Verbier Festival

Discussion in 'Music' started by Allegra, Feb 18, 2007.

Allegra

Allegra New Member

Just Received this year's program and so glad to see Anne-Sophie Mutter is coming to the festival for the first time. I thought I'd post a link for the classical music lovers: Verbier Festival & Academy - Home

This two weeks long classical music event is held in Verbier - a small village in the heart of Swiss Alps every summer. Many top classical musicians from all over the world will gather here and over 100 orchestral, chamber, opera and solo concerts will be performed in tents and open - acoustic won't be as good as the Golden Hall of Vienna Musikverein or Concertgebouw Amsterdam but who cares, it's a festival!

Many lunch & afternoon concerts are free. The famous musicians who perform at the festival regularly are: James Levin, Martha Argerich, Evgeny Kissin, Gidon Kremer, Vadim Repin, Yuri Bashmet, Nikolaj Znaider, Dmitry Sitkovetsky, Mischa Maisky... You may bump into any of them on a morning stroll in the village or dine at the next table with them in a restaurant and have a nice chat. I think classical music lovers should go there once in a life time at least. It's a fantastic feast!

If you prefer to get a feeling of Vienna Woods or The Blauen Donau, there is The Donauinselfest, but to me, nothing can beat the fresh Swiss mountain air!

p.s. I don't work for Verbier Academy therefore get no commission by posting this.;)

Allegra

Allegra New Member

Oh just to add this summer Sir Andrew Davis and Zubin Mehta will also be conducting and the sensational Joshua Bell, Sara Chang and the 'classical - pop' pianist Lang Lang will also perform.

Allegra

Allegra New Member

Verbier Festival 2007 kicked off in the little village of Swiss Alps on 20th July. I'm feeling miserable to sit here but at least everyday's concerts are available to watch on this site: Verbier Festival - July 20th / August 5th# . Excellent picture & sound.

The highlights so far:

26th Evgeny Kissin plays Beethoven's piano concerto no.1 with the young Verbier Festival Orchestra; Sibelius symphony no.5.

27th Martha Argerich, Yuri Bashmet, Lang Lang etc. play Beethoven, Schubert, Ravel, etc.

21st, 22nd, Anne-Sofie von Otter sings Schubert, Mozart, Mendelson, Grieg, Sibelius, Janacek, Korngold.

Allegra

Allegra New Member

I've been sticking my face to the monitor all night. Kissin's two Chopin Waltz encores sent me to cloud 9! The op 64 in C sharp minor is soooo hauntingly beautiful, beautifully haunting; and that minute waltz! Ahhhhhhh...

The full screen is great, and the sound perfect - you won't believe it's in a big tent.

Allegra

Allegra New Member

I'm totally thrilled! On 30/7 Kissin played the same recital I went in London in March. Now I can watch it again and again from this Verbier Fastival site. The Schubert early sonata isn't my favourite but the Beethoven 32 variations and the Brahms 6 pieces and Chopin are just otherworldly! Now back to Verbier site, see you in a... few days!:D

Allegra

Allegra New Member

Highlights update - warning: click away if you sensed your head is in danger of being bored off!:D

29th July:

Martha Argerich plays Prokofiev piano concerto 3 (what a perfect match!) after Shchedrin’s violin concerto; and after Prokofiv, Tchaikovsky’s Symphony 5. Verbier Orchestra conducted by Mikhail Pletnev (he’s also an excellent pianist).

A few repertoires of Evgeny Kissin -
    Horowitz’s transcription of Bizet’s Carmen (a hair-rising virtuoso piece delivered with ultra brilliance)
    Liszt’s Liebestraum (I saw him playing this repertoire as an encore a few times, spacious and sensational)
    Mendelssohn’s Spinning song

1st Aug.:

Zubin Mehta directs Verbier Orchestra: Dvorak, Dorman, Berlioz.

4th Aug.: (will be available in a couple of days)

Lars Vogt, Joshua Bell etc. play Bach, Elgar under Sir Andrew Davis and Verbier Orchestra.

The viewing problem with this site is, sometimes it takes forever buffering and may even never come up. But other times it’s perfect. I found usually it seems better in the mornings & afternoons (CET). Just have to try.

Allegra

Allegra New Member

A shout to all Prokofiev lovers - please please, do yourself a massive favour, watch Martha Argerich's 29th performance of concert 3 on the site. I'm watching it right now for the 5th time. Wow, ecstatic bloodcurdling performance, the 2nd best you can ever hear on today's stage around the world! I was all goosepimply and cheering and applauding with the audience at the end.

zeldman8

zeldman8 New Member

To hear the legendary Martha Argerich,doubtless the greatest pianist of all time,is always a magical experience,nobody can compare with this unique genious !!

Allegra

Allegra New Member

Allegra

Allegra New Member

So, this year's Verbier Festival kicked off. For our classical music lovers, even if you are like me, no luck to chill out over there, we can listen and watch some real cool performances by some real cool world leading musicians online:

medici.tv

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Enjoy! :)