L Ron Hubbard - Battlefield Earth

Pepper was not good but the direction is most at fault especially the phenominal number of dutched angles which, I'd guess, were trying to engender a kind of comic book vitality to the proceedings but just ended up convincing the audience that no one had really thought anything through and the director was trying to distract with choppy camera angles. I've seen a few other films directed by Roger Christian which were much less 'stylish'. At best they were competant. He was totally out of his depth in Battlefield Earth.

I would like to seen what James Cameron, Alex Proyas or John McTiernan could have done with this film.

If they do remake it then it'll probably follow the 'new format' of casting women (like they did with Ghostbusters)
So we'll have Melissa McCarthy as the bad Psychlo and Margot Robbie as the human hero

Battlefield Earth is the equivalent of crisps. You know they aren’t really good for you but it’s hard not to finish the bag once you open it. BE requires no thinking so it’s easy to just let the action sweep you away for a while.

Battlefield Earth is the equivalent of crisps. You know they aren’t really good for you but it’s hard not to finish the bag once you open it. BE requires no thinking so it’s easy to just let the action sweep you away for a while.

On that level it pretty exciting stuff.:)

I've neither read the book nor seen the movie but I did visit the L Ron Hubbard museum in LA and there was a Battlefield Earth display with a (waxwork?) version of the John Travolta character.

The museum is great fun but also a little sad. Our guide was a girl from Sweden, who I'm guessing was lured to LA and now was in a position where she owed everything to the church.

It's regarded as one of the worst films ever made. It was considered a disaster by the Church of Scientology, and Travolta was lambasted as a result (although it wasn't his fault). I thought it was befitting, a ridiculous film linked to a ridiculous (not to mention unscrupulous) ideology. Anybody interested in Scientology should read Going Clear, by Lawrence Wright.

It's regarded as one of the worst films ever made. It was considered a disaster by the Church of Scientology, and Travolta was lambasted as a result (although it wasn't his fault). I thought it was befitting, a ridiculous film linked to a ridiculous (not to mention unscrupulous) ideology. Anybody interested in Scientology should read Going Clear, by Lawrence Wright.
With the right director and producer and scriptwriter , it could conceivably have become a very lucrative film franchise . They could gotten aat least 3 films out it. The potential was there.