29.11: Utopia

Hmmmm.

The episode was ok. But only OK.

The best thing about it was having Derek Jacobi handle the change from bumbling prof to Master. Well done to him. And thankfully he killed off that idiot blue insect. I would too in that position

"All that Chan and Doh driving me crazy..."

I see that Jacobi appeared to have taken his queues from Ian Holm's Bilbo Baggins. Not sure if it was deliberate but I chuckled - nice touch.

Anyway the rest of the episode was only so much fluff.

In many ways this is a typical RTD episode. Too .... underdeveloped and childish. Hopefully RTD can rein himself in over the next 2 episodes and John Simm can deliver us an edgy evil master - and not a gurning half-wit.

I see that Jacobi appeared to have taken his queues from Ian Holm's Bilbo Baggins. Not sure if it was deliberate but I chuckled - nice touch.
Seemed like classic Jacobi to me; his portrayal of Cadfael had all the same bumbling, mumbling and wandering off at tangents.

I wasn't overly impressed by the episode. I liked Jacobi, and quite liked some of the interplay between Jack, Martha and The Doctor, but the episode just seemed a bit too contrived. As has been said before, a good amount of it seemed like a thinly-disguised way to reveal The Master - which, of course, is exactly what it was. My main problem, however, was that I neither cared about the fate of the humans, nor felt either scared or creeped out by Darth Maul and his futurekind buddies.

As to Simm as The Master...I'll reserve judgement until the end of the series. But I think he'll be good. *fingers crossed*

Wasn't that as much the effect of the mental suppression field thingy?