Stephen King - Best Book??

Rage was pretty good, although most people that haven't read it in the states will probably have to order it somehow because King brought it off the market, because some kid who decided to replicate the things from the book was caught with that book in his locker. Now, I know it would seem prudent to take such action, but I really can't understand why this happened, because you could say that any books about things such as the war in Iraq could be acting as accelerants just as much as King's book might have acted for that kid.
King can't be held responsible for random happenings like this, or at least he shouldn't feel the need to protect himself from them simply because one person was influenced by it. But still, great read.lol. I love it when stories are kept to a relatively short length, those ones where you know that if you decide to sit down on a summer evening at six, it'll still be bright by the time you finish it out(that's if you're as slow a reader as I am, compared to others, although I read as if words are my essence). Although saying that I don't mind the hefty books either, those 1000 page tomes. Bag of Bones was excellent, but god don't start me with The Stand. I thought the idea was great, and some sub-stories within it were great to keep track of, but seriously, am I the only person who thought Fran's only characteristic was crying? I'm not anti-crying(lol), but that was the most irritating thing ever. You'd nearly feel you needed a virtual rain coat before you started to read a scene she was in. I better stop, I'm coming across very critical, when really I love nearly everything by King I can get a hold of.
Rage...was that the one where that kid went crazy shot his teacher, and held a classroom hostage?

Is that the Wolves of the Calla, Pyan? Is that the one you're enjoying the most? Or were you just being facetious? :D

I meant that as I get to each one, it becomes the best one because it's the one I'm reading and I don't know what'll happen next.....:D

When I've finished (and you don't know how hard it is to stay away from that tantalising thread in SK entitled
Ending of the Dark Tower Series (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
I'll be able to give you a better idea....But at the moment, I'm just living from day to day........:D

No! I forbid you to go into that thread, young man! :p It'll ruin everything. And I want your honest opinion on the ending when you get there. Remember, a thousand word report! :p

Definately stay away from that thread. That ending is something that you need to experience without prejudice.

For now, I think IT and Salem's Lot are his bests. I got scared by IT too, though not so much by Salem's Lot since I just read it recently. IT was really long but it's really a classic. The clown wasn't just scary, it's really evil.. >.<

Stephen King was the author that made me want to be a writer. My gran decided to borrow Salem's Lot from the library when I was about 12/13 years old. I started it at about 8 in the evening and finished it at about 5 in the morning. It blew my mind! Scared the hell out of me, and got me hooked. It's still my favourite novel. I am currently listening to it as an MP3 Audiobook, which is a new experience - I try to re-read it every few years but this is the first time I've listened to it.

Other than Salem's Lot I love...

Novels:
The Dead Zone
Dolores Claibourne
The Eyes of the Dragon
Firestarter

Collection wise:
Skeleton Crew
Four Past Midnight
Nightmares and Dreamscapes

Not so much love as *Meh* wise:
Tommyknockers
Gerald's Game
The Dark Tower

I read It when I was 12 years old and have read nearly every word published by SK. My favorite novel is unquestionably The Stand: Complete and Uncut. I also love Salem's Lot and The Shining; I had a hard time reading them alone! If you want to start with some lighter reading, he's written some amazing novellas and short stories. My favorites are Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, "Mrs Todd's Shortcut", Secret Window, Secret Garden, "The Reach"... I could totally go on and on. I agree with a lot of the posts discouraging you from reading Gerald's Game; it's about the only one I couldn't finish. However, I really loved Insomnia and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. If you really get into the books and love epics, a lot of the novels, novellas, and short stories are interconnected with The Dark Tower series. Hope you enjoy!!!

Stephen King was the author that made me want to be a writer. My gran decided to borrow Salem's Lot from the library when I was about 12/13 years old. I started it at about 8 in the evening and finished it at about 5 in the morning. It blew my mind! Scared the hell out of me, and got me hooked. It's still my favourite novel. I am currently listening to it as an MP3 Audiobook, which is a new experience - I try to re-read it every few years but this is the first time I've listened to it.

Other than Salem's Lot I love...

Novels:
The Dead Zone
Dolores Claibourne
The Eyes of the Dragon
Firestarter

Collection wise:
Skeleton Crew
Four Past Midnight
Nightmares and Dreamscapes

Not so much love as *Meh* wise:
Tommyknockers
Gerald's Game
The Dark Tower

Good to see some love for DZ, it is way too under-rated by the fans of SK in this forum.

Not read a lot of King,but for me Misery was just fabulous,epic.
Yet to read IT,its too big a book and too easy to watch the movie instead.(part of the reason I've not read a lot of King!)

As Bachman the best for me is Thinner.

Oh, AE, please don't just rely on the film adaptations for King! the books are so much better. The films are darned good (mostly) in their own right, but they don't match the novels at all.

Misery is a cracking book, though, one of my earliest King books and love it more each time I read it!

Every time I see a discussion like this, I can't help but think that there must be something very wrong with me - because I just wasn't very frightened by 'Salem's Lot. It was a good book, but not the "OMG!" experience that most people had with it.

My top 5:
The Stand
Misery
Desperation
Dark Tower Series
The Dark Half

Hmmm ...

The Stand, It, Pet Semetary, Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Dark Half, Needful Things, Dark Tower series ... I could go on, and on, and on ...

Tricky one! I guess my top three are fairly predictable; IT, The Stand, Needful Things.
But I really love his short story collections as well.

late as usual... or did I already list my favorites somewhere back there?

oh well

top 3

Salem's Lot
The Stand
Duma Key (yes I know, I just finished it, but even as I was reading it, I was telling myself "man this is one of his BEST!")

nods go to The Shining, Misery, Hearts in Atlantis, Dead Zone

I think all of the full length novels have been mentioned in this thread, apart from From A Buick 8 (apologies if I overlooked a mention).
Is this the most under-read of King's novels?
I have read this one and found it to be not one of his best, although I still read it in about one day and certain passages have stayed with me.

And if you were wondering about my favourite (admit it, you were :D) I would say Heart In Atlantis, especially the segment all about the 60's campus and the reaction to the Vietnam war. I found it very moving, and it was completely outside the normal horror subject matter King is usually associated with. It is...genuine literature. In fact, it is not just my favourite King book, but one of my favourite books ever...there is probably a thread about it so I might stop banging on and go find it.

Misery was my rfirst Stephen King book, and I liked it, but out of the ones I have read, The Shining has definitely been my favourite non-series book. It scared me quite a bit, with the hedge animals and everything, reminded me a little of a Doctor Who episode.
I also enjoyed 'Salems Lot, but by far the best series I have read is the Dark Tower series, I'm about to finish the last book, and the whole series has been amazing for me.

The Eyes of the Dragon was alright, but as far as fantasy goes, I have read better. It just wasn't as descriptive as it could have been.

I regret that I havn't read IT, The Stand, or many of his other books. Cell though, I quite enjoyed. It also grabbed one of my friends who almost never reads, and he loved it.

Well i've not read a lot of SK but MISERY is superb,loved it but probably wouldn't have read it at all if my other half hadn't had it on her shelf.
Another good one was GERALD'S GAME.
Also NEEDFUL THINGS,a big book but worth plodding thru.
And then there's the collection 4 Past Midnight,very good!
Oh and don't forget THINNER as Richard Bachman. Such a good story!