Firefly

Discussion in 'Firefly General Discussions' started by unclejack, Sep 23, 2007.

unclejack

unclejack New Member

Hello all, I finally got around to renting the first disc of Firefly and watchin it and I loved it. It only had three episodes and I have to wait for a week or so before the next one comes because their comin from Netflix but I'm ready for the whole season. It is definately very original. I've never really seen a sci fi/western theme being done before and they seem to pull it off very well. Plus I really like the characters in the show too. They actually manage to grace the subject of faith with Shepherd without managing to be offensive or making it appear to be something obscure and bizarre. Kaylee (I think that's her name) is also one of my favorite characters in the show. Finding a character that is so well balanced and has such a good disposition and a kind heart is very rare in tv. Usually they try to surround you with characters who are very abrasive and have a mysterious hardened side to them that is usually all you see. I guess their scared that someone who is real will come off as being boring but that's not the way I read it at all with her character. I thought she added a good balance to the show. The captain of course has issues but her character coupled with some of the other characters manage to balance everything out. Anyway, sorry for the randomness of my randomness but I was just really impressed with the show. Later.
    PTeppic

PTeppic Reetou Diplomatic Corp

It's a treat of a show and you've got some great episodes to come....
    Joel007

Joel007 Shiny! Let's be bad guys.

Shiny! hope you enjoy them all as much as I did :)
    Overread

Overread Direwolf of the chrons

I Really suggest going though the extras on the DVDs, there is a great scene with Zoe and Simon which outlines how truly bad the war, especailly the last encounter - probalby cut because it is word, but I think it adds real depth.
    Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

unclejack

unclejack New Member

Yes, but I've found that many people don't respond on alot of the sub forums. This tends to be the most active place on this site from my perspective.
    Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

I can only speak for myself. I've lost my subscriptions to most of the threads in the sub-forums. That means I have to actively go and check for new posts.

There are individual episode threads there for Firefly and some very good discussions. If you join them maybe that will encourage others to return too.
    Connavar

Connavar New Member

No wonder those forums are death.

I have painful memories of what happened to this great show. The way it ended. Bloody fox, hope they burn in you know where.

I avoid that forums if i can.....
    steve12553

steve12553 The Enigma of Steel

There was a lot of talk about a second movie, but I've not heard anything in a long while. I saw the movie first (having somehow completely missing the original series run), then went back and bought the DVD set of the series and spent 14 evenings watching the series as it should have been seen. I'm ready for more but I suspect it may have fallen into the cracks.
    clovis-man

clovis-man Prehistoric Irish Cynic

It does seem to be true, from this newcomer's eyes, that the Firefly sub forum is pretty quiet. Not many new posts.

I have to say that I don't think there is a high likelihood of a "Serenity" movie sequel. A lot of plot mysteries were resolved in the movie, plus a couple of major characters were rubbed out. Reminiscent of the "Farscape" Gotterdammerung.

Some food for thought: I went to a film seminar the first of this year and the instructor for one segment was quite willing to discuss Joss Whedon's work. She made the point that Firefly was a sci-fi version of "Stagecoach". I have to admit she has a point. Similar characters: a doctor, a prostitute, a gunslinger (John Wayne as Mal???) and even a preacher (the liquor salesman repeatedly referred to as "the reverend" by the doctor, Thomas Mitchell). Lots of adventures along the way. I can definitely see it.

I wonder if Joss Whedon ever admitted to a connection.

Regards,

Jim
    tangaloomababe

tangaloomababe Living in Paradise

Uncle Jack I am so glad you are enjoying Firefly, I thought you would. The episodes just get better and better too.

Originally posted by Clovis-man

Excellent point Clovis, I hadn't thought of it that way but its an interesting comparasion.

No doubt you will love the whole series Jack!
    unclejack

unclejack New Member

Thanks, I watched four more episodes from Netfix on disc two this past weekend. Only two more discs left which should be about eight more episodes. It is only gettin better and I love it. I think Kaylee is my favorite character but I love em all. By the way, watch it on those spoilers yall...I haven't seen the rest of the season or the movie yet.
    tangaloomababe

tangaloomababe Living in Paradise

Jack I think my fav episode is Out of Gas (no 6) won't spoil it for you but I love this episode... Something to look forward to.
    Musky

Musky New Member

I've seen Serenity and enjoyed it immensely. Good story but I really was taken with the sharp dialogue. Very much like an old western.

I have not seen the series. Have I ruined the series by seeing the movie first? I'm thinking I might enjoy getting the whole back story, especially if the dialogue is as snappy.
    Joel007

Joel007 Shiny! Let's be bad guys.

In the series you get to know the characters in a way that just isnt possible within the time constraints of a film. I think the episodes are done in such a way that the ending isn't as important as how they all got there (in fact a few episodes start with the ending, then go back and explain it). So if you liked the film, you should love the episodes, and I doubt foreknowledge of the future will spoil the witty interactions which make Firefly great :)
    Bant Warick

Bant Warick Guild wars addict

Recently bought firefly from virgin for the bargain price of 11.99! can't wait to sit down and watch em all (again).
    unclejack

unclejack New Member

I've seen 7 episodes so far so if Out of Gas is no. 6 then yes I've seen it but I can't recall which one it was. The last one I watched was Jaynetown which I really liked. It showed a side of Jayne that I haden't seen yet and made him seem more real.
    Overread

Overread Direwolf of the chrons

"Jane. The man the call Jane"
    great song that - there is an extra - can't remember if it is on the episode disk or another - which shows Jane singing the song himself.
    Highlander II

Highlander II There can be only one!! Staff Member

I've moved this thread to the Firefly subforum w/ a redirect from the main forum. Should lead the traffic that way.
    AE35Unit

AE35Unit ]==[]===O °

I totally missed this show,thinking it was fantasy. There's been some trailers on Sky1 or Watch recently and I'm hoping to catch it this time.