Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.

No Inspiration

Newbie, :).
Hey guys.
I have just started reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. I read crazy rave reviews for it, and decided to give it a try.
I am having a hard time getting into it. I'm about 60 pages in, and trying to decide if I should return it.
Did anyone else have this problem?
Should I stick it out?
Thanks for the help,
Lena.

It's not for everybody, that's for certain. I'm one of those people who loved it. But then I loved it from start to finish, so it's hard for me to say whether it improves or not after page sixty. I think it does liven up after the appearance of certain new characters later on, but it's a leisurely sort of novel, and if the 19th century style (which I think she duplicates with great skill) doesn't suit your taste ... well, that's not going to change at any point during the book.

You might want to read a little further, though, and see if starts to capture your fancy anyway, because it's an extraordinary book.

(But if anything anyone said led you to believe that it was an exciting book -- except in a literary sense -- then you're sure to be disappointed.)

I don't want to say more, because it's the book for our April Book Club discussion, and I'd hate to see the discussion begin and end prematurely. (There is an old, old thread about the book somewhere about, which you might want to dredge up with the search function. That may prove more revealing than anything I've said here.)

I read it, and loved it intensly. I rarely get as involved with the characters as I did with both Strange and Norrell.

It's a hard read, but just keep on going with it, NI - it gets a lot better, as well as a lot easier to read.

I tried through the first couple hundred pages, and still couldn't get into it.

I found it painful ro read. I struggled to understand what all the fuss was about. It is a good imitation of 19th century writing styles, but I'd rather take Jane Austen or Philip Pullman than some fusion.

But the book isn't a fusion of Austen and Pullman. That's the sort of glib comparison someone might come up with in trying to market the book, but anyone reading JS&MN looking for similiarities to either writer would surely be disappointed.

"That's the sort of glib comparison someone might come up with in trying to market the book." Teresa.

Thanks I've always enjoyed my thoughts being glibly described as glib.

Well, I could have gone on at length as to why that was a poor comparison, but I didn't really want to go in with all cannons roaring when it seemed like it might just be a light-hearted remark on your part. If you'd like to hear more, I'll be glad to oblige, but in return I would ask you to come up with some solid comparisons between the three writers.

And I really would rather save the detailed discussion for next month. Maybe we could present our arguments then?

I didn't really enjoy it.
I finished it, but it didn't really grab me at all.

No you are not! I liked it although I must confess I skipped some long footnotes. I like the writing style, the characters and the subtle humour but it's a book that you have to have time to savor, not devour. Not a page turner.

Don't worry SB, a lot of us like it - myself, Tal, Allegra, and yourself. Methinks that others who haven't posted in the thread like it also... Culwch definitely springs to mind.

Am I the only person here to like it???

I liked the book quite a bit. In fact it was one of the most enjoyable reads Ive ever had. The thing is, theres no accounting for taste, so if the prose, style, storyline, ect didnt pull you in, what can I say to convince you it was great?

This isn’t what I normally read, but I am trying to read all the Hugo and Nebula novel winners. I’ve read and enjoyed other award winners that I normally wouldn’t read, so I think I’m going to dive in.

You have to invest a lot of time in this book but the effort certainly pays dividends. An absorbing and rich experience IMHO.

I loved this book including the footnotes
Steve S said:
You have to invest a lot of time in this book but the effort certainly pays dividends. An absorbing and rich experience IMHO.

I think that sums it up for me as well.

It was one of the most intricately written books I read last year. I had a couple of frustrations with it, but they were far outweighed with the satisfaction I got from reading it. It takes time to get going (iirc about 1 book!) but it gets better not worse.

Most people read rubbish medievalesque fantasy (and think its great) - take a break from that and read something a little different.