Concerts

Discussion in 'Music' started by Allegra, Feb 11, 2007.

Allegra

Allegra New Member

What concert are you going to? What concerts you've been are most memorable?

I'm going to London next month for 3 classical ones: my favourite pianist Evgeny Kissin's recital - he'll play a Schubert's sonata and some pieces by Beethoven, Brahms and Chopin; London Symphony Orchestra plays Tchaikovsky's symphony No.4 with a starter of a Mozart's piano concerto by the excellent Japanese pianist Uchida; the greatest Berliner Philharmoniker plays DvorákSymphony No.7.

The most wonderful experiences to me are the few concerts/recitals of Evgeny Kissin I've been to. Just like the great virtuosos in the past, such as Horowitz, Rubinstein, Glenn Gould, each of Kissin's concert is an extraordinary event.

bruno-1012

bruno-1012 I ate all the turkey....

Saw the Pretenders on Saturday.

Going to a Boogie Woogie and Rock and Roll concert on Thursday - free and out of doors.

Pretty much go to anything that is advertised as we don't see much out here.

Apart from that its looking forward to the Wickerman in July.

mzarynn

mzarynn Harper for Hire

I always love to see Mozart's Requiem by anyone who cares to do it. Though most of the concerts I see are put on by high school and elementary school students. The last rock concert I saw was Bon Jovi and it was excellent. Being an elementary music teacher, I was inspired by the fact that such a large crowd can sing in tune and really be part of the music... or perhaps it was just the giant cups of beer they serve. Either way, it was a good time.

Allegra

Allegra New Member

Well there's a good one by LSO in London in Oct.: Barbican - London Symphony Orchestra: Belief You'd have to be as twice crazy as I am!:)

The 3 concerts at the Barbican were brilliant in their own ways. Evgeny Kissin's recital was just as usual, a mysterious frenzy. Fully packed hall, long standing ovation, loud cheering, flowers and endless encores and curtain calls... WOW!

LSO played Tchaikovsky 4th symphony very well under Sir Colin Davis. The Queen & The Duke showed up and everyone got a free glass of champagne to chill out.

The Berliner Philharmoniker's Dvorák 7 was breathtaking. The best orchestra in the world, they played every note with perfection and discipline. If you are a classical music lover and haven't seen their performance, don't miss it when they go to your area.

Knight_of_Nights

Knight_of_Nights Nighty-knight

I was going to go to a Nine Inch Nails concert, but I was unable to raise the money. However, I may be going to Guns 'n' Roses, although without Slash...

Then there's Jet and hopefully Marilyn Manson later in the year, which I should have money for.

littlemissattitude

littlemissattitude Super Moderator

Sorry. Without Slash, it isn't Guns 'n' Roses. Period.

I think we've had another thread discussing this at some point a long time ago, but since I'm really feeling lazy tonight, I'll answer again.

Most memorable concerts I've attended, not listed in any particular order:

Neil Young (opening act: Linda Ronstat; special guests: David Crosby, Graham Nash)
    Elton John (opening acts: Joe Walsh, Emmylou Harris)
    U2 (opening acts: Sugarcubes, Public Enemy)
    Prince (no opening act)
    Crosby, Stills and Nash (no opening act)

RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner New Member

Iron Maiden is coming to town in a couple of days' time .. All set for it ..

Sibeling

Sibeling Born to rune

I'm looking forward the Pet Shop Boys concert - I have already bought the ticket. :)

Blackrose75

Blackrose75 New Member

hello all :)

I'm off to a Paradise Lost concert on April 12th, haven't seen them play for along time but they're doing a best of set for a dvd shoot so I think it'll be pretty cool! :p

Allegra

Allegra New Member

José Carreras is coming to the island in June and I'm looking forward to the concert. Although Pavarotti is the greatest of the great 3 tenors, Carreras has the most beautiful voice.

Knight_of_Nights

Knight_of_Nights Nighty-knight

Silverchair announced a concert but before I could get tickets it had sold out (15mins). Guns and Roses have now announced a concert and I am hoping to go, but the result is decision pending.

Quokka

Quokka wandering

With all the hype about the new album, I'm guessing that's going to be a common problem with Silverchair tickets :(. Powderfinger's releasing the first single of their new album on Monday I think (finally!) so hopefully a tour isn't too far away.

Posted this somewhere else before but the best concert Ive been to recently was The Cat Empire at an outdoor venue called Belvoir Ampitheatre. Couldn't have picked a better spot for a Summer concert.

Attached Files:

Allegra

Allegra New Member

That looks cool, very close to the nature!:)

Hopefully I'm going to Rome in...(looking anxiously)...December to see my favourite pianist Evgeny Kissin playing one of my favourite composers Prokofiev's concerto No. 3. I know it's a long way to go but once the tickets for sale all goods seats will be snatched in a few days like always with a Kissin concert. I have his album of playing this piece together with the No.1, with Claudio Abbado conducting Berliner Philharmoniker. Absolutely fantastic. Prokofiev is Kissin's element since his teenage years.

Here is a short video clip of the last 2 minutes of the concerto's final movement - the frenetic coda leading to a sudden explosive ending. Played by an 'okay' French pianist:

YouTube - Cazal plays Prokofiev Concerto N.3

HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Iago with a Blackberry

Concerts I've been to:

Kaiser Chiefs (supported by Maximo Park, woop!)
    Kaiser Chiefs again, supported by Graham Coxon (and after I met the band at the after-show party. Ricky was so drunk, bless him. But he still posed for a picture with me and my friends. And kissed me on the head, wooo! (I haven't washed my hair since....joke!!))
    El Presidente (what happened to them, they just disappeared!) In a very small room in the Birmingham academy, so it was brilliant.
    Red Hot Chili Peppers (WOO!) I am such a fan of these, so needless to say I was very excited and happy when seeing them!

I've also been the the Reading Festival, in 2005, where I saw Foo Fighters, Razorlight, The Killers, Kings of Leon, The Coral, Block Party, Hot Hot Heat, Queens of the Stone Age, The Futureheads, Elbow and many other bands. Absolutely awesome weekend, not only for the bands but the whole campsite atmosphere as well.

Majimaune

Majimaune Actum pro novus diem

I could go on for ages how much I tried to get Chilis tickets. It was impossible I tell you.

I would love to go to Evermore in June, and Jet. John Butler Trio should be doing a tour soon because of their new album. I would love to go to that.

Oh and my first concert was The Wiggles. Before they were as massive as they are now. The have been around as long as I have.

Joel007

Joel007 Shiny! Let's be bad guys.

I'm not really a huge fan of live gigs, I tend to just visit the occasional one. That said, I've been to see
    Where on Earth, Joe Satriani, Steve, Phatfish, Delirious?, Bottlerokit. And of course, Paul Oakley and Matt Redman at various Soul survivor meetings :p

RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner New Member

Aerosmith is coming to my city in sometiem .. Won't be going for it i guess ..

iansales

iansales Active Member

Saw Akercocke live last night. Supported by Ted Maul and Cephalic Carnage. Not for the faint-hearted.

Quokka

Quokka wandering

Silverchair and Powderfinger touring together YAY! Of course the chances of anyone actually getting a ticket have just halved. Still I'll be trying to get a few for the Clarmont Oval show in September.

Would have been nice to see a second WA gig but its great to see them putting on shows all over the country.

Phaedrus182

Phaedrus182 New Member

I saw Damien Rice with my wife a couple of months back. He was incredible. Not a well known artist yet, but watch out for him. Both his albums: "The Story of O" and "9" are awesome. He is going to be big!