What comic books/graphic novels are you reading at the moment?

I've had Marvel Unlimited for the last six or so months now, and have been randomly dipping in and out - mostly X-Men titles, but some others. But now I'm trying to catch up to the most recent releases (although with MU I think they're on a six-month delay). I've now read through the lead up to and beyond the Schism/Avengers vs X-Men crossover, and now I'm reading a number of titles month-by-month, including most of the X-Men titles, Avengers, New Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Deadpool, Superior Spiderman, and a few more besides, and I'm now up to March 2013 releases. If anyone has suggestions of recent titles I should check out, let me know! Or even older books I may have missed!

I'm really loving the MU platform. The mobile app (on Android) was very frustrating to begin with, but it's improved no end since. It's a great way to catch up on older titles, which is what I was keen to do. I just wish DC would introduce something similar...

That's and awful lot to catch up on Cul, but a lot of fun at the same time. You'll be overtaking me at the moment with my ever-growing backlog.

How recent are you looking for, Cul? I'm more DC, but I dip my toes into Marvel when something particularly interesting comes up.

And I can heartily recommend the new Elektra, which is just three issues in at the moment. It's written by the guy who used to write the Batwoman comics at DC and he writes some cracking stuff, and the artwork really channels Bill Sienkiewicz's from the brilliant 80's Elektra: Assassin. It's beautiful. Loving it.

While I'm here, I started getting the weekly Batman Eternal series, which will apparently be going on for 52 weeks. Got to say, though, I'm about 10? 12? issues in and I'm really enjoying it. Each week ends on a proper 'dun dun dun' moment and it's featured pretty much everyone who's everyone in the BatFam universe.

Hoops there is a rumour going around that the DC Universe is going to be reset again, maybe not on as big a scale, but something...

Brace yourself...

Heh, yeah, I've heard the rumours, stemming from this whole weird-ass Futures End lark. The whole New 52 has felt rather messy since its beginnings so it would be nice if they took the chance to clear things up a bit.

I expect it, however, to just get more convoluted ;)

Someone I was talking to reckoned it was just an excuse to put Clark and Lois back together.

I wouldn't mind that. It feels at times like the New 52 was merely an experiment to see how many ways they could mess around with Superman.

Plus I really don't like the whole 'we're aliens and so misunderstood and we're the only people to 'get' each other so we have to be in a relationship' crap between him and Wonder Woman.

Recently took delivery of The Planetary Omnibus.
Started to read it last night, read a little more today and will be picking it up again later.
Enjoying it quite a lot so far

Just reread Ellis' excellent Supergod

Finished The Planetary and really enjoyed it. Excellent artwork, great storyline, satisfying ending.

Last night I read the first two editions of the four edition set of Curse. See here for more details:

http://www.boom-studios.com/curse-01-cover-a.html

If you enjoy reading horror then I definitely recommend it. I'd have gone through all four comics last night no problem but I had to be up early for work this morning and it was getting late. I'll definitely be reading the final two tonight. I'd read good reviews but have to say I was mightily impressed, it's absolutely fantastic and without doubt one of the best comics I've read in a long time.

Curse was excellent, one I'm going to re-read at some stage.

I then read issues 1-4 in quick succession of Who Needs The Moon (see separate thread - was not expecting a sudden change of events in issue 4!)

Last night i Picked up American Vampire Vol 3. Such a great series, I'd forgotten how much I enjoy it. I have Vol 4, 5 and 6 on the shelf and I'm considering going straight through them all.

I have volumes 1-8 of Grant Morrison's New X-men on the shelf. I'll make a start on these whilst I wait for Saga vol 2 to arrive.

I don't normally read graphic novels that often but recently I read "Superior" by Mark Millar, same chap who did "Kick-Ass".
I absolutely loved it, it's a one off novel, brilliant story with some great big twists at the end that I did not see coming, had a very moving line, "the best thing was being able to wriggle my toes".
The art work is very good also, 5 Stars, highly recommended !!!

Last edited:
Just read the newly released Who Needs The Moon issue 5, got to be honest and say I didn't enjoy it as much as 1-4, hopefully the story will pick up in issue 6.

Last night I started reading Daredevil End of Days, got about half way through, saving the latter half for this evening. Thought it was incredible, love the way Ben Urich is looking into the last few days of Daredevil's life. Superb artwork, really is a top quality graphic novel so far.

End of Days was excellent, in fact when I finished it I started at the beginning and quickly went through to the end, picking up on clues and hints I'd missed the first time.
Started Batman Year One last night, got about halfway through. Again, it's another absolutely enthralling read!

Rocket Raccoon.
Starlight.
Gotham Academy.
A Tale Of Sand.

About to start The Wake, and waiting for Spider-man: Learning To Crawl to come out in TPB.

I've also been obsessing over Trencher lately, and rereading Ramon Perez's Kukuburi webcomic. It's actually webcomics that I'm reading the most.

Space Mullet, Table Titans, Hinges, Tenko King, Battle Pug and Skull Chaser.

Practically only reading Image comics anymore.. Aside from the odd Batman TPB.

Saga is excellent, Fatale is goosebumpy awesome - and over, so pick up the five volumes asap - , East of West might just be the most epic myth ever created by Man, and Five Ghosts is not too bad either!

On the European front, I'm currently going through the entire collection of "Les Cités Obscures" by Schuiten and Peeters, and always keep an Enki Bilal graphic novel on my nightstand for whenever I fancy some eye candy.

Back