C.J. Cherryh

I choosed Kesrith (Faded Sun book 1)

If you're going to like Cherryh at all, this book should do it for you. It's certainly one of my favorites. Just the opening scene with the sword game is enough to set the tone and spur you onward. I think her writing style was more "Hemingwayesque" at this point in her career. Less verbiage and more story. As she gets older, she gets more wordy (Don't we all).

Jim

Well, the quote is accurate as far as it goes....when I said it's not fantasy, I mean that all the characters are human, with no extra powers, there's no magic in it, and it's realistic in that it could have happened right here on Earth...
The Chanur books are are about as hard SF as you can get, if you like politics mixed in as well....
Hope you enjoy Serpent's Reach and Kesrith...but if you don't, please try the others, and don't just give up on CJC!:)

Pyan you dont have to sell low fantasy story to a Gemmell fan ;)

I actually thought if " i like her im gonna read those low fantasy stories next"

I read wiki how different her fantasy stories were in Mograine etc

I have found people fall into three camps with her writing. People who can't get their minds past the languages/names/gritty reality. People who don't get it at all. And people who fall into the worlds that could really be out there. Stories that describe how life would really be like on a ship traveling between the stars. How humans would have to learn to interact and accommodate aliens.
As for her fantasy I do like the foot soldiers view. It is different enough to keep me coming back to her work for 25 years.
I think we need more writers who have a grounded view of what life is really like for the common man when advanced technology(or powerful magic) affects their life.

I have to say I was not and am not very fond of the Morgaine series, but Brothers of Earth and The Faded Sun trilogy hooked me completely. After that, I bought everything she wrote. My copy of Cyteen is falling apart (US hardcovers are not the best), so I'll have to see about replacing it.

I have read the first early part of Kesrith. It starts very interesting. She does know how to write well and grap you early and the world intruges me already.

I was thinking when i read Dune how boring it was most stories i read in SF/Fantasy was about white western people then in less than two weeks i see two different series with different looking people and most importantly different cultures than those you see mostly. Freman being arab like,Mri.

I look forward to figuring out what cultures the Mri are based on. If not based on anything , just seeing who they are.

Am a big fan of Cherryh's Alliance-Compact Universe, and what I love most are the Chanur books. Such joy.

I mean, quotes like this:

"That ship or yours, armed?"
"Got a few rifles aboard."

I love her.:D

I'm sure i've read Downbelow Station ages,didn't realise it was part of a series. Can't remember if i enjoyed it. Will have to make a mental note to look for it in the library.

I'm sure i've read Downbelow Station ages,didn't realise it was part of a series. Can't remember if i enjoyed it. Will have to make a mental note to look for it in the library.

Its high quality Space Opera that i think you would like it.

CJ is the kind of author you would enjoy. Her stories are smart SF,culture based and not too much political stuff and always space opera it seems by her many series in the same universe.

Normally i dont like Space Opera but CJ's kind i like.

Am a big fan of Cherryh's Alliance-Compact Universe, and what I love most are the Chanur books. Such joy.

I mean, quotes like this:

"That ship or yours, armed?"
"Got a few rifles aboard."

I love her.:D

Hey, welcome to the club! *points to username...:D*

not too much political stuff

Really, Conn? I'd hate to see what you consider a "politically-heavy" novel then. To my mind, all of the Union/Alliance stories are strong on the political side, and "Downbelow Station" more than most.

Really, Conn? I'd hate to see what you consider a "politically-heavy" novel then. To my mind, all of the Union/Alliance stories are strong on the political side, and "Downbelow Station" more than most.

I was talking about Faded Sun since its the series of hers i have read so far.

Chanur doesnt sound too political. It almost sounds too light fun,straight forward for Cherryh.

Of course Downbelow Station for AE depends on how much he likes Space Opera and how he dislikes political stuff.

Chanur doesnt sound too political. It almost sounds too light fun,straight forward for Cherryh.

I wouldn't go too much on the blurbs for Chanur, Conn...it's possibly oneof the most political series I've ever read. The first one in the series, The Pride of Chanur, is a fairly straighforward space adventure, but the others ( Chanur's Venture / The Kif Strike Back / Chanur's Homecoming) are very heavily into inter-species political influence and rivalry.

Ah, lovely, Mekt hakkikt Personage Py is moderating here. Number one good! :D
My full name Vetijina Pamhapelmusen-to. Call Vetch. I ship Sheni (meaning can).

Sorry, got carried away. :D Still very new to the forum.
I am hoping that Cherryh will get her own board soon.

Ah, btw, Cherryh herself, when asked if she'll ever write another Compact (Chanur) novel again, says it's not her decision but the publishers, and if we want something to be written we should mail them. She has just finished Cyteen II, though.

Ah, hakkikt, you gain sfik...

The kif are one of my favorite species...once you understand their mind-set, they're more honest and straightforward than the mahendo'sat - and much more so than the methane-breathers or the stsho...

<Bows> Oh, I love the kif. Though they surely won't appreciate being loved...
But me, myself - look at my avatar - would a kif chose a smiling cup of gfi?
I can't help it, I am a grinning mahendo'sat.

But I still agree with what you write, Pyan. When I first read the books I couldn't stand the Mahendo'sat. They kinda grew on me though, because Jik is the coolest of cool (and perhaps not a really typical mahe, because he is more earnest and reliable than they normally seem to be).
I also like their concept of Personange.

But the kif... when Skukkuk - oops, sorry I was going to deliver heavy spoilers. They are mean, sleek and formidable, and I love the way they handle languages. Kkkkt.

*lifts snout a fraction* Kkkt...

I've just checked the Cherryh threads, and there isn't really enough of them at the moment for the Powers-that-be to create an individual author forum. However, if enough posts and threads accumulate in the future, I will certainly recommend one in the Suggestion Box...

Nicfe to meet another fan, hakt...

One of my favorite books by Cherryh -- one that is rarely, if ever, mentioned in discussions around here -- is Hunter of Worlds. It's a very good example of the way she can slowly immerse you in an alien culture, so that your perceptions of the characters and societies gradually change.

Also, I am fascinated by the iduve.

The book is perfect as a stand-alone, but I would have liked to see more stories about that particular race.

Merry met indeed! <restrains self from hitting mekt hakt Pyan on the shoulder>

When i registered here, some days ago, I was actually thinking of starting some Cherryh threads, just to get her her own board, but naw. That would be ... not real.

But perhaps...perhaps... She has written a bunch of great books, and there should be one for almost everyone. Fantasy, hard gritty SciFi (Heavy Time; Tripoint!...) and ah, the beautiful crowded Compact space, full of intrigue, adventure and doublecrossing. :D

And of course the new Atevi-series, which has a great fanbase. I never really got into it - the books are good as far as I can tell, but, heck, I am slow and conservative and happy enough in Compact space. If I need a brake I hop over to Alliance/Union.

edit:
I haven't even read Hunter of Worlds yet!
Cherryh is not really big in Germany, and at the moment, due to unemployment and thus financial low, I am relying on libraries and 2nd hand stores, and there's nothing. Argh.
On the other hand I am happy that there are still some books for me to discover. I have heard of the iduve. Looking forward to meeting them one day.

Cherryh is quite famous for her aliens, their mindsets, societies, cultures, and rightly so.

When i registered here, some days ago, I was actually thinking of starting some Cherryh threads, just to get her her own board, but naw. That would be ... not real.

You're right. The threads have to be active threads, and if the interest isn't there they die an ignominious death.

However, it doesn't hurt to start a new thread every now and again and see how that goes. In fact, I've been thinking about one I'd like to start, and now that we seem to have enough Cherryh fans on board at the moment to give it a chance ... I think I'll do just that.