The Revived Tolkien Trivia

Gandalf... Hmmmm. I'd not really considered him.

There is a character, in Middle-earth, who claims to have perfomed the exact same feat as Horatius. It always stuck in my mind, but maybe everyone else has forgotten it since it was a quick comment in a chapter exclusively concerning plot exposition.

Ah! Indeed. I've found it.
It's Boromir who claims to have done it when the the he Nazgul took Osgiliath. He was describing it at the council of Elrond.

"I was in the company that held the bridge, until it was cast down behind us. Four only were saved by swimming: my brother and myself and two others."

Tolkien had fairly certainly learnt of Horatio and the bridge at school himself, and quite possibly taught it to his own students. :)

On Terry Brooks in general (as opposed to certain parts of the first published Shanarra book), we will have to agree to disagree, Boaz, although if you're referring to someone other than Tolkien as the source of Brooks' tales, I would be interested...as for "unfair trivia", I don't think so; your challenge by literary analogy is an interesting twist, especially since you chose a work widely regarded as a classic and taught to most (other than me, that is! :D).

And far, I could definitely agree with that proposition. As I am neither Pyan nor Marky, however, I don't exactly have "Founder" status when it comes to this thread. Marky's not been seen in this thread much recently and Py appears to be on a sabbatical of sorts; why don't we see what the others think? The topic surfaced briefly not too long after I first joined, but beyond frowning upon looking up Tolkien or his works, no discussion was made of internet references for non-Tolkien content.

And Boromir was who I thought of (AFTER having been schooled!), too (good job far).

Last edited:
farntfar, thanks for finding it entertaining and pursuing it. Your turn.

Grim, I only read the first Shanarra book back in '80. I liked it alot. Borrow or theft. Influence or plagiarism. Public domain or intellectual property. Sometimes, I wake up on the wrong side of the bed and feel like throwing Brooks and the Beatles under a bus.

Grim, I only read the first Shanarra book back in '80. I liked it alot. Borrow or theft. Influence or plagiarism. Public domain or intellectual property. Sometimes, I wake up on the wrong side of the bed and feel like throwing Brooks and the Beatles under a bus.

*bows*

Can't honestly say that I don't have similar days with other authors/artists, Good Sir. May I assume that you're okay with internet lookups on non-Tolkien content here? Corbier, Clanny, hope, Cornelius, anyone else who's posted here this year that I might have missed (sorry!); your thoughts? Py, of course, if I'm wrong about the sabbatical, will doubtless correct me and share his wisdom. ;-)

hope, we know that your books are currently part of your home's foundation (*grins and ducks*); we can find some leeway where quotes are concerned with your answers!

Last edited:
Thank you Boaz and Grim for your nice words.

Here's a straightforward one that shouldn't require you to refer to the internet.

Who could see through walls? And what did they need in order to do it?

I'll guess anyone with a palantir. I don't have an exact reference for this.

As far as I'm concerned, my fellow Gallivanting Nomads of Middle-earth Spermology (Gnomes), I assumed that you would use your personal palantirs to spy out who Horatius Cocles was. I've lurked around this thread for years, but never was able to get a correct answer in time. If I ever get another chance to post trivia... I may do something similar... I may ask how Tolkien borrowed from the story of The Lion of Lechistan or if you can draw a parallel between Feanor and Hernan Cortez... but I will not ask you to name three characters who represent the three aspects (prophet, priest, king) of the Judeo-Chrisitan Messiah.

Maybe it's the fact that I did not live 150 years ago or maybe it's the fact that the works of William Morris and George MacDonald never thrilled me that I believe that Tolkien was only influenced by them.

Sorry Boaz. That won't do.

I suppose I should be more precise and say brick walls.(or at least one anyway)

As fpor your next questions, we can start looking for the answers now, then. :)

I am thinking that this would be a certain innkeeper in Bree, namely Barliman Butterbur, who can "see through a brick wall in time (as they say in Bree)". From Fellowship of the Ring, iirc, when Frodo is recovering in Rivendell. Don't have the books on me, but I've used that quote before.

Hello gain, btw! Popping in for a visit.

That's the one Clansman. Well done.
And without looking at the book myself, I reckon your quotation is nigh on perfect.
A glass brick bell for you, and the next question.

Good job, Clanny. I read through looking for Sancho Proudfoot or some other rascal bashing holes in Bilbo's pantry.

Okay, a new challenge:

His existence did not end well, but he was carrying two very important things when he died. His carrying them saved them from certain doom, as did his death. He also had something of a potty mouth.

Who is he? No quote required.

I'm tempted to guess Turin with Gurthang and the Dragon Helm, but I think he lost the helm at Nargothrond. Instead, I'll guess Shagrat. I don't know his end... but I do know he took Frodo's Mithril Coat, Sam's sword and (I think) Frodo's cloak with the brooch of Lothlorien. If anyone has a potty mouth in Tolkien's works, it is an Orc.

I was going to go with an orc too, but a different one in a different place:

Grishnákh. The important things, of course, were Merry and Pippin.

"Curse you, you filthy little vermin."

"Grishnákh flung himself on the ground flat, dragging the hobbits under him; then he drew his sword. No doubt he meant to kill his captives, rather than allow them to escape or to be rescued; but it was his undoing. The sword rang faintly, and glinted a little in the light of the fire away to the left. An arrow came whistling out of the gloom, it was aimed with skill, or guided by fate, and it pierced his right hand. He dropped the sword and shrieked. There was a quick beat of hoofs, and even as Grishnákh leaped up and ran, he was ridden down and a spear passed through him. He gave a hideous shivering cry and lay still."

The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, Book Three, Chapter III, The Uruk-Hai

Ah... of course you're right, Grim. I kept thinking things, items, possessions...

*with a rueful grin, gingerly handles the, er, bell*

Thank you...I think! :p

An easy chestnut this time. Long before Harry Potter was even imagined, someone else walked similarly unseen without the aid of a ring. While there could be a couple interpretations, I'm looking for one in particular. Would prefer quote (because I like them!), but not mandatory.

Cheating a bit, because he is a Valar, for Eru's sake, but there's Ulmo.

"Nonetheless Ulmo loves both Elves and Men, and never abandoned them, not even when they lay under the wrath of the Valar. At times he will come unseen to the shores of Middle-earth, or pass far inland up firths of the sea....." Valaquenta (P27)

I have another idea, that I'll look up next. But I'll try that one first as I've dug up the quotation already.

In The Silmarillion: The Ainulindale: Of the Maiar...

"Of Melian much is told in the Quenta Silmarillion. But of Olorin that tale does not speak; for though he loved the Elves, he walked among them unseen, or in form as one of them, and they did not know whence came the fair visions or the promptings of wisdom that he put into their hearts. In later days he was the friend of all the Children of Iluvatar, and took pity on their sorrows; and those who listened to him awoke from despair and put way the imaginations of darkness."

Or possibly Holbytlan.(hobbits)

Theoden says, when he first sees Merry and Pippin by the gates of Orthanc.
"But there are no legends of their deeds, for it is said they do little, and avoid the sight of men, being able to vanish in a twinkling, and they can change their voices to resemble the piping of birds."

The two towers. The road to Isengard.