Marketing

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Steve S, Feb 13, 2007.

Steve S

Steve S New Member

Hello all,

It's probably an age old question but do any of you guys have some good tips for marketing a self published book? I'm in the process of taking out some (free) ads in genre magazines and registering my website with Google etc but I'd be really interested to hear any suggestions!

Cheers

Steve
    Mark Robson

Mark Robson Dragon Writer

Steve,

Welcome to Chronicles. :)

I have a set of notes on self publishing and marketing that I wrote a couple of years ago. They are slightly out of date now, but still contain a lot of good information. If you want a set, please email me at info@swordpublishing.co.uk
    Brian Turner

Brian Turner Brian G. Turner Staff Member

theDamonfreak

theDamonfreak Kingdom? No. World? Yes.

That sounds like a good idea. I'll have to peek through such links when I have the chance.

I'm self-published, released my first book last year. Now comes the serious marketing stuff, but I'd still rather have an agent. I just couldn't get hold of one last year and I am, sadly, a very impatient person. *blushes*

Marketing is not something I am interested in though. I'd much rather just write the book and hand it over to someone, saying 'here, go sell.'

So, in retrospect, self-publishing was really the worst possible thing I could have chosen... *decisive nod* we learn from our mistakes.
    Michael01

Michael01 Coven of the Worm

I know just what you mean, DF.:eek:

But I still might try it again in the future, as long as I get a little more motivated about marketing.
    roddglenn

roddglenn Colonial Marine

Even going through traditional publishers, you are still expected to do a lot of self promoting and marketing activities, so unfortunately it is just part of the whole writing game. The good thing with traditional publishers is that they do have marketing and PR departments who take some of the burden off the author and also help to coordinate all of the activities.
    Michael01

Thanks, roddglen. That's good to know. At least they help a little. Plus, I know a bit more now about how to market a book, so when the time comes I may have better chance at it the second time around.
    roddglenn

roddglenn Colonial Marine

Good luck with it. :)
    Michael01

Hey, thanks for the encouragement!