C.J. Cherryh

Ah, lovely, Mekt hakkikt Personage Py is moderating here. Number one good! :D
My full name Vetijina Pamhapelmusen-to. Call Vetch. I ship Sheni (meaning can).

Sorry, got carried away. :D Still very new to the forum.
I am hoping that Cherryh will get her own board soon.

Ah, btw, Cherryh herself, when asked if she'll ever write another Compact (Chanur) novel again, says it's not her decision but the publishers, and if we want something to be written we should mail them. She has just finished Cyteen II, though.

We need a bouncy smiley. A new Cyteen? When will it be out? I've been looking and looking and there were no new Cherryh books to be released this year, just old ones in new jackets. I need a new Cherryh fix.:D

One of my favorite books by Cherryh -- one that is rarely, if ever, mentioned in discussions around here -- is Hunter of Worlds. It's a very good example of the way she can slowly immerse you in an alien culture, so that your perceptions of the characters and societies gradually change.

Also, I am fascinated by the iduve.

The book is perfect as a stand-alone, but I would have liked to see more stories about that particular race.

I'm with you there. I'd love to see another book in this universe.

One of my favorite books by Cherryh -- one that is rarely, if ever, mentioned in discussions around here -- is Hunter of Worlds. It's a very good example of the way she can slowly immerse you in an alien culture, so that your perceptions of the characters and societies gradually change.

Also, I am fascinated by the iduve.

The book is perfect as a stand-alone, but I would have liked to see more stories about that particular race.

Agreed re HOW. She wrote other "stand-alones" that I also greatly enjoyed, e.g., Cuckoo's Egg, Serpent's Reach and Forty Thousand in Gehenna. But these were all written 20 or more years ago. She doesn't seem to go into such one off scenarios these days. If it's true that she takes her directions from her publishers now (Isn't fame great?:rolleyes:), then more's the pity. This may be why I seem to enjoy her earlier works the most.

We need a bouncy smiley.
Hehe, I definitely could (and would) use one!

A new Cyteen? When will it be out? I've been looking and looking and there were no new Cherryh books to be released this year, just old ones in new jackets. I need a new Cherryh fix.:D
She has finished writing it in 2007 (she says in her blog), and now I think DAW is messing with the script. I know nothing about the procedures (rituals?) of publishing, but they take place, and when they're trough with it: voilà!
What I am trying to say with many words: I have not the slightest idea when Cyteen II will be out. Soon, I hope.

So you're not into the Atevi stuff either?

Is Forty Thousand in Gehenna really a stand alone? It's part of the Alliance/Union universe, an abandoned Union experiment.

Oh, P.S. looking forward to (and out for) the new Cherryh-thread!

f it's true that she takes her directions from her publishers now (Isn't fame great?:rolleyes:), then more's the pity. This may be why I seem to enjoy her earlier works the most.
I'm not sure if this is entirely true... Hope I didn't start a stupid rumour. I just think I read it on her page, that she advises fans who want to ask if/when she's writing another one of their favourite series to go straight to the publisher with that question.
I think. :D

The story [Forty Thousand in Gehenna] appears to be complete, and certainly stands on it's own. Another stand-alone is Port Eternity.
I see; seems that I didn't understand the meaning of 'stand alone' So, eg. The Pride of Chanur is a stand alone, and Venture, Kif and Homecoming aren't, because they tell one great story.

Great new thread; but oh, sophisticated. Excuse this ole German gal for today, my English doesn't flow by itself... or sumsuch. :D

Hehe, I definitely could (and would) use one!

She has finished writing it in 2007 (she says in her blog), and now I think DAW is messing with the script. I know nothing about the procedures (rituals?) of publishing, but they take place, and when they're trough with it: voilà!
What I am trying to say with many words: I have not the slightest idea when Cyteen II will be out. Soon, I hope.

So you're not into the Atevi stuff either?

Will check to see which publisher did the first cyteen and then go there.

I am into the Atevi stuff. :eek: Actually, I'm very fond of it.

I'm not sure if this is entirely true... Hope I didn't start a stupid rumour. I just think I read it on her page, that she advises fans who want to ask if/when she's writing another one of their favourite series to go straight to the publisher with that question.
I think. :D

I'll do that, but she has quite a few publishers. DAW, Warner, Harper Prism, & Eos.

The only books I didn't care for were the Morgaine books and one other fantasy novel. Loved the Merovingen nights shared world series. It was one of the best shared world series out there.

I see; seems that I didn't understand the meaning of 'stand alone' So, eg. The Pride of Chanur is a stand alone, and Venture, Kif and Homecoming aren't, because they tell one great story.

A book can start out as a stand-alone and then become part of a series when sequels are written that continue or expand on the story and characters. (And especially if those later books would benefit from familiarity with the first book.) Although the first book can still work as a stand-alone.

Take a book like Port Eternity. The story comes to a satisfying conclusion -- yet there is still more that could be said about the battles and the exploits of the characters afterward. If she had written a book taking up the story where the first book left off, the two would comprise a series. But no such book has appeared (and probably never will) so the book remains a stand-alone.

But of course the distinction, like so many others in SFF, is somewhat blurred.

Then there is a book like Faery in Shadow which stands on its own quite nicely, but is in fact the sequel to a piece of short fiction. Hard to classify that one.

I wonder if I am alone in thinking that the shorter stand-alone books are more character-driven than the big series books?

Take a book like Port Eternity. The story comes to a satisfying conclusion -- yet there is still more that could be said about the battles and the exploits of the characters afterward.....

......I wonder if I am alone in thinking that the shorter stand-alone books are more character-driven than the big series books?

Port Eternity is another of Cherryh's novels that I really enjoyed. And I think you're right about the character-driven nature of some of them...at least to some extent. I'm hedging because I've always seen Cherryh as highlighting the characters to a significant degree in all her stories: One of the reasons I still read some of her newer work while admitting I like the older better. I don't know any SF&F writer who replicates dialogue better.

I am into the Atevi stuff. :eek: Actually, I'm very fond of it.
Most decent people I know love the Atevi stuff. My not being-into-it is more due to lack of space on my shelves and lack of money which I rather spend on all those early Cherryh books I haven't read yet.

It's just, I thought there was a new Atevi book out ... or perhaps due... I'm not up to date.

Update on Cyteen II: Probably out in January 2009.

Morgana: About 13 years ago a s/o wanted to introduce me to Cherryh's writing, and she lend me the Morgana books. I did like them (specially the relationship between Morgana and Whatshisname), but I never felt the urge to own them. And then that person gave me Chanur's Homecoming. :D

I've been collecting her since the first book. First through the Science Fiction Book Club, then through book stores. A book shelf and a half with her hard copies and a plastic box with all the soft covers (except for the Morgaine books and Faery in Shadow).

Eh? I thought you said thats what you were doing! Well it would stop them fading in sunlight.

Ah, I see. No, they don't get sunlight where they are now and besides, I like to look at the covers when I reread them. And I refuse to be held responsible for anything I type today. It's been 109F/42C for about the last 3 days, and I'm not sleeping well. About 3 hours last night and right now, I'm melting.

I've been collecting her since the first book. First through the Science Fiction Book Club, then through book stores. A book shelf and a half with her hard copies and a plastic box with all the soft covers (except for the Morgaine books and Faery in Shadow).

What do you like most ? Which type of story of hers ? Her Space Opera ? Her Hard SF ? her Heroic Fantasy ? Her Military SF ?

Ah,you have my sympathies. But what are you keeping in the plastic box?

That's boxes. All my paperbacks are in retangular plastic boxes. They each hold about 40 pb very nicely. Sorted alphabetically. Some authors, like Cherryh have their own boxes. I have to say, I live alone in a 3 bedroom house so there's lots of room. I just recently achieved my goal of having a bookcase in every room of the house, except the bathroom. Can you tell I'm a bookoholic?

What do you like most ? Which type of story of hers ? Her Space Opera ? Her Hard SF ? her Heroic Fantasy ? Her Military SF ?

It's hard to choose. I loved the Faded Sun trilogy, also I liked all the Chanur books and the Alliance Union books. Brothers of Earth was one of my early favorites.

I live alone in a 3 bedroom house so there's lots of room. I just recently achieved my goal of having a bookcase in every room of the house, except the bathroom. Can you tell I'm a bookoholic?

That would be frowned upon over here, but i guess there's a lot more room in the states.
Thays a lot of books by the way!