What comic books/graphic novels are you reading at the moment?

Sleeper 1+2 turned out to be epic. Anyone who liked it will also love 'Incognito' which will be seeing it's second installment very soon. I have ordered 'Point Blank' which is a precursor to Sleeper, but it is not drawn by Sean Phillips, who was responsible for Brubaker's Criminal, Incognito and Sleeper.

I got 'Granville' by Brian Talbot for my girlfriend (as I slowly introduce her to the GN world.) It is a surreal story where Napoleon has defeated Europe and subsequently the British are under the French empire. But then humans are cast aside by a sudden evolution of animals, who decide that the Humans as evolved are impure and thus enslaved. Granville is a badger working with Scotland yard (a kind of Sherlock Holmes.) The artwork is littered with iconic characters from the medium of illustrated stories, for instance, in the background one may find Rupert the bear in his garden, or Snowy from Tintin. Other characters are subtlety places, such as an animal whose clothes are reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland. Haven't read it completely myself but I think Brian Talbot is awesome.

I have also taken a massive risk by buying the 'Ultimates Omnibus' which is the entire arc of Mark Millar's 'the Ultimates'. It's kind of an Absolute Edition, and I haven't read anything of the Avengers, I don't really like Iron Man, Thor, Captain America or know about the others, but it's meant to be a pretty good story. Having read the 'Wolverine Omnibus' which is the Enemy of the State stories, I have complete faith in Mark Millar as one of Marvel's top writers. I say 'risk' because it was bloody expensive, so I hope it was worth it.

I have noticed that Forbidden Planet have included Scott Pilgrim into their 'Top 50 Graphic Novels'- only at 49 though. Does anyone agree that Scott Pilgrim should be in the list? or do you think it should be higher up in the ranks? (given that '100 Bullets' which is good but not THAT good, beats 'Kingdom Come' AND 'Killing Joke') I have never read Scott Pilgrim.

silly me I replied on the wrong topic lol

But I have a copy of Crimson with me which I'm about to finish as well :)

Currently rapidly working my way through Bill Willingham's Fables and Garth Ennis' The Boys

I have a soft spot for graphic novels with black and white artwork. Skim is one such. The book is written by Mariko Tamaki and illustrated by her cousin Jillian Tamaki.

Skim is an overweight grade 10 student stuck in the suburbs at a private girls’ school, dealing with her separated parents, absorbed in wicca, tarot cards, astrology, and philosophy, and rebelling against conformity. She’s also a visual artist grappling with her emerging gay identity. The tale is narrated as excerpts from Skim’s diary and chronicles her life over the course of one autumn, ending at Christmas. Each entry begins with “Dear diary” and portrays the day in text and art, creating an immediacy and intimacy at the centre of the story.

Skim and her best friend Lisa are outsiders at school. Bullied by cruel cliques and hungry for understanding, Skim develops a sexual crush on her English teacher, Ms. Archer, after a talk in the woods outside school leads to a kiss. Skim begins stalking the teacher (who withdraws) and becomes estranged from her best friend. Skim’s mourning, loss, and isolation are palpable.

Skim’s struggle to become an individual is set against a subplot about a popular girl’s jock boyfriend, who has committed suicide. Assuming that the youth’s suicide is a romantic heterosexual tragedy, the students spiral into group hysteria, led by the marvellously named guidance counsellor, Mrs. Hornet. The story’s examination of gay identities reveals just how closeted high school culture is: the students don’t discuss the fact that the jock was gay. Nor does Skim share her sexual feelings with her best friend.

Im reading Punisher: River of Blood which is a collection of Punisher Warzone series by Chuck Dixon and art by legendary Joe Kubert.

Mid 1990s Punisher is more hardcore than current Max series.

I haven't been reading too many graphic novels and the like lately, but I'm slowly getting back into it by rereading Yutaka Nanten's adaptation of the excellent series Cowboy Bebop.

These last couple of days:
Warren Ellis' The Orbiter - great, but wanted more
Doug Tennapel's Creature Tech - funny and quick
Charles Soule and Renzo Podesta's 27: First Set - great book about the powers of creativity, with fantastic art by Renzo.
Kody Chamberlain's Sweets - I don't like crime, but this is an excellent crime story from New Orleans, and what an atmosphere!

I recently read Chew volume 4, amazing as the rest has been, though now the same thing is happening where I can't wait for volume 5. The whole thing with DC is kind of depressing me at the moment but I don't mind as much when there is amazing stuff like Chew that makes me laugh, and that I could just look at the pictures and enjoy it as much that way.
That said, Demon Knights was lots of fun, but the only new DC comic I was able to buy, the only other two I was interested in being sold out. I've only been waiting about 4 months for Batwoman 1. Never mind.

Halfway through Blankets by Craig Thompson. It's so lovely and true and sad and honest, and I don't want it to end. *sob*

I'm reading some Batwoman at the moment. I got to know about her through the whole New 52 (and have been seeing the cover stuff for those and the artwork is freaking amazing). Been catching up with the earlier stuff, though, and have been going through the Elegy storyline.

Re-reading some of the original 1930s Floyd Gottfredson Mickey Mouse comics. My favorite scene so far is when Horace Horsecollar is seconds away from being lynched by an angry mob. I also like the bit where Clarabell Cow arms herself with a shotgun.
These comics are so awesome by the way, they crap all over the old Mickey Mouse cartoons, and will appeal to fans of Tintin etc.

I'm reading some Batwoman at the moment. I got to know about her through the whole New 52 (and have been seeing the cover stuff for those and the artwork is freaking amazing). Been catching up with the earlier stuff, though, and have been going through the Elegy storyline.

I definitely recommend Batgirl: Casandra Cain if you're interested in the female versions of the Batfamily. I found that run to be pure bliss as far as action and character development went.

Cassandra Cain was the awesome, damaged Batgirl when i started reading comics and backread her series. She is awesome. Im waiting for the new series to get going, become less of reboot and more solid BG story.

I'm afraid I'm a big old Team Barbara Gordon, and so aren't all that interested in Cain or Stephanie Brown (although she does seem quite quippy, which I like).

I've heard less than great things about the new Gordon start up; that it's not that strong yet, that she's a little stuttery and...not weak, as such, but not quite the Barbara we've previously know. Fair enough, considering her back story, but I haven't heard enough to make me want to read them, as much as I love Barbs. I heard that they scaled back her age for the whole new, modern 52, but I would've loved to see a post-Oracle, mid-thirties or whatever Batgirl.

As it is, I'm loving Batwoman with her redness, her kickass ways, and her breaking some sexuality binaries.

Too many, in short :D

If DC Comics is putting it out right now, I'm more than likely reading it. Some of my favorites have been the Batman titles, Superboy, and Stormwatch. For Marvel, Avengers Academy is by far my favorite title. I read a handful of Image and IDW, too.

I haven't checked out the Walking Dead, but since it's got such a large following and a popular tv show, I've thought about picking up the first trade sometime. From my experience with zombie stories, I wouldn't think there's enough to tell too many stories without being repetitive but with the ongoing approaching 100 issues and a weekly title, I'm curious about what stories are being told :)

I'm getting the monthly Batwomans now and loving it. Today's issue, #4, was incredibly tense! Things really peaking with Bette and the weird Bones guy. Rather raunchy start to the comic, which was, as with all the the comics in this series, beautifully drawn and lovely to see Kate getting some off time with her girlfriend. It took me a little while to realise that there are no 'thought' boxes from Kate, we never hear her thoughts or observations unless she says them out loud. Which I really like. She doesn't feel like the type to be full of introspection and everything we need to know about her, we see through her actions.

And in every issue there's a panel of her looking absolutely stunning and awesome, and in this issue, it was the double cape spread, with her sitting on the window sill. She's definitely my major comic crush.

Although...

On the spur of the moment I picked up the first three issues of Birds of Prey. A large majority of it is action, which makes it a pacey series that just drags you along, very enjoyable. Love the dynamic within the team. Wonderful two-page spread of them all caught in an explosion, which I loved. Batgirl joins in from next week's issue, which'll be cool. I can't quite bring myself to read her comic at the moment, so I'll at least be getting some of her in this series.

And carrying on from my trailing thought, rather liking Poison Ivy, too :D Redheads...

Back