Heart Shaped Box

Lucien21

Has anyone else bought the debut novel by Joe Hill - Heart Shaped Box.

It has been getting a good write up online as being a decent novel.

Amazon.co.uk: Heart-Shaped Box (Gollancz S.F.): Books: Joe Hill

"Synopsis
'Buy my stepfather's ghost' read the e-mail. So Jude did. He bought the dead man's suit, delivered in a heart-shaped box, because he wanted it: because his fans ate up that kind of story. It was perfect for his collection: the genuine skulls and the bones, the real honest-to-God snuff movie, the occult books and all the rest of the paraphanalia that goes along with his kind of hard/goth rock. But the rest of his collection doesn't make the house feel cold. The bones don't make the dogs bark; the movie doesn't make Jude feel as if he's being watched. And none of the artefacts bring a vengeful old ghost with black scribbles over his eyes out of the shadows to chase Jude out of his home, and make him run for his life ... "

Oh and Joe Hill = Stephen King's son.

Like BookStop I've been hearing good things about this book and the blurb sounds quite intriguing. I'd probably get a copy when it hits the shelves.

I like Stephen King's work for the most part, giant spiders aside but I do hope his son has his own voice.

I've bought a copy, and it is in my to-read pile, but I haven't quite gotten to it yet. I picked it up after I read an excerpt online that was quite good. I'll make some comments once I've read it.

I hear it's rather King-esque, which is dissapointing because his short stories apparently showed a greater range. Probably best for huge fans of King or mainstream horror, I may try it out in paperback.

Back