Will there ever be a new series?

matt-browne-sfw

Matt Browne SFW
Well, we had Voyager, then jumped back in time to Star Trek: Enterprise with Captain Archer (actually I like the series and it's a pity there are only 4 seasons).

What comes next? A new series? A time jump beyond the time of Captain Janeway? The year 2500?

Any rumors?

There is a new film in production - that all I know officially.
Personally I think it has pretty much run its coarse with exploration storylines - origainl, enterprise, Next gen and voyager - they really can't do another and voyager was starting to push at the limit of what I think the technology of the federation should be before things get a little silly - - or complex -- mass timetravel storylines - cool idea but very hard to produce and get new viewers for.

They could try another series which breaks the mold - like DS9 did - but with the amount of depth that is present in the franchise adding a random new key element to any of the current time lines and the story begins to stretch a bit thin - that was my assessment of the enterprise series.

There is a new film in production - that all I know officially.
Personally I think it has pretty much run its coarse with exploration storylines - origainl, enterprise, Next gen and voyager - they really can't do another and voyager was starting to push at the limit of what I think the technology of the federation should be before things get a little silly - - or complex -- mass timetravel storylines - cool idea but very hard to produce and get new viewers for.

They could try another series which breaks the mold - like DS9 did - but with the amount of depth that is present in the franchise adding a random new key element to any of the current time lines and the story begins to stretch a bit thin - that was my assessment of the enterprise series.

Why not push beyond the limits of Voyager? Why stick to the four quadrants in the Milky Way.

In the 2561 the first Federation Starship could be headed for the Magellanic Clouds or Andromeda. With CGI getting less expensive alien life forms could be depicted more alien. There is a huge consumer market and millions of Star Trek fans. Why lose the business?

Because any new alien encounters would simply be repeats of encounter they have done before. The covered so much material that it would be very hard to give the series any originaillity - something that so far only DS9 has done by being a saitionary setting and by involving a more political storyline than exploration.

Also I feel that any sci-fi series has its own level of technology, go above that and you lose the feel of the show - - travelling to another galaxy, bye bye warp drive, or call i t hype drive - It just loses its origianl feel and won't be star trek any more but something else with some ties - which will hold it back.
Rather make something new and give it its own life and setting

Rather make something new and give it its own life and setting
Yes, but all that back-story, all those alien species with such detailed histories, all that geography, the technology - it just makes for a fantastic canvas to put new stories on.

DS9 was not originally planned as a Star Trek series. It was pitched as a space station series - whether the idea came before Babylon 5 or after is a moot point - but they realised at Paramount that using the Star Trek Universe was just too good an idea to miss.

There will certainly be another Star Trek series. There has to be. How long before it happens - who knows?

I do think it has lost its way at the moment though, and it also suffered from overkill during the late nineties.

I thought that the best thing Paramount could've done was make a film which led into a new series which would be set after Voyager's return (whether immediately after or decades after).

It seems unlikely with the current list of actors appearing in the new prequel film that this would develop into a series. I would be very interested to see what JJ Abrahms could come up with for a new series, but it must be set in the future. Star Trek must move forward or it will die!

I think there will definitely be another series and probably sooner then there should be, there's just too much money involved for Paramount (or whoever makes the decisions) to sit on it for too long.

It will be interesting to see what new angle they try to put on it, maybe the first series not centred on the Federation? I doubt they'd go so far as to make an alien race the central characters but some other type of crew living in and dealing with the federation might be interesting.

Although you never know, a Klingon-based show would certainly get alot of initial press but can you imagine the make-up department :eek: I know it probably wouldn't happen but a mini-series based on one of the introduced aliens might work well.

What ever it is I just hope it's not Star Trek Academy which I think has been raised before, although it could be done well I'm sure the temptation would be too great and we'd end up with Star Trek 90210.

More than likely though it'll be something less diferent and easier for tie-ins, what are the odds that Jonathan Frakes has been offered to continue his role with his new command as the central storyline?

I have an image of a catoon for kids being Star Trek Academy.

On another note - anyone see the Andromeda series? I only saw the first season or so (the went away from sky) but it used a lot of the ideas that people here have been saying - e,g. multiple galaxies - and due to the fact the it was written by - - - someone else pease provide name for my mind has lost it - I don't think much of its basis can be "stolen" by star trek

I thought that the best thing Paramount could've done was make a film which led into a new series which would be set after Voyager's return (whether immediately after or decades after).

It seems unlikely with the current list of actors appearing in the new prequel film that this would develop into a series. I would be very interested to see what JJ Abrahms could come up with for a new series, but it must be set in the future. Star Trek must move forward or it will die!

Yes, it must move forward. CGI is getting better and cheaper also the time. I find it a bit ironic that Captain Archer's ship sometimes seems more modern than the one of good old Captain Kirk... were it's supposed to be the other way round

CGI in the Andromeda galaxy could come up with fancy and interesting new life forms... And yes, we could pick Captain Riker to be the one embarking on the first intergalatic trip...

There will definetly be a new series
However, it may take time to come as the writing team will wait until there are a lot of fans wanting it. They also need a new idea, as many of the episodes are very similar, so something with more fighting would create new interest in Star Trek.

There will definetly be a new series
However, it may take time to come as the writing team will wait until there are a lot of fans wanting it. They also need a new idea, as many of the episodes are very similar, so something with more fighting would create new interest in Star Trek.

As I said, leave all four quadrands and head out to visit new galaxies. There are more than 100 billion galaxies. To bold go on where no one...

Other than that new movie that is coming out, there is nothing. Start Trekk reached it's end after Archer which I would have to say was really good and it really sucked when it got canceled. I was quite enjoying the show.

I hated the last episode it was horribly done. Its like they just threw it together to get it over with. I was very disappointed.

I completely agree with you. Did you know that the person who played T'pol turned down another really good job thinking that the show was going to run longer. And the actors who played both Trip and T'pol both weren't at the ending party.

I enjoyed the later series of Enterprise. I guess it was too little too late for the US audience. However, I did hate the messing with timelines and found it diffciult to view this (owing to the special effects) as a precurser to TOS and TNG.

I've thought hard about how they could structure a new series, but have struggled. Most of what I come up with is either explicit/implicit in previous series or is covered as earlier extensive story lines.

Perhaps it is best that it rests for a decade or so. Then when it returns it might have a similar impact (in the US) as the new Doctor Who had here.

Actually the only half-original idea I've had would be to lift the premise of Peter Hamilton's Reality Dysfunction into the Trek universe.

That could be very interesting and chaotic. With two interlinked main story lines, the war to hold back the possessing dead and the search for the solution. All Trek races would be involved. Lots of action. Good backdrop for the humanist quasi-philosophical musings of the Trek universe.

I think what they need to do instead of the exploring type of show that Star Trek always seems to be, is instead make the show about ordinary people within the federation. What is life like on other planets, what is the average life like in the Star Trek universe?

Also if they did things this way they could have a new cast every show, or every few shows if some episodes are continued, and this way the costs of making the show would not escalate each year with those drastic increases in the actors salaries.

Anyway thats my thoughts on a new series, make it about ordinary people, it does not always have to be about Starfleet does it?

I heard about the new film that will happen (which i am so excited for) but I doubt there will ever be a new TV unfortunately.

I'd want a show that involved all the captains from each of the shows - Kirk, Picard, Janeway and Sisko...but wait, Kirk and Picard at least weren't from the same time, what about the others? If the ones from the era TNG/VOY/DS9 were from the same time then that would be pretty good.

Actually I just want new TNG.