn't go wrong with that; read good things about THE MIDNIGHT MEAT TRAIN in Rue Morgue so that seemed like a good bet; have PHANTASM 1-4 so thought why not get number 5; don't know nothin' about Umberto Lenzi but since everyone knows a little Euro trash is good for the soul how could I not secure the only copy left of his SEVEN BLOOD STAINED ORCHIDS for personal amelioration?

It's hard to believe an hour has gone by since I made the above post. Now it's too late. I used a term I shouldn't have: Euro trash. I first seen it in the horror magazine Rue Morgue and without giving it a second thought it just shot off the tip of my type writing fingers as easily as Spaghetti Western or Bollywood. Should have used giallo or something along those lines. If I offended anyone in Europe I sincerely apologize. I just ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Never have been, never will be.

I just bought Marjorie Prime and Blade Runner 2049.

It's hard to believe an hour has gone by since I made the above post. Now it's too late. I used a term I shouldn't have: Euro trash.
As long as you aren't saying all Euro's are trash I don't think that is an insult. You get "trash" everywhere. There used to be an eye opening tv program called Eurotrash.