Thomas Covenant books

ravenus

Heretic
What are these books about in general? Would they be recommended to someone like me who reads fantasy mostly in the dark vein and with at least some degree of horror/grisliness in the mix?

As an example I like the Conan Books by Rob E. Howard

I'll re-post my mini-review. It's my favourite fantasy series so I'm biased, but yes, they're dark and atmospheric in parts, and certainly can be very horrible and grisly.

After a car knocks him unconscious, leper outcast unclean anti-hero Thomas Covenant finds himself transported to The Land, an imaginative world with such tangible beauty and life that one can't help but care about it as passionately as the characters themselves. Covenant's nerve-ends awaken; his leprosy is fading. In stark contrast to his years as an outcast in his home-town, he is now hailed as a reincarnation of the legendary Berek Halfhand, a saviour of the land. But is it illusion or reality? Should Covenant attempt to save The Land from the deadly Despiser as its legends prophesise, or retain his detached leper mentality to survive should it prove to be the former? This is a tale of sanity, survival and discipline, of struggle and purpose, of love, of redemption, of conquering despair and despite, where the external and internal run parallel with the line between them frequently blurred, and fundamental ethical questions are forced like hot knives into the mind of reader and character alike. "The Chronicles..." are as savage as they are beautiful, with a controversial rape scene forcing many to stop reading after only a few chapters, but ultimately this is a wonderfully imaginative, liberating, entrancing tale - probably the best epic fantasy has ever produced.

Ah thanks for the description. Also, one important factor, are the instalments readable independently (like Elric or Conan books) or will I be forced to go through sequentially?

At risk of contradicting my esteemed fellow Chrons:
I picked up both the First and the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, all six books, about 10 years ago in a charity shop.
Read half-way through Lord Foul's Bane and gave up. I've tried to read them half a dozen times since then, and never got any further than that first time, chiefly because, like Nesa and Jackokent, I had so much trouble caring about the main character, and not being in the slightest bit bothered what might befall him.
Still haven't read them, and looks like I may never bother now because my tastes have changed since I got them.
Just thought I'd mention this - I wouldn't try to put anyone off reading anything, but perhaps borrowing LFB as an introduction might be a good idea before investing actual cash!

Thomas Covenant, he was very irritating too start with his general apathy to everything,I wanted to shake him. I started of detesting then a reluctant sympathy crept, too finally admiration.

I thought I'd discovered fantasy gold when I first read Lord Foul's Bane over twenty years ago.

It's one of those books I wish I could read for the first time again.

Would be best to read them in order

Not just best but necessary, methinks.

The Chronicles... tends to polarise readers - you will only occasionally find somebody who thinks they're "not bad" or "decent".

The Gap series, Mordant's Need and his collections of short stories are all highly recommended as well, by the way. Those who thought TC was too depressing should stay the hell away from the Gap (a lot darker than even TC) but definitely give Mordant's Need a shot, that's one of the most entertaining, page-turning stories I've ever read, and I've re-read it several times. Much lighter reading than his two epics.

I have really enjoyed this series because it is quite a unique story and the concepts of "Never dispise and Never despair" seem to uplift my mood when ever I am reading one of Donaldson's novels. I love the land, simple as that.

The Chronicles... tends to polarise readers - you will only occasionally find somebody who thinks they're "not bad" or "decent".

Yes, I agree - I've told people my thoughts (see post above), and they've all said either "Oh yes, I agree!" or " But they're marvellous!" - I can't remember anyone in the "Oh, they were ok-ish" bracket.

Yes, I agree - I've told people my thoughts (see post above), and they've all said either "Oh yes, I agree!" or " But they're marvellous!" - I can't remember anyone in the "Oh, they were ok-ish" bracket.
You can put me to "Oh, they were ok-ish" category ;) When I was in Uni I read third book of the first serie and 2 books from the second serie and they seemd to be a good read. So at some point acquired both trilogies, but so far I've only managed to read the firts book - it was ok, but didn't inspire to take up the rest of them.

You know, I tried to read the Thomas Covenant series on two seperate occassions. I just couldn't get into them. One of the reasons was Thomas Covenant and his incessant whining about being a leper. "I'm a leper, I'm a leper, waaah!" It really got on my nerves. It was almost as bad as the man-bashing in The Wheel of time, which I also couldn't finish.

You know, I tried to read the Thomas Covenant series on two seperate occassions. I just couldn't get into them. One of the reasons was Thomas Covenant and his incessant whining about being a leper. "I'm a leper, I'm a leper, waaah!" It really got on my nerves. It was almost as bad as the man-bashing in The Wheel of time, which I also couldn't finish.

While the series often gets verbose with the internal conflicts of Covenant and in the newest book Linden Avery I think it's necessary for the movement of the plot and overall feel of the book.

I personally love the series but I can see why some people are put off by the main character. I also went from hating, to identifying, to having Covenant as one of my beloved characters. I think the OP might like the series. It is often depressing, dark, and generally bleak when looking from the position of Covenant.

My experience was that it awoke my deep seated paranoia, and I spent about three weeks worrying that I was developing Leprosy.

I never finished the third book.

On the other hand, my best friend liked them so much that when he got married a couple years ago, his fiance (now wife) got him a white gold wedding band, rather than regular gold.

It is probably my second fave fantasy series. I loaned one of my copies of the first in the series to a lady friend once and she got as far as the rape scene and decided it was very misogynistic (<=sp?!?!?) and I had actually warned her ahead of time about that part of the book.

But, for me, it is the humanity of Covenant's condition and his inability to just "change" when everything about him, his illness dissappears, he could forego his "visual examinations of his extremities" but cannot at first, and he has proof of all sorts that he and everything about him has changed. But the persistence of habits and his desire to live, despite his disease, that made me continue reading and as others have said, eventually identifying with him and finally liking him. This is adult fantasy that includes all of the mistakes and vulnerabilities and it makes Covenant a very human character in a fantastical situation.

Just my .02 worth.

I think the plot and fantasy world created by Donaldosn are amazing - but I found the actual style of writing very hard work to read- I can't really explain why , but if they hadn't got such a gripping plot , I would have given up on them long before I got to the end of the series