First Lines

She was beautiful; a fact that only registered after she was dead and even then it was an observation noted as a peripheral thought rather than an emotional response. After all, I had just killed her.

Okay, two lines... sorry. :eek:

The man had no name, as like most of the people in the stadium he had lost all ties to his past, if he ever had any past

The sky was a dark sooty red, licked by flames along the horizon, and he was certain that this was the sign he had been waiting for.

Hah! I love some of these lines! I remember, back in high school (UK high school, not US) when we were always told that the key to a good story was a good first line. It's stuck with me ever since, and I spend half my time thinking up new first lines. Some are okay, some not.

They were ready to bring Him back. (I'm thinking of using this one in my revamp of my fantasy novel/trilogy/series <-- depending on how the plot winds up)

The cat had three eyes. (This is the first line in a Devil book)

Clifford Jenkins was a very boring man until he met the Shmoo. (And a comedy series)

I knew something was wrong the moment I woke up; the sky where my ceiling used to be was certainly enough for me to forgo the snooze function on my alarm at any rate.

"As Vodenus lay helpless on the battlefield, a short sword deep in his wound and falling into unconsciousness, he could see the unfocused silhouette of an enemy soldier with his spear poised to thrust approach from the gloom. "

It had been a while since she last picked up her pen to write, and as soon as she did the images in her mind came to life once again.