Elvish name translator!

My first name - Aeglironion (Eye-gleer-ohn-ee-on) (lit. "from the mountain") And my middle - Erubadhron (Air-oo-bah-thronn) :D

Suiauthon Istuion (Soo-ee-ow-thonn)(Is-too-ee-on) - assuming you can use it for surnames as well. This translates as 'war-like' and 'learned', but the whole thing sounds a bit like warbling!

My name wasn't on the list. My name is never on these kinds of lists. Also, my name is never on those pens with the names on. :(

I need to complain to someone about this!

Kate = pure (bahahahahahahaha!)

Manwathiel
(Mahn-wah-thee-ell)

Sounds more like a boy's name!

Saw someone put their kid's name and my daughter's is beautiful!
Eruwaedhiel
(Air-oo-wye-thee-ell)

Ooh! We both end in thee-ell! aw!

My name is Orophin Tasardur, apparently. Im not sure how to pronounce that, but, there you have it. What kind of Bollocks is this?:confused:

Menion said:
What do you mean? "what is this?" It's an elvish name translator.

Hmm, but I'm not sure if anyone knows what Orophin even means; as even Tolkien included this name as one: '... suitable to Sindarin sounds and patterns, but are not clearly etymologizable in Sindarin' (Words, Phrases And Passages).

It might contain a 'mountain word' (compare Orodreth), but as far as I know Tolkien never explained it, so I wonder who is claiming Orophin 'translates' another name of known meaning.

And if Orophin seems Sindarin at least (in not Silvan adapted to Sindarin or something), 'Tasardur' seems Quenya, and would appear intended to mean something like 'Willow-servant'... making one wonder if that's what this person's real name means! It's possible of course, but I would be a bit surprised actually.

But all that said: did 'Orophin Tasardur' even come from the list at ArwenUndomiel, linked at the beginning of the thread? Not that I would highly recommend ArwenUndomiel's list for translated names in any case -- actually I would rather recommend Ales Bican's Quenya names, at the site ELM...

... but I'm just wondering where 'Orophin Tasardur' came from :)

The closest the list on the site given comes to my actual first name (which is Hebrew for “who is like the Lord?”) is “Michelle(meaning Who is like God?) which translates into Elvish asEraisuithiel” (pronounced Air-eye-soo-ee-thee-ell). My middle name, "Helen" (which mean Light) -and which was also my grandmother's middle name, though she went by it her whole life- translates as Caladhiel (pronounced Kah-lah-thee-ell). My brother’s (and biologoical father's {or Ada's ;)}) first name, Richard (strong ruler) translates as Bellcaunion (pronounced Behl-cow-nee-on).

Here I would go with Ales Bican's Quenya suggestions rather: Michael *Manveru, Michelle *Manveri

My middle name, "Helen" (which mean Light) -and which was also my grandmother's middle name, though she went by it her whole life- translates as Caladhiel (pronounced Kah-lah-thee-ell).

This is an example of ArwenUndomiel.com simply adding meaningless letters however. In the introduction it's noted...

In some cases I have added meaningless letters to "Elvish-ize" the names, the most common being "dh" and "th" (Cuguwen [Dove Maiden] doesn't sound quite Elvish, but Cugedhiel does).

Sindarin calad 'light' is correct enough, but not -hiel which changes the pronunciation according to them (adding a voiced -th- as in English these) due to the meaningless h here. But to stay in Quenya (since Manveri is Quenya), perhaps *Calanis (compare Calaquendi and Artanis, the latter being another name for Galadriel). Ales Bican chose a different word...

HELEN (f.) - connected with Greek 'ray/sunbeam'; alca "ray of light", thus could be Alce or Alcie

... which I have to admit I don't like much.

Again I know it's all for fun (and you might not like these suggestions at all), but in any event I think ArwenUndomiel is a bit too loose here with their letters, the subjective opinions aside concerning what sounds 'Elvish'.

:)

Filidhrentithiel (lit. "little wise bird") (Fill-ee-threhn-tee-thee-ell) which is a bit of a mouth full!:p

Filidhrentithiel (lit. "little wise bird") (Fill-ee-threhn-tee-thee-ell) which is a bit of a mouth full!:p

By the way, besides being a bit of a mouthful! why is the first vowel -i- seemingly different in pronunciation from the other 'eyes' in the name?

Again, I know it's just for fun and not a Tolkien-made name in any event, but these details give me something to post.

:D

Melcindómien (Mehl-kin-doe-mee-ehn)
This would be my name originally... It means strong willed.

My name (Lucy) translates into: Tegaladwen
(Teh-GAH-lahd-wehn) which means 'bringing light'