Two Trekkies Live Next Door To Me

John Thiel

John Thiel
There's a couple of people in their early teens...well, one looks to be about 18...who are brothers, and have completely bought the Star Trek series and dress in Star Trek uniforms. They live just a few blocks away. I asked them if they are science fiction fans and they said no, they are just followers of the Trek way of life. I see them doing logistics along the thoroughfares from time to time. I'd say the show has influenced an entire generation, if these two are any example of that generation.

they are just followers of the Trek way of life.
How on earth can you do that? No transporters, no artificial gravity, no starships, no alien species, no phasers, no Starfleet, no FTL travel, no matter-antimatter power source, etc, etc, - what part of the Trek Universe life is left to "follow", apart from dressing in fake uniforms?:rolleyes:

They're nutters.:p

*struggles to choke back any comment containing the words "kettle" or "pot"*:D

At least you keep it for weekends and holidays, Ace - and, of course, you don't actually live like that!

Mind you, I'm sure it would cut down any complaints if the guy behind the repair counter was in full Roman kit, and kept testing the edge of his gladius, muttering darkly in Latin:p!

They're just Trekkies, not authentic Starfleet personnel. They're very conscious of not having any of that equipment besides the uniforms and a few fake items, but they have games available to them.

As per Pyan's first post, so what's the point? Do they engage in their commerce without money, for example? I have a five year old niece who lives as a princess, if that's what it means when you dress up...

Wow they must be really sad
But really devoted if they actually walk around in their uniforms.
Sounds a bit like a religious cult.

Wow, a long time lapse before that comment. They've grown a bit and the one that's nineteen had it pointed out to him by his father that he's nearing voting age and possibly couldn't cast a ballot dressed like that. So he seems to have put away his uniform. They're getting in some non-Trek games, too, like THE LEGEND OF ZELDA.

I think it's rather cool that these boys felt comfortable enough with themselves to openly dress and live how they wanted. Really, there are a lot worse things teens can do with their time besides emulate a TV show that promotes values of honesty and equality for all.

Star Trek can be seen as more than space ships and futuristic technology. Gene Roddenberry envisioned a time when everyone got along, when there are no wars, hate crimes, or poverty. If these boys were trying to follow this philosophy when they said they were "followers of the Trek way of life", that can be a pretty high aspiration.

Time passes and those kids are just nudging into their twenties now. I wonder how their attitudes have been shaped in the time?

But I agree with you, Kythe. While I never did the uniform thing, Classic Trek caught me in mid-adolescence and I saw much to admire in the Vulcan IDIC philosophy. It was of its time, of course, and decidedly hippy in orientation, despite the uniforms and conformity of its practitioners. Even so, Spock was a huge influence on me, and to some extent still is. Though I don't subvert my emotions, I do frequently question them.

For good or ill, this has resulted in who I am now and I believe myself to be moderately caring and usually thoughtful of others' needs. Can it be so bad that these two youngsters have decided to be influenced by something that is, on the face of it, morally and ethically unimpeachable?

Reminds me of the woman who turned up for jury duty in a starfleet uniform and iirc was threatened with contempt of court unless she changed.

Reminds me of the woman who turned up for jury duty in a starfleet uniform and iirc was threatened with contempt of court unless she changed.

That's still better than the woman who turned up at our local court for jury service with FCUK emblazoned all over her T-shirt. (Not sure whether it was from the company or she was as illiterate as she apparently looked.)

I was thinking about that one, but I do think this is different. She spent a lot of taxpayer-funded time and resources fighting the court system, trying to muster up support for her own belief that she was a commanding officer of a Federation ship and had a right to wear her "uniform" wherever she went. Many Trekkies found her an embarrassment.

These boys were probably more grounded in reality, in that they didn't appear to create problems for anyone else. In all likelihood, grew up and moved on to other things.