Which are the Saddest Movies you've seen?

I STRONGLY recommend the following if you want to have an emotive cinematic experience:
(I suddenly get the urge to look up some reviews!):
Los Amantes del Circulo Polar:this one is one long reflection on the nature of love and coincidence,both important in human lives
(haven't read the other posts on this one yet):
Schindlers' List(this one will have you gasping for breath):Spielberg goes for the throat in this one:a violent indictment of racial hatred,war,genocide and and any thoughts about "superior races",and very,very,relevant today
La Meglio Ioventuta(I'll Google this one later,for the correct title):
chronicles(sorry**:)) the fate of one Italian family over 40 years;and no,it's not a soap opera.
WARNING:all of these movies feature some bad things happening to good people,bit like life innit?

Now when will people make an SF or fantasy movie that has the impact of ANY of the above????!!!! I THINK IT CAN BE DONE!
sorry for possible soapboxing on my part.
( a story like FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON for me is proof that fantastic literature can be moving and/or profound ,and even thoroughly so).

For some reason "Amazing Grace" the song gets me (partially through the religious emotion with which it was first written), so the success/redemption at the end of the movie "Amazing Grace" got me today... with its crescendoing military band's rendition of the hymn...

I must stop sitting at the back of auditoria - give myself more time to regain composure before having to face the foyer!

thanks for the posts. is there scene that gave you an emotion impact.

i'm just trying to understand / observe what makes people have an emotion reaction while watch. be it sad or happy.

i should have wrote movies that gave you a emotional reaction rather than sad movies. but i did observe that the strongest emotional reaction was dead of a character.

i would like to learn more. please feel free to post scene that gave you an emotion or entire movies. but please could you tell me what was it that gave you an emotional reaction. thanks. i wish everyone a good day.

Yesterday we watched Dances With Wolves as we both like the movie and we had found it cheap.

The first time I watched the movie, I cried when they shot two-socs, but this time I just got angry at them.

However, I did cry at the end when the couple rides away from the village and Wind Gets In His Hair keeps yelling "Can't you see that I'm your friend? Can't you see that you'll always be my friend?" in the same way that he had shouted "Can't you see that I'm not afraid of you?" the first time they met, only he shouts it over and over again with pain in his voice (or maybe I'm just imagining that?).

It makes me cry because now he has found acceptence and friendship with the Siux people and he has finally found a place where he feels that he belongs, but then he is forced to leave them because staying would endanger them too much, so he must return to a world where he will be shown no understanding nor compassion for being -well- who he is now.

Isi t something like that you're looking for?

How could we forget Watership Down !!! Just the music is devastating... "bright eyes, how could you close and fail?":( That's even sadder than Bambi. What is it about cartoon creature?

Jackokent.
I remember taking my son to see Bambi when he was about 5. I had forgotten Bambi's mother got shot (silly me) A hushed silence came over the whole cinema when she was shot, tears flowed from all directions and you could hear children asking their parents IS Bambi's mother dead? My son however was more concerned as to why the cinema lights were out and he didn't like the dark!

I haven't seen any of these movies in awhile, but...

Philadelphia: Especially the shot of Tom Hank's character's empty chair in the courtroom after he has died, but his case is still going on.

Dead Man Walking: The juxtaposition of Sean Penn's character's execution with scenes from the murder he committed.

In the Bedroom: To explain would spoil it the shock.

Movies that are happy where I cry at the end: Apollo 13 and Babe.

I tend to cry in a lot of movies, because I have a habit of getting really lost in story lines (ditto with books). But the movie that made me fall apart most was definitely Waterloo Bridge. I mean I seriously fell apart! I cried for like 2 hours after the movie ended, and I was depressed for a week. It was just heartbreaking, the whole thing, and it was so perfectly acted by the wonderful Vivien Leigh. I've only ever seen it once, and it catapulted into my top 5 movies of all time. I've tried to watch it again, but I only got about 20 mins in before I started panicking and turned it off. I just wasn't sure I could go through that again!

I cry at everything from adverts for cancer research to reality makeover shows, even when I just catch the ending..yeah I know. However, there are a few films which are banned in my home for the simple reason that I cannot bear to have them on, I cry during the trailers for petes sake.:(

Who Will Love my children- Heartbreaking story, especiually when the little boy with epilepsy sits on a swing with his mum and asks why nobody wants him..

After the Promise- I can't even begin to explain the things that kill me about this film. It is seriously messed up.

Murder In the First - The fact that they win and still lose is so sad.

The Champ- How anyone could not cry when the kid is screaming wake up Champ! is beyond me. The scene where his dad tells him to go away is also really sad.

Breakfast at Tiffanys- I sob my heart out everytime she's in the rain looking for the cat..but in a happy way.

The Notebook- because we all want a love that would endure that way.

the bit in Crash when the little girl tries to save her dad from being shot, may have caused me to feel some emotion, i didnt cry honest (blubbing as i type)

The Plague Dogs - Never thought I'd cry at a cartoon

The Whales of August - Just very sad the whole way through

I would never say i cry at movies but i can get very emotional and get the lump in the throat feeling. Life is Beautiful and Shawsank Redemption have already been mentioned, but fantastically emotional films in every sense so i think they deserve to mentioned again.

Not everyones favourite movie but certainly one of mine so would have to add in Field of Dreams, Burt Lancaster as he steps of the field knowing he can never return and Costners interraction with his father at the end are just pure genius. Also going to stick in the end of Rocky, and his shouting for "Adrian" while the result is announced in the background and he doesn't give a damn, brilliant! :D

I'll add another vote for Grave of the Fireflys and throw in The Magdalene Sisters, I thought this was a really moving film the first time I saw it. A little while ago it was on again but the start made me so angry I decided I didn't want to sit through it again.

I remember turning on the waterworks when I saw "Snoopy Come Home". I was only a wee lad and when Snoopy left Charlie Brown it was my first encounter with someones loss and it overwhelmed me a bit.

Otherwise, the last 30 seconds of Brazil hit me pretty hard and I took weeks to get over that one.

I tend not to cry at movies. But one film that somehow always manages to bring a tear to my eye is Midnight Run. I know its a comedy, but the scene where Jack meets his daughter after 9 years is so poignant.

what are the saddest movies you've seen. and what was sad about it.

please could you explain why you found the movies sad. thanks

I'll assume you mean moving

Here goes

The Searchers - John Ford - 1956
Once Upon a Time in America - Sergio Leone - 1984
Pat Garret & Billy the Kid - Sam Peckinpah - 1973
Au Hazard Balthazar - Robert Bresson - 1966
Casualties of War - Brian De Palma - 1989
It's My Life to Live - Jean Luc Godard - 1962
La Starda - Frederico Fellini - 1954
The Seven Samurai - Akira Kurosawa - 1954
Barry Lyndon - Stanley Kubrick - 1975
The Leopard - Luchino Visconti - 1963

Last edited:
I tend not to cry at movies. But one film that somehow always manages to bring a tear to my eye is Midnight Run. I know its a comedy, but the scene where Jack meets his daughter after 9 years is so poignant.

I found that scene a bit Cloyingly sentimental for my taste, though the film is actually one of the best Mainstream American Comedy Thrillers ever devised