Samuel R Delany

I've only read Babel-17 and I enjoyed that well enough. Although I did find it a bit inconsistent and at times the dialogue dragged. The first half was fantastic, I especially enjoyed the whole idea of transport, customs and discorporate classes and I fully expected to be giving it full marks by the end but about half way through the story seemed to be sacrificed so that Delany could get his point across.

Not too long ago I made my way through Delany's "Neveryon" series. I found it fascinating. On the surface, it seems to be sword and sorcery of a familiar kind. However, it's really about signs and symbols ("A Child's Garden of Semiotics" the author calls it, in one of his afterwords) and is not at all like typical fantasy. Although it is clearly a "literary/intellectual" work, and is at times almost outrageously "post-modern" (the last story in the cycle is identical to the first story in the cycle, for example), I never found it "difficult" or dull.

I might also suggest taking a look at the novel version of "They Fly at Ciron," written many years after the shorter version. It is much more of a "traditional" story, if you will, but unusually well-written and well-characterized.

It's interesting to note that, outside of SF/F fandom, Delany is probably mostly known as a writer of literature of gay interest. I recently purchased his long novel The Mad Man, which would fall into this category of literature. It will be interesting to see what it's like to read him outside of the SF/F genres.

I think the only SF/F novel by Delany I have not read is Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand. I'll have to track down a copy sometime.

I'm glad this thread was bumped; that was an excellent read.

As a reader i take for granted the personal life, experience of an a famous author in this field since its in hindsight now. Specially authors from earlier times who are classic names today like Delany, its easy to forget he lived in a time where SFF authors of color wasnt as common as today. Fascinating, somewhat depressing to read how even other prominent authors interacted with him, others in the similar situation.

I think the only SF/F novel by Delany I have not read is Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand. I'll have to track down a copy sometime.

I'm reading it now: it's pretty good; the opening story is like a self-contained novelette, then things get very confusing for a while, until you catch up to what is going on and you can the appreciate all of the very rich world building. Delaney happily takes time to create very detailed histories and invents a whole literature and culture to place his characters in. Very self-indulgent writing, but so far, compelling in an escapist way. It's also unabashedly gay. Not for the impatient!

Since I'm old, I read most of his major works when they were first published and enjoyed them all. But, being much younger, I didn't stop to appreciate his literary style, just immersed myself in the stories. Babel-17, Nova, Triton and even Dhalgren were absorbed without pause for reflection.

Then I read The Eistein Intersection for the first time a year or so ago. And for the first time I was struck by his prowess with words and language. I wonder if I should do any re-reads. I'm afraid it might spoil my earlier impressions.

I've not reread that much of Delaney, only a few things here and there over the years, but I can't say I've ever been disappointed by such a rereading. I think it is more likely to simply add new layers to your enjoyment, rather than diminish it....

I've not reread that much of Delaney, only a few things here and there over the years, but I can't say I've ever been disappointed by such a rereading. I think it is more likely to simply add new layers to your enjoyment, rather than diminish it....

What do you think about The Eistein Intersection ? It is in many list i see in important SF books but then i hear often about Dhalgren, Nova. Delaney i havent read yet and last couple of years im stopped by the lack of knowledge about his works and which is the best option for first time reader of his works.

That reads as though your judgement is based more on his lifestyle than his books. I found Triton a bit dull, but I still count Dahlgren as one of my favourite science fiction novels and I reread it every few years.

Ya just never know. I didn't like Dahlgren at all. Nothing to do with sex scenes. It was a vivid setting and I liked the tone and I really wanted something to happen. And then not much did. And then even less did. It was a literary form of emo and just wasn't worth the time.

I'd almost like someone else to write a story in that setting. You know, someone who would tell an actual story.

What do you think about The Eistein Intersection ? It is in many list i see in important SF books but then i hear often about Dhalgren, Nova. Delaney i havent read yet and last couple of years im stopped by the lack of knowledge about his works and which is the best option for first time reader of his works.

Conn: Both Nova and The Einstein Intersection were written in the late 1960s. As such they represent an earlier more accessible phase of his writing. Both are fairly quick reads by todays standards. I'd go with Nova first: Interesting stuff about cyborg technology and entertaining use of the Tarot in the story. A strange combination, but it works. The second book is layered with mysterious circumstances and provides more questions than answers, but is compelling nonetheless.

Dhalgren, OTOH, is pretty much his Magnum Opus and probably not the best choice for a first read.

It depends on what you're going for. As clovis man notes, the earlier novels are more accessible, whereas Dhalgren is, literarily speaking, one of the genuine high points in both Delaney's career and science fiction....

Nova it is then for me and avoid Dhalgren as first read is what im thinking.

Thanks for the help both of you. The first read need to more accessible read is my thought.

In which case, Connavar, skip Nova and get Babel-17. Nova is a bit histrionic.

I picked up Babel-17 because of an interview that Neil Peart did during a Rush documentary now it's one of my all-time favorite books.

So Dhalgren is generally regarded as Delany's best work?

Certainly his most expansive. Exploring aspects of social interaction, sexuality, urban decay and so on. Hard to categorize it. I'm quite sure that another reader would be able to pick out a list of other areas of emphasis that are different from what I might note. I would suggest to just start reading and go with the flow.

Hmm, Delaney's one of those who I've always mentally (and probably unfairly) put in the too hard basket, along with the likes of Disch. Perhaps Nova should surface in the tbr pile. It's sitting on the shelf staring at me afterall, slowly gathering dust.

They Fly At Ciron is also very readable, and proves the author isn't always "difficult."

EDIT: I see I already mentioned this above, so I'll just add agreement about Nova, although I think that novel is a bit deeper than its space opera surface might suggest.