What has happened to the Youth of today?

Discussion in 'World affairs' started by tangaloomababe, Aug 24, 2007.

tangaloomababe

tangaloomababe Living in Paradise

I listened with interest to the news last night, one of the headlines was about from England about an 11 year old boy who had been shot whilst riding his bike.
    He had been shot by another teenager about 13 I think.

Disturbing in itself but apparently not an isolated event. This is the seventh such style of killing in England this year.

Ok I am not old, well not really old but as a teenager it would never have crossed my mind to inflict harm on another person. Ok you might say mean things as teenagers do but to kill another person I have trouble comprehending.

Where is this mentality and lack of regard for lives coming from?:confused:
    Rane Longfox

Rane Longfox Red Rane

The kid who was arrested is 16, not 13. There was another double shooting the next day, but thankfully no one was killed. Youth crime is turning into a serious problem in the UK at the moment. They're considering laws that even being in a gang will increase the possible sentance for youth offenders. I have no idea if that'll work, but it's beyond doubt that something needs to be done.
    There was footage on the news the other night of teenagers throwing stones at a police car, and just last week, police arrested three men driving a van to a suspected illegal rave, and the police station came under attack from a riot mainly made up of teenagers.

I have no idea what the solution is, but let's hope there is one out there somewhere.
    tangaloomababe

tangaloomababe Living in Paradise

Rane you make a good point, youth have lost that respect for authority. As a child we were not only respectful of Police but also a little scared, this does not seem to be the case anymore.
    Leisha

Leisha Tennis-ball Robin

Gang culture? Peer pressure? Alcohol? Drugs? Racism? It seems people will fight because of anything these days. Who needs an incentive?
    Rane Longfox

Rane Longfox Red Rane

They probably didn't use Opera... Browserism!
    Leisha

Leisha Tennis-ball Robin

Opera!

Well, that explains it, then. :D
    Lenny

Lenny Edit Ninja In Training

Heck, they probably don't even use a computer at all.

The word "Chav" springs to mind.

---

Here's something that will shock everyone. Happened last Sunday (2am) in my local area. Very sad.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Lancashire | Tribute to victim of park attack

Leisha

Leisha Tennis-ball Robin

That is sad.

There's a piece I heard on the local news a couple of weeks ago - it made me sad - about a distraught pigeon breeder who lost all forty of his pigeons. Apparently every bird had had their neck snapped. I mean, that's horrific. Why do that to defenceless birds? The owner said it felt like his life had come to an end. He was in tears during the interview.

Last I heard, a gang of youths were suspected of causing the attack.

Makes me sick.
    Curt Chiarelli

Curt Chiarelli Yog-Sothothery on the Fly

This is a very complex problem. Here's a few strands of that tangled skein:

Geneticists claim that man's technological advances (which after a certain point in our history have grown at a geometric progression) have far outstripped our evolutionary capacity to handle them. We're hard-wired to desire a sense of community, a connection to our fellow species. This is something which our modern world, by its very design, seems to actively corrode in any number of critical ways. More and more people feel isolated and alienated from their fellow man. The escalating rates of suicide, depression and violent crime in our populace attests to and supports this premise.

Another significant contributing factor is the corporate stranglehold on the mindset of the populace. Since World War I great strides have been made in implementing psychology to manipulate the population to not only be obedient consumers, but to be just plain obedient. One way in which these corporate puppetmasters have left an indelibly self-destructive scar on our society has been in the way they've convinced us to think in terms of selfishness and immediate gratification.

Yet another aspect is evident in the proliferation and availability of not only firearms, but media entertainment that promotes violence as the only effective option for conflict resolution.
    HardScienceFan

HardScienceFan 'what to eat' fan

good points Curt

consumerism must have SOMETHING to do with it
    Leisha

Leisha Tennis-ball Robin

You know what I think every time I read Curt's posts? He reminds me of my brother-in-law. I think they'd get along so well! :D

[​IMG]

Just thought I'd throw that comment in there. Carry on!
    j d worthington

j d worthington Moderator Staff Member

Not really off topic. It all ties in to what lies behind such things, and there are no simple answers to something that has been an increasing plague over the majority of the 20th century, and into the 21st. Look at the late 1940s through the 1950s, with the gang violence that was taking place then. As has been said, "gangs owned entire neighborhoods" -- people were afraid to go against them, often to go out on the streets at night. Granted, with the relatively primitive (by today's standards) weaponry, it was a walk in the park by comparison, but people nonetheless lived in fear of these kids... and the kids themselves often felt that the gang was the only place they could call home, or feel any kind of acceptance. So the alienation we see among people in general seems to hit those most susceptible to this kind of pressure especially hard, resulting in a lot of pent-up anger and frustration that strikes out at often random targets.

Another thing to add to the mix... overpopulation. Put too many people together in too small a place, and they will simply rasp on each other's nerves, pressures will build, there will be that unacknowledged hum of high-tension and violent reaction just below the surface... until finally it erupts. No simple solution will fix this problem; none ever has.

As for "respect (and/or fear) of authority".... Considering how the authorities have been going for such a long time now, are they deserving of respect? Are most parents? Kids are being taught the same values, but what they hear and what they see has become increasingly disconnected; they feel they're being lied to, taken for a ride, treated as somehow mentally deficient enough to not realize it's all a sham (at least, that's how it tends to appear), and at the same time they are bombarded with cynicism, opportunism, and all the more venal aspects of human nature almost constantly, through the media, through society in general, through family....

I'm not arguing they're guiltless -- far from it. But if you want to genuinely solve the problem rather than slap a bandaid on it by prosecuting each individual case as if it were an anomaly... then there's one hell of a tough slog ahead to get to the root of the problem and fix it... and I'm afraid the root of the problem happens to be the society we've built over the past several decades....
    Leisha

Leisha Tennis-ball Robin

LOL! No, I meant I was off topic. I do that... a lot. :D
    j d worthington

j d worthington Moderator Staff Member

In case you hadn't noticed... I think it's rather de rigeur around here....:p
    Leisha

Leisha Tennis-ball Robin

Shock horror! :eek:

Are you saying we ramble? :D

Okay, okay, you got me! [​IMG]
    Curt Chiarelli

Oh, there's one in every family Leisha! :D
    SpaceShip

SpaceShip Outta sight

Animal, vegetable or mineral? Well, I think humans come under the heading of animal. Laugh if you like but this is what comes to my mind.

If one considers quite a lot of those in the animal kingdom there is usually a pecking order - let me use lions and wolves as an example.

They go in packs (so do we normally, in the family environment) and if one of the cubs gets out of hand the usual response is a thick ear from the alpha (male, female or either) to keep them in line. From a very early age the youngsters know their place and what the consequences are if they step out of it. I mean, how much food would be collected if the parents let the youngsters go out to get it? They'd die out in no time. No, the parents take time in training up their young to show them how to go about things in a right way and once they have learned how to do it they then branch out on their own - in the right way.

What we seem to have done is quite the reverse. The cub now controls the alpha - chaos, anarchy and bedlam occurs. Kids not old enough to know the consequences go out and kill (probably thinking that the person they kill will appear once again - alive and well in the next movie!)

What needs to happen should happen from within the pack - the family. But I believe that the alphas themselves have lost their natural instinct.

Any ideas as to how to get it back?
    Allegra

Allegra New Member

Set the mating instinct mode on standby for a while.:p
    Curt Chiarelli

LOL! :D
    SpaceShip

SpaceShip Outta sight

Yeah - right! That's about the only instinct that just ain't gonna go away eh!