Which are the Saddest Movies you've seen?

Just one moment, really, affects me - and that's the bit at the end of the The Railway Children (1970) when the smoke clears from the platform, and Jenny Agutter sees her father has got off the train.
Choking up a bit now, in fact, just posting this!:rolleyes:

So I don't even know what the saddest scenes I've seen are. The most purely, thoroughly sad ones aren't very memorable to me. The best ones, the ones that stick with me the most, mitigate the sadness with something else.

I can think of many scenes

The endo f 'Once Upon a Time in the West' Sergio Leone - 1968

Charles Bronson Looks round for the last time, the train Hoots and Claudia Cardinale hands out refeshments to the workers building the track

The end of 'The Searchers' where 'Lucy'/Natalie Wood Returns home and 'Ethan Edwards' John Wayne turns from the Camera shot through the door frame and walks away, forever the outsider

Jenna
I have never seen Waterloo Bridge, have heard about it,have read your post though, I am not sure I could go though it. Vivien Leigh is truly a beautiful actresss, I mean that in both her acting ability and her looks. manybe I shall see if its possible to get a copy.

Braveheart- because of the courage the Scots showed, the love Wallace had for Murron and the princess, the betrayal he suffered and his absolute conviction that his country should be free that led to his death.
Last of the Mohicans- because Uncus tried to save Alice and when he was killed, she jumped to her death from desperation. That the father faced the fact that their tribe would die with him.
Francis Ford Cuppola's Dracula- the enduring love that Vlad had for Elisabeta that spanned centuries.
Philidelphia- the useless death, the injustice and the love Miguel and Andy shared. The impotence Miguel feels as he watches Andy slowly die.
American History X- because the evil the older brother did and tried to atone for was paid back onto his brother and the cycle went on.
The Green Mile- John was possibly an angel but he died anyway and that the horrors the human race inficted on each other hurt him so much that he wanted to. The themes of racism and the abuse of power from Percy.
The Passion of the Christ- because I am religious and I found it to be a more tangible experience than listening to scriptures. For me it was like seeing it really happen, you know it's only a movie but it showed you what it could have been like.
United 93- seeing the story of those people who tried to save themselves, having the courage to stand and fight.
Dead Poets Society- that the boy felt so hopeless that he killed himself, the desparation that drives anyone to suicide. The expulsion of the teacher who had done so much and the boys way of honoring him.
That's all I can think of for now.

I dunno, I've got to put in my vote for The Elephant Man, only because I cannot conceive of any person so deformed, retaining his own dignity, and yet showing such compassion and patience for others. No one really wanted him, except for the purpose of study and curiosity.

Tri

Well i am sort of an emotional person.............though i have a great sense of judgement.

1. Titanic.......... You all know how this one goes....too much to explain
2. Armagedon...........
A Man sacrificing himself to save six billion others- he does this on a nuclear equipt asteroiod.
3. King Kong...........
Seeing how it was beauty that killed the beast when nothing else could.
4. Lord of the Rings (Fellowship of the rings)* When Gandalf fell into shadows............
Seeing the leader and the glue of the fellowship die.

The Joy Luck Club, Beaches, and What Dreams May Come.

Last edited: