Samuel R Delany

So Dhalgren is generally regarded as Delany's best work?

It'd almost certainly be regarded as his most polarizing work. Some hate it and some love it. (I'm in the former camp.) I'd echo the others with Nova. I've also read The Einstein Intersection and Babel-17. Think that's it. Those are okay, but I agree with Victoria that Nova "works" on both levels - it's a good read and has the stuff the lit profs love, too. ;) (I put "works" in quotes because I don't even quite love it but it was fine for me.)

I sure wouldn't start with Dhalgren, though. I couldn't finish it - could hardly start it - and it would require a massive investment to do so and, if it ultimately didn't work out for you, you'd likely be put off trying any more. One of the three earlier ones (two award winners) would be a better way to get your toes wet and, if they worked, then there'd be more reason to mess with Dhalgren.

(I've posted this a million times but it keeps coming up and Dhalgren just punches my buttons.)

It'd almost certainly be regarded as his most polarizing work. Some hate it and some love it. (I'm in the former camp.) I'd echo the others with Nova. I've also read The Einstein Intersection and Babel-17. Think that's it. Those are okay, but I agree with Victoria that Nova "works" on both levels - it's a good read and has the stuff the lit profs love, too. ;) (I put "works" in quotes because I don't even quite love it but it was fine for me.)

I sure wouldn't start with Dhalgren, though. I couldn't finish it - could hardly start it - and it would require a massive investment to do so and, if it ultimately didn't work out for you, you'd likely be put off trying any more. One of the three earlier ones (two award winners) would be a better way to get your toes wet and, if they worked, then there'd be more reason to mess with Dhalgren.

(I've posted this a million times but it keeps coming up and Dhalgren just punches my buttons.)

Ive tried several times to read Dhalgren. It's an Impossible book.

Since I last posted in this thread I've now read a couple of Delany's books.

I read Nova last year, and I liked it a good deal. It's very accessible and entertaining, while also providing a fairly literary style that made it seem more than a simple space-opera.

And this past week I read Babel-17. This was a little less accessible. It wasn't a slog at all, and it's quite short (compared to current novels), but it does have periods of stagnation in its pacing, where Delany prioritises style over content, and lets his literary sensibilities get the better of him. Some passages were genuinely difficult, both to read and work out what was going on. That said, it all came out quite clearly in the end, loose ends were tied, and I was left being glad I read it. Delany's central thesis here, that our thoughts and perceptions are dictated by our language, is an interesting one. It leaves much food for thought, and certainly offers a depth beyond most SF of the era. I'd recommend it I think - the pros ultimately outweigh the cons.

And this past week I read Babel-17. This was a little less accessible. It wasn't a slog at all, and it's quite short (compared to current novels), but it does have periods of stagnation in its pacing, where Delany prioritises style over content, and lets his literary sensibilities get the better of him.

Based on this observation, I'd be interested in your opinion of The Einstein Intersection.

I'd be happy to give it, but would need to track it down. (I've not read it). It's a recommended title, in the main?
Babel-17 won the Nebula Award in 1966. The Einstein Intersection won it in 1967. You might consider it an appropriate follow-on in a strictly literary sense. The stories have nothing to do with one another. But the nature of the story telling is fascinating even if you find the tale itself as less than epic.

"Dahlgren" is sort of like "Stranger in a Strange Land"; both appealed to a lot of people outside the field; both had certain topics and styles characteristic of the writers, but neither were representative of their main body of work, and should not serve a as a general introduction to either author.

(And both were great)

"Dahlgren" is sort of like "Stranger in a Strange Land"; both appealed to a lot of people outside the field; both had certain topics and styles characteristic of the writers, but neither were representative of their main body of work, and should not serve a as a general introduction to either author.

(And both were great)

Ive tried reading Dahlgren a couple of times. Found it an impossible book to get into.:unsure:

Delany's central thesis here, that our thoughts and perceptions are dictated by our language, is an interesting one.

If you liked that aspect and haven't read Jack Vance's The Languages of Pao, then definitely check that one out.

If you liked that aspect and haven't read Jack Vance's The Languages of Pao, then definitely check that one out.
Yes. I was thinking the same thing. Analogous subject, completely different approach. Also try the writings of Bruce Chatwin especially Songlines, which is to a significant extent about the interrelationships between Australian aboriginal language and consciousness.

A psychologist might say that this is all romance based on the discredited Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. Still, very interesting.

Thanks for those recs, much appreciated folks.

A psychologist might say that this is all romance based on the discredited Sapir-Whorf hypothesis.
They quite possibly would, but as I have no clue what that means I'll not worry about it too much :).

Hello everyone :cool:

I've only read 'The Einstein Intersection'

and I'm about to read 'Nova' 1968

anybody like this author?, taking into account his Post Nova period (Dharlgren, Triton, Stars in my Pocket like Grains of Sand etc)

and earlier stuff like 'the Jewels of Aptor', 'The Fall of the Towers', The Ballad of Beta 2, Babel-17 etc
Dahlgren is one of the weirdest books but very enjoyable. Read it many years ago. A great book. You read about a hundred pages and you realize the author is not going to explain how the situation came to be. Really mind numbing.

I am currently plodding my way thru "Dahlgren". This is my second try. I had the book years ago, started it and let go of it (loaned it out before finishing it). Picked it up again late last year and have been reading at it since. (I only read this one when I am at a restaurant for lunch.) I am hoping the loose ends come together as I near the end. From what I've read so far, I'd almost label it "speculative fiction" rather than science fiction.
There is no explanation how things came about. Really interesting.