Samuel R Delany

The Wanderer

Zelazny's Worlds
Hello everyone :cool:

I've only read 'The Einstein Intersection'

and I'm about to read 'Nova' 1968

anybody like this author?, taking into account his Post Nova period (Dharlgren, Triton, Stars in my Pocket like Grains of Sand etc)

and earlier stuff like 'the Jewels of Aptor', 'The Fall of the Towers', The Ballad of Beta 2, Babel-17 etc

For me, his major failing was letting style become more important than content, but he's certainly worth reading,
I very much enjoyed "Babel-17", having read it right at the time when I was discovering that learning to think in a different language changes the structure of thought, and the way you see the world, part of the message of the book.
The storylines are occasionally a bit thin, but generally the writing standard makes up for it.

For me, his major failing was letting style become more important than content

Zelazny has been accused of that too

Yet he has had supporters, among them Umburto Eco, William Gibson, Theodore Sturgeon....

I'd have to agree with Chris on this one; Delaney does sometimes have that imbalance a bit too prominently, and that can be one of the flaws in his books. Zelazny has it, too, but not to quite the same degree (generally speaking). However, Delaney's strength is that he does build fascinating ideas, and uses the language very well indeed; so I would definitely include him as a major writer who should be read and enjoyed.

As for the specific books you mention: It's been a very long time since I read most of them (back when they were first published, or shortly thereafter), but Dhalgren is a superb book, well worth reading. Nova is good, but not on the same level, by any means. The Fall of the Towers ... like a lot of the early Delaney, that one suffers from disproportion in the structure, but it's an interesting read for those who'd like a "New Wave"-ish take on some older sf ideas. Babel-17 is, despite the flaws mentioned, one of my favorites of his work, because it does deal rather well with the concept, and can give you food for thought for a long time after you've finished the book.

I'd like to ask: Has anyone here read The Jewel-Hinged Jaw? I once had a copy but, before I got around to reading it, it disappeared during a move; I've not been able to find it since (not that I've looked that hard for a while, but it comes to mind in this context). Anyone?

Dahlgren is a favourite novel. I've read it several times. On the other hand, I've started Stars in My Pocket, Like Grains of Sand a couple of times but never managed toi finish it. One day, I'll have another bash it...

I have a copy of The Jewel-Hinged Jaw, but I've yet to read it.

tars in My Pocket, Like Grains of Sand a couple of times but never managed toi finish it. One day, I'll have another bash it...

I know that feeling, I've sometimes come back to books after 12-12 years and and enjoyed them, after originally thinking, Huh?

I've only read Dhalgren, and it was one of those books where I finished and said, "what was that all about?"

Never tried any of the others.... That was 20 years ago, maybe I'll give him another shot.

I've only read Dhalgren, and it was one of those books where I finished and said, "what was that all about?"

Never tried any of the others.... That was 20 years ago, maybe I'll give him another shot.

it's 800 pages, something must have made you keep reading...

Perhaps it's the 'Ulysses' of Science Fiction.

I have a fond recollection of Dhalgren, but it is a bit long and Delany’s writing has its vicissitudes. I suggest Babel-17 and Triton from his later works. I also liked The Fall of the Towers from his earlier stuff, but it’s longer than Babel-17 and Triton.

You’re right. I totally forgot it was on omnibus of Out of the Dead City, The Towers of Toron and City of a Thousand Suns. It was a long time ago, but I believe they were all connected or related in some fashion. I don’t remember any specifics, but they left a favorable impression. I’m going to keep an eye out for The Jewels of Aptor.

You’re right. I totally forgot it was on omnibus of Out of the Dead City, The Towers of Toron and City of a Thousand Suns. It was a long time ago, but I believe they were all connected or related in some fashion. I don’t remember any specifics, but they left a favorable impression. I’m going to keep an eye out for The Jewels of Aptor.

Yeap and it's been released on Vintage, I think ifg I'm not Mistaken as is Dharlgren, 'The Jewels of Aptor' 1962 was on VG Collectors Editions, it is now out of print, but may still be around in new copies on ebay and Amazon sellers;)

Trition & Stars in My Pocket Like Grains of Sand, are still available on Wesleyan University Press

Hope you are enjoying Nova, I consider it one of the best SF novels of all time! Babel 17 is also quite good. I can't stand pretty much anything of his from the '70s on, as they become bloated and self indlugent excuses for Delany to reflect on his own lifestyle in the guise of SF novels which lack any sort of plot (Dalgren/Triton)

Hope you are enjoying Nova, I consider it one of the best SF novels of all time! Babel 17 is also quite good. I can't stand pretty much anything of his from the '70s on, as they become bloated and self indlugent excuses for Delany to reflect on his own lifestyle in the guise of SF novels which lack any sort of plot (Dalgren/Triton)

Nova is indeed a wonderful book, Delany's later work has gotten more respect from Critics and writers outside the field of Science Fiction

...as they become bloated and self indlugent excuses for Delany to reflect on his own lifestyle in the guise of SF novels which lack any sort of plot (Dalgren/Triton)

That reads as though your judgement is based more on his lifestyle than his books. I found Triton a bit dull, but I still count Dahlgren as one of my favourite science fiction novels and I reread it every few years.

That reads as though your judgement is based more on his lifestyle than his books. I found Triton a bit dull, but I still count Dahlgren as one of my favourite science fiction novels and I reread it every few years.

I am surprised that such a work sold so many copies, as it's not an designed to be accesible escapism, there are comparisons with Pynchon, perhsps he was branching out of science fiction style while remaining in it's visible landscape

I doubt Delany "designed" any of his novels to be accessible escapism. This was in the days before Star Wars, after all. Delany was always a literary writer, but he chose to work in science fiction.

I am currently plodding my way thru "Dahlgren". This is my second try. I had the book years ago, started it and let go of it (loaned it out before finishing it). Picked it up again late last year and have been reading at it since. (I only read this one when I am at a restaurant for lunch.) I am hoping the loose ends come together as I near the end. From what I've read so far, I'd almost label it "speculative fiction" rather than science fiction.