The Strangest of Your Collection

Discussion in 'Music' started by Maxwell Jennison, Jun 29, 2007.

Maxwell Jennison

Maxwell Jennison Lurking Slacker

What is the strangest band/musician in your collection? The one that no one else has heard of or listened to, or that just gets the most odd stares from friends and relations when they see it in with the rest of your music?

For example, I have five albums by Charles Manson. If you like folk music, he's actually not bad. Well, I mean he's evil...just not bad as a musician.
    iansales

iansales Active Member

It's not an artist or band, but I have an LP from 1970 titled Rockbuster, which has a young Arnold Schwarzenegger on the cover, and features tracks by bands called Flock, Trees, Redbone, Rock Workshop, Spirit, Skin Alley and New York Rock Ensemble...
    Maxwell Jennison

As well as Bob Dylan and the Byrds, apparently. Nice. Would be awesome if Ahnold sang on it. If that were the case, you'd be holding on to pure gold!
    The Ace

The Ace Aye fur Alba

People like, "Strangers in the Wind," right up to the moment I tell them it's by the Bay City Rollers.:p
    Tillane

Tillane Left-minded

I've two albums by Shonen Knife, a Japanese powerpop/bubblegum pop band most people won't have heard of (they did the theme music for the Powerpuff Girls cartoon series). On the same theme, I have Radio Hits 3 by Welsh punk rock/bubblegum pop band Helen Love and more than half a dozen by punk rock band The Mr T Experience (possibly better known in the States than over here).
    Joel007

Joel007 Shiny! Let's be bad guys.

I've been listening to Relient K's witty lyrics through their evolution as a band, so I have their first ever album. That gets me some strange looks, since they were essentially a college boy band at the time.
    Also I listen to POD, and some of their more reggae-like tunes make people double take :D

I'm more of a Rock/Metal person, so any of my poplike songs (e.g. MercyMe) make people think i'm strange
    HardScienceFan

HardScienceFan 'what to eat' fan

Joseph Schmidt is way out of sync with the rest of my music
    "light classical"?
    chrispenycate

chrispenycate resident pedantissimo Staff Member

Well, since I've recorded a wide range of optimists who were certain to have the Next Big Thing (incorrectly so) I have a wide range of very weird, Much of it on quarter inch tape because it never went any further. Anyone for Timothy Leary and a selection of german acidheads tripping in a roomful of musical instruments, certain that inspiration was bound to strike? A jam session with punk rockers and Guggenmusikers?
    littlemissattitude

littlemissattitude Super Moderator

That has got to be worth money, Chris, no matter how bad it is. Can you say "historical curiosity"? Anyway, the very idea made me laugh out loud. :D I was in attendance at a Timothy Leary spoken word/experimental video appearance at a local night spot two or three years before his death. It was, um, interesting.

I had no idea that Charlie had done five albums. I knew that he had done some recording, but all the stories are so dismissive of him (no one wanting to be seen as having ever actually had a positive thought about him, I suppose...and I can understand that, having seen his influence on a friend of mine at the time) that it is surprising he accumulated that much recorded material. Also, it seems like he wouldn't have had the time, trying to arrange Helter Skelter and all.

Oh, and my own strangest...I don't actually think I own anything that strange any more. Although in the past year and a half I've discovered quite a fondness for Gram Parsons' work. He's one of those, I've found, who you either get or you don't, and if you do you get weird looks from those who don't.
    Lenny

Lenny Edit Ninja In Training

It'll have to be one of two:

1. Gogol Bordello - music that is [very] Eastern European mixed with punky type things. You can understand why they are dubbed "Gypsy punks".

2. Boy vs. Bacteria - a Swedish chap who makes his own ravey type music; the latest batch he has made using a Gameboy game.
    Tillane

Tillane Left-minded

And are bloody brilliant.
    Lenny

Too damn right! :D

Have you heard their new album - Super Taranta!? It's more than brilliant, I have to tell you. Along the same lines as Underdog World Strike, but a bit more punky, yet with the good old Eastern European influences still there - the violinist, for example, has a merry old time. :p
    Tillane

Tillane Left-minded

Haven't heard it yet - but I'll be getting it soon.:cool:

My problem is I need more storage space for all my CDs. Heigh-ho.
    Lenny

That's what a computer is for. :p

And, of course, what miscellaneous drawers are for.

Oooh! Here's one I probably shouldn't admit to:

Lily Allen.
    Tillane

Tillane Left-minded

Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!:eek: *Runs away screaming*

Um, that's perfectly all right, Lenny. Perfectly. Oh, who am I kidding?

One I shouldn't admit to...

The Donnas

(I was young. And foolish. And...oh, all right. It was last year.):eek:
    Maxwell Jennison

You just named one of my favorites. Eugene Hutz is amazing. A friend of mine (the same guy that got me into Manson, in fact) and I were debating with another of our friends as to whether Oh No or Start Wearing Purple was a better song. This only lead to talking about the Voi-la Intruder album, and nothing got decided on. Just thought I'd share that.

But, anyway, Gogol Bordello just released a new single called Wonderlust King.
    Lenny

That's the second song on the new album. There's a brilliant one called Supertheory of Supereverything that methinks ought to be a single.

Oh, and I'd probably say Start Wearing Purple is the better song. And it's also the one that even those who hate the band seem to like.
    Maxwell Jennison

Ever listened to their earliest stuff? Every song sounds the same. Same chords, same drum riff. Granted, I think they were in the 12-14 region when they first formed, but still. But as long as we're admitting to things we shouldn't: The Care Bears. I listen to music by the Care Bears.
    Tillane

Tillane Left-minded

Nah...but I've got both Turn 21 and Spend The Night. Both of which...suck.

The Care Bears made music? I've lived a sheltered life, obviously.:rolleyes:
    pyan

pyan Fortiter et recte! Staff Member

No - got to say it - Phædra - Tangerine Dream.:eek: