Looking for a sci-fi book

Discussion in 'Book Search' started by tunyawat, May 21, 2007.

tunyawat

tunyawat New Member

Hi, can you guy recommend me a sci-fi book that match to the following themes:

1. Aliens from other universes come to the earth to seize water
    2. Aliens from our solar system show up themself to help human protect the water resource

Thanks
    suupaabaka

suupaabaka New Member

That... that's pretty specific. Is it something you've read before?
    tunyawat

tunyawat New Member

Not really. It was originated from a space shooting game created by myself long time ago. I'm wondering whether there is any book sharing the same concept or not.
    Who's Wee Dug

Who's Wee Dug New Member

1. One to look out for would be Larry Niven's "FOOTFALL" that would meet your criteria ,I read that one quite a few years ago some nice little twists in the story, plus I did learn something I was unaware of.

Good book.
    Somni

Somni New Member

"Footfall" is a very good book. The aliens are novel in their behaviour and the book is I feel, generally well integrated. Certainly worth reading, though I do not remember the aliens being after our water specifically, I thought they wanted the earth more for a colony.
    iansales

iansales Active Member

Isn't the alien in The Man Who Fell to Earth after water? He is in the film, although I'm not sure if that's the case in the book.
    tunyawat

tunyawat New Member

Thanks for the recommendation.

In footfall, do the aliens in our solar system show up to help human?
    Kostmayer

Kostmayer New Member

Doubtful, but could it be a book based on the mini series 'V' ? That was about aliens who came to steal our water (and hamsters), and was novelised.
    Somni

Somni New Member

From what I recall, in Footfall there are no 'resident' aliens in our solar system to help us. It is merely us versus them. I cannot think of any sci fi book which has aliens from our solar system that help us. Most of them seem to be out to get us e.g. War of the Worlds, some book based on Mars where the martians are sleeping and descide to hunt down our colonists when we disturb them etc. etc.
    Finnien

Finnien New Member

There was a sci-fi television mini-series called V for Victory (or maybe just 'V') that's maybe fifteen years old that did have a water-and-food collecting theme.
    Who's Wee Dug

Who's Wee Dug New Member

Yes! and they were elephantine in looks and nature though they walked upright and they wanted the water to make to make mud baths to wallow in, where if the planet was more or less waterless they would have bypassed it.but there again it has been quite a time since I have read it and would have to dig it out to refresh my memory.

Plus I forgot to add it was also by Jerry Pournelle as well.:eek:
    Who's Wee Dug

Who's Wee Dug New Member

In a word NO
    gully_foyle

gully_foyle Here kitty kitty kitty!

This is absolutely no help to tunyawat, but I remember a story called "Free Beer" in an old Australian scifi story pulp from around 1980. In the story an old man is walking along the beach with his grandson telling the grandson about the arrival of the aliens, and how the aliens were willing to trade technology for our seawater, and now the ocean levels are in decline. The punchline was that an alien ship suddenly lands in front of them and a mob of aliens rush out to the sea, holding pitchers and yelling "Free Beer!"

I would love to hear from anyone who ever saw that story and knew the name of the publication. (p.s. it might not have been an Aussie pulp, 27 years ago is a long long time ago).
    tunyawat

tunyawat New Member

Thanks for all of the comments. I will start reading footfall since the theme sounds highly related to the original criteria, hope it is not very difficult to understand.

Does anyone ever conduct a research about aliens in our solar system? It is not neccessary to be a scienctific-based research. I want to know the social structure, physical attributes, and technology distinctions between those in our solar system which might completely be derived from one's imagination. Any good source?
    iansales

iansales Active Member

tunyawat

tunyawat New Member

It is too scientific. I need some green man and ET based research
    chrispenycate

chrispenycate resident pedantissimo Staff Member

Water is a very common substance in the solar system, and, one suspects, in the universe at large. Hydrogen is the commonest element, and oxygen one of the standard steps in the Betha fusion chain used in stars, and they like each other, so it is no surprise that there's a lot of it around. Grabbing it from within a gravity well would seem a bit foolish when there are comets, and Saturn's rings, which contain enough H2O to re-equip the Earth entirely, all conveniently floating there.
    The Niven one about stealing planetary water is "Rainbow Mars"; not one of my preferred. More or less "Flight of the horse" universe, it could have been cut to a short story without losing anything of value; still, that's only my opinion.

As regards aliens within our solar system,I assume you're talking intelligent, high tech aliens rather than bacteria or equivalents? Something you can communicate with, rather than catch? Though science fiction has been speculating about them for many decades, I'll hold that their probability is not high; if they had taken a similar technological path to ours, I hold we'd probably have detected evidence of them by now, and if it were wildly divergent we'd probably not recognise them as sentient (or maybe even alive)
    Plenty of proposed potential environments for life in the solar system, (at least, something having enough of the characteristics of life that it can't be rejected) from plasma beings in the sun's photosphere to superfluid helium based out in the Oort cloud (neither of which are over diturbed about oxygen dihydride) but mostly they wouldn't be much use as allies in interstellar water raids.