Captain Britain

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Captain Britain was originally developed by Marvel to become a flagship British superhero, for the UK division of the company to sell directly to the UK market.

Unfortunately, the character had a rough time of it conceptually, and basically lacked a steady and clear vision that could appeal to readers - and sell.

That is, until Alan Davies, Alan Moore, and Jamie Delano came aboard, redesigned the character, and then wrote a massive story arc known as the "Jasper's Warp".

(Jamie Delano - who would later go on to build up DC's John Constantine at the start his own Hellblazer series - worked with Alan Davis to produce a believable and credible hero, and a story in which to flex his growing character.)

The Jaspers Warp storyline effectively involves a lot of character rebirth and death, the real development of an anti-establishment hero, and general epic stroytelling that combines general Marvel pulp fun with intelligent character development and good storytelling.

And then, just when Captain Britain had become really interesting, the series finished and Captain Britain spent a while languishing in cameo land, until joining up with a couple of ex X-men (such as Nightcrawler) in the rather pulp and pointless "Excalibur" comic, a US-release Marvel series.

Only to finally disappear from that mag and become another cameo character again.

Except...that I have it on good authority that Marvel UK are planning to republish the original Jasper's Warp story. :)

Although the second half was published in graphic novel format, the first half of the story was never released, apparently because the artist, Alan Davis, had kept the rights to certain characters (such as the unstoppable Fury) and only now has permission been secured.

The Jasper's Warp will no doubt appear very dated in places, but should carry its strengths again. And - perhaps too hopefully - somebody will actually go out and build on the possible success with a proper return of Captain Britain as a character, with his own series, and powered by intelligent storytelling that can follow properly and respectfully after Jamie Delano. :)

Attachments

• captain-britain.jpg
    captain-britain.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,454
Didn't Captain Britain have a sister? I keep thinking it's Psylok but surely that can't be right.

Yes - Betsy is his sister. :)

Spoilers:
At one point, Brian Braddock flicked his fingers at the establishment because of the way they were manipulating him, and resigned. So his sister became a new "Captain Britain", only to have her eyes gouged out by the "super-villain" Slaymaster. Brian was knocked out of his self-pitying stupour and went out for revenge, and crushed Slaymaster to death by slamming a large boulder on his head. Not your usuall Marvel fare, which is possibly why I enjoyed the graphic novel release of the second half of the story. :)

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with her time as Psylok.

I really feel like writing a Captain Britain series now. :)

Ah! My memory ain't so bad after all :)

On a slightly different tack (and slightly off topic) Brian's description of those events was probably a good example of why I preferred Marvel to DC. I always felt they were that bit more gritty and that bit more realistic (particularly the X men and the discrimination they and other mutants had to centend with).

I must add at this point that I speak from a totally uninformed point of view and that I would not in any way wish to destroy anybody's happy memories of DC :D

To get the real gritty, you had to get graphic novels, or else DC Vertigo, which was their "mature readers only" branch, where "Hellblazer" and Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" made their appearance. :)

I've just re-read this series - from Alan Moore's "Jasper's Warp" storyline, through to the Jamie Delano/Alan Davis ending to the comic series.

At times the story is garishly marvel - superbeings everywhere! But with Alan Moore and Jamie Delano on board, there's a far more interesting subtext that builds to the fore with the humanising of the main character.

Love the episode "Tea and sympathy" - where Captain Britain does nothing more than sit down with an ordinary working-class family, whose son was accidentally killed in one of Captain Britain's fights. Then there's the tragic pathos of "Sid's Story", mutated into a terrible creature by what's left of The Fury, but never understands what's happened to him. And, of course, the ending.

I often struggle to think on any fantasy novel that might have inspired my writing, but I can read this graphic novel collection and see something of it there.

Unfortunately, it's very hard to get Alan Moore's "Jasper's Warp" in a collection - Amazon no longer list the version I got. However, they do list a ridiculously over-priced complete collection, which would definitely be worth a look at, if re-issued at a sensible price:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0785137602/?tag=brite-21

It's a shame I've not read any - even more that I never knew to ask him for free samples when I met him at Worldcon last year! Next time I meet him, I'll be cheeky. :D

Where to begin?

Betsy Braddock was not just Captain Britain's sister, she was his twin. Brian and Betsy (Elisabeth) had an older brother Jamie who was a successful racing Formula 1 driver.

All three characters are mentioned in the earliest run of the strip, but do very little.

Betsy returned in the Jasper's Warp storyline, where it is revealed that she is a telepath working in and for STRIKE (the UK's answer to SHIELD) but during the Jasper's upheaval
she ends up in one one the concentration camps.

She appears again in the Delano run on the character, slowly recovering from her ordeal with the help of a woman called Allison Bentley (my memory may be wrong here), but comes to the fore when an alternate reality Captain Britain tries to rape her and she response by frying his mind.

Alan Davis, regular artist on the series took over as writer and had Betsy become Captain Britain for an issue. Barely is she in costume before she takes on one of her brother's oldest foes, Slaymaster, who insulted at being attacked by a second rate Captain, blinds her on the spot, (gorely ripping her eyes from her sockets). (He is later put in his place by Brian who crushes his head under a big rock!)

The British monthly Captain Britain comic is cancelled.

142px-Betsy2.jpg

Betsy as she originally appears, art by Herb Trimpe

capbrit2-6-3.jpg

The telepathic Betsy now with purple hair! art by Alan Davis

212852-121765-psylocke_super.jpg

Betsy as Captain Britain art by Alan Davis

Alan Davis moved on, working in mainstream American Comics, part of which was to draw a X-Men Annual. Regular writer, Chris Claremont had created all the original Captain Britain characters and was aware of what Davis. Together they determined to bring the parochial British characters to the main Marvel Universe.

In a story that saw various characters imprisoned by the multi-dimensional Mojo (including the now blind Betsy), and Captain Britain is instrumental - along with the New Mutants - in saving the day. (Mojo exists as a provider of entertainment, on an inter-dimensional network. Ratings are everything - part of the twist is he returns Betsy's eyes)

After she is rescued she decides to stay with the X-Men - many of who see her as a soft English aristocrat. Until she is attacked by Sabretooth... and beats him. Impressed the mutants make her a member of group and she takes the name Psylocke.

She remains with the team until the X-Men volunteer to pass through the Siege Perilous,
which will see them 'reborn' with new lives and past sins 'washed away'.

Psylocke arrives in China, where she becomes embroiled with The Mandarin and an assassin called Kwannon who is dying. The extra-dimensional character Spiral swaps the minds of the two characters - so Betsy from that point appears Chinese and has done ever since.

Footnote: Kwannon died in Betsy's body. Recently her corpse was discovered, and the body cremated. So it would seem Psylocke is going to remain in her current form.

psylocke.gif

Psylocke joins the X-Men art by Alan Davis

c9c36e154ca1dbbdc290f1b7c8815439d5e8cf2e.jpg

Kwannon art by Jim Lee

uncx509_cov_col.jpg

Psylocke as was and is art by Greg Land​

The Secret Avengers mentioned in the article happened and Captain Britain was a member of the team for a while - it is one of the few CB appearances I have not read.

Last documented appearance had him running an academy in England.

However he did appear in the recent Revolutionary War limited series, along side a mass of British heroes. Where this fits in to continuity has yet to be confirmed but he is wearing a different version of his costume.

While checking on something for this post I noticed the current team of Secret Avengers are apparently fighting The Fury so he might be set to return there in the near future.

Captain Britain is a character with a long history, having been created back in the early 70’s as an attempt for Marvel to enter the UK market. It was not really a mission of love, with the creators being chosen because they lived or once lived in the UK.

Chris Claremont and Herb Trimpe were the ones given the task, and all things considered they did not do a bad job of it. Alan Moore apparently said that considering how much Claremont’s hands were tied by Marvel he did a spectacular job, more than enough to inspire Moore himself, when he started writing the character years later.

The origin is pretty much a mix of stereotypical superheroics and British mythology, Merlin being at the heart of the tale. The early stories are pretty much a standard mix, but creators came and went way too fast, and it rapidly became a comic produced by committee. Written in the US and then published in the UK. It was probably seen as a turkey assignment, but ironically it was only when it became written by Steve Liebowitz (Stan Lee’s brother) that it gained any kind of heart. All the same it was a lot of run of the mill superheroics, with a lot of US character appearances.

After his initial comic was cancelled he drifted through the pages a lot of the regular Marvel UK titles, before coming to an inauspicious end.

Captain Britain made a few appearances in US titles, best of the bunch being a Marvel Team Up with Spider-Man written and drawn by Chris Claremont and John Byrne.

However a few years later writer Steve Parkhouse was writing a strip that he wanted to be intrinsically British, and started work on the mythically inspired Black Knight. It seemed almost impossible for him to do it without Captain Britain, and although it was a guest starring role the character became defined in a way he never had been before.

The story ended with renewed interest in the character and Marvel ultimately brought him back, an original British produced strip in the monthly Marvel Superheroes. Determined to do the character proud they brought in an up and coming writer - Dave Thorpe and an unknown but excellent artist Alan Davis.

The story is interesting, different - Cap even has a new costume, but Thorpe allegedly wanted to turn the strip into a political satire, and this was something Marvel did not really want. Thorpe walked and was replaced by another up and coming writer called Alan Moore.

The two Alans transformed the character, turning in an epic tale, of different realities, cybernetic killing machines, and an insane character with the ability to warp reality, some stunning art and crackling dialogue, you can literally see two major talents coming into their own. As I have written elsewhere on the forum, this story is my all time favourite comic story.

Brian noted Tea and Sympathy as being a stand out part of this tale, for me The Candlelight Dialogues is another masterpiece. Two characters trapped in what can only be described as a concentration camp discuss the world outside, stories distorted by chinese whispers, the truth hidden somewhere inside. Excellent stuff. (The two characters are Allison Bentley and Megan - the woman who helps Betsy Braddock and Captain Britain’s future wife respectively.

The strip was successful enough, both in reader response, critically and even won an Eagle Award, that Captain Britain was given his own title again. Moore did not stay on, and was replaced by Jamie Delano, who wrote some superb stories, but they could not compete with the epic work of Moore. Even though Davis stayed onboard as artist, the whole thing lasted just over a year, with Davis taking over writing duties toward the end. He used the experience to tie up loose ends returning the Captain to comic book limbo.

It lasted a little more than a year, and the Captain Britain universe joined with the main US continuity when the character became a founding member of the team Excalibur, written by the creator Chris Claremont and art by one of the redefining duo Alan Davis.

Over the past few years Marvel have released the original Captain Britain strips in a series of chronological graphic novels.

Something I found interesting with the Alan Moore stories, is that I couldn't help but see a seed for Watchmen in the storyline of making super heroes illegal.

However, I think it was Chris Claremont had already written an excellent X-Men storyline, later used as a basis for the films (God Loves?), which may have inspired that (unless I have the chronology wrong!).

Now you are starting to challenge me ;)

God Loves, Man Kills was an original large format graphic novel published in 1982.

The background of the story was basically religious persecution of mutants, led by the Rev'd William Stryker. Being a mutant was not illegal, but from Stryker and his followers point of view it was an abomination.

299947.jpg

You can tell it's a posh graphic novel, Claremont is credited as Christopher!

But as to a story set published before Captain Britain where heroes are illegal is stretching my memory...

The X-Men have nearly always been persecuted, but then it was just mutants that were illegal and even then it was normally individual groups rather than them being illegal on a wide scale.

There is the Days of Future Past which saw a future where all heroes were illegal, that was published in 1981 so it might just beat Captain Britain

And then there was The Dark Knight Returns, published around the same time as Watchmen.

I've got a niggling feeling there might have been something in the Avengers at some point...

That's the one I was thinking of. :)

A very good story - and there are elements of it in the X-Men films. Interesting to see Claremont involved in that, as well as Captain Britain. :)

I was tempted to toy with the idea of a story for Captain Britain - hope springs eternal, and all that :) - but I just wouldn't know where to begin.

His character has often suffered from being a confused jumble of elements, with little maintained consistency (hence a reason why the Davis/Moore/Delano stories work really well). From what I've read of his more recent adventures, he still lacks proper direction. It seems as though Marvel don't know what to do with him - and have ended up trying to resurrect Alan Moore's Fury.

I have a few ideas to start with. Maybe one day... Or perhaps Marvel will be a really great writer on his case. Will watch out for the Cornell stories, though. :)

You never know Brian... Captain Britain has become very much a character run and driven from the US, but there might always be a restart if Marvel UK ever starts producing original comics again...

When he first transferred to the US, following his solo run over here, he was one of the original core members of Excalibur (basically an X-Men title set in the UK), but it had a lighter touch than most x-titles.

Written by... well let's say Mr Claremont raises his head once more and drawn by Davis, it worked really well. The character was well handled and the stories did him proud. After Davis left Claremont seemed to stumble a bit and left a short time after.

CB suffered a bit under the replacement teams, until Alan Davis returned as writer/artist and restored him to glory. Unfortunately once he moved on the downward spiral began. He got lost in time, came back as Brittanic (?), he eventually becomes Captain Britain again, replacing his replacement!

Since then he has appeared in various relaunches of Excalibur, but seemed to be a lost character, one only used to fill out a team, certainly not worthy of a title in his own right. Claremont used him again in an attempt to put him back on track, and he even headlined the Captain Britain and MI:13 title. This was written by Paul Cornell and he did a fairly good job, but the sales were not enough and it ended suddenly.

Since then he reappeared in the Secret Avengers (Back in his older costume), and played a part in Revolutionary War.

Alan Davis has apparently said that he would be happy to write/draw a solo series, but Marvel does not seem to be prepared to take him up on the offer. (That was a few years ago though...)

51JVnMR4Q6L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Excalibur

2805096-britannic.jpg

Britannic (Yuk!)

Captain_Britain__MI13_vol_1_1.jpg

Captain Britain and MI:13

SecretAvengers_26_Cover.jpg

Secret Avengers

Brian_Braddock_(Earth-616)_Revolutionary_War.jpg

Most recent appearance: Revolutionary War​

I may have to pick up revolutionary war. From what I hear, he at least gets himself noticed - not least presuming that Captain America chose Captain Britain to lead the team. :)

He is a somewhat lost character, though - originally, he was a Phd in physics, and as a superhero, was quite athletic, using magic to provide his powers - but since he's evolved into a muscle-bound thing powered by science. Is he a genius, or just a thug? It seems to have gone the latter direction, but he could be brought back with more of the former.

Which is a shame, because an older Captain Britain could be a very similar character to Frank Miller's Batman in Dark Knight Returns. The scene where Batman is riding a horse, leading the bat-mob? I can easily visualise that as Captain Britain, leading CB's from alternative realities.

The-Dark-Knight-Returns-frank-miller-6946814-416-633.jpg

And a shout-out to this blog I found, which puts together some decent classic information together about the character:
The Captain Britain Blog. | All the news, reviews and obscure facts about Captain Britain you'll ever need.

Revolutionary War: Way back when, well the 1990's to be precise, Marvel UK decided to have another stab at the superhero market. The gathered a number of new names creatively, or semi established and gave them a big break, starting a UK subsection to the Marvel universe.

Trying hard to cash in to what made comics successful - in the US monthly ongoing issues, in the UK anthology titles like 2000AD. The British team led by Paul Neary came up with an innovative, experimental idea. A series of standard US comics that were only for the US or speciality comic book market. But the same strips were published in the UK in smaller parts, in an anthology title called Overkill. The US titles had slightly longer page counts - extra pages that normally allowed minimal interaction with the big names of the Marvel Universe.

It introduced some interesting characters, some very British ideas, but ultimately it failed. Overkill folded, and the US versions soon followed.

The titles included: Motormouth and Killpower, Super Soldiers, Deaths Head II, Warheads and Knight's of Pendragon. Some featured established characters in new forms - Death's Head, and Knights of Pendragon was effectively volume 2 of a series that had run earlier.
It was in this title that Captain Britain appeared.

After it had all faded away, most of the creators went on to bigger and better things, some becoming noted top talents in the industry. Included in this were Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning. Both felt that the UK titles had suffered short shrift in the way they ended and organised a limited series to showcase the characters and to give their interlinked story a proper end. And this was Revolutionary War.

It was fun, solid and seems to have the desired effect as one of the characters has been seen hanging out in the main universe - Dark Angel (or Hell's Angel as she was called over here), with rumours of the ever popular Death's Head soon to follow.

d4fd2842-55d2-46d4-9a9a-7ce5e6325dde.jpg

Overkill 1

STK629174.jpg.square-true_maxheight-285_size-285.jpg

Dark Angel

52cada5c5f323.jpg

And the Marvel UK characters line up for an encore​