Harry Potter sucks

" My Greatest Achievements" by G.W.Bush.
H/b, 10pp, very rare.

I happen to enjoy Harry Potter very much. But, of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, so I hold absolutely nothing against people who don't like the series. I like the series because I can relate to the characters and I love to put my brain to work, so working out the finale is fun for me. And I think it's overall good writing.

Although I'm very upset with the person the links were about, only because of the blog post on the Amazon site. For one thing, I am a Christian, and found the post EXTREMELY offensive (and Abraham nearly killed his son to show his loyalty to God. God didn't even let him do it.) And only Christian extremists do the things he accuses us of, not all of us. God is not a creature. We are not dumb. We are faithful.

^That was me attempting to politely correct the post, so if my anger showed through, I apologize.

I was about to consider reading his books before I read that.

But that's about it of my ranting. Please don't flame my religion (not that I think you would, but I don't know people on here that well yet) or my opinion. Thank you!

Peace out, peoples! :)

"S'OK, we all slag each other off a bit, but we don't get personal, the guy who started this thread was a spammer. Welcome aboard by the way.

You from upstate New York, MM? Anywhere near Elmira?

I've been through Elmira before, but I don't really live near there. A few hours away. It's really beautiful out there, with all the hills (unless I'm mistaken, I hope I'm not :p).

Nice to meet another New Yorker!

Sorry, I'm in Southampton, in England. British, dontchaknow!:)

It was just my cousin lived in Horseheads, and I wondered if it was anywhere near where you are.

I live in the area of Southampton called Woolston - 15 of the crew lived within half a mile of my house. [Link]

If you want to talk about this, start a thread in Discussion - History, or the Harry Potter fans may object to hijackers!:D

I don't mind Harry Potter, but I think they are getting a bit more credit than they deserve. Their a nice, easy read, but their not that well written. For example (don't worry, I won't give anything away), the surprising demise of a character in book six didn't make sense at all. There was no support in the plot. It seemed to me to be contrived simply to make the books less predictable, not because it was a logical thing to happen. Actually other than that, I have no problem with them. That just really bugged me...

I think she might have a reason for what she did in book six. It's a matter of great discussion on the HP website I'm always at. We'll have to see, there are a lot of loose ends that she needs to tie up in the seventh book.

I think much of the 'I hate Harry Potter' comes from people trying desperately not to be normal. The books are loved far and wide. I, for one, love them also. But usually when people say things like 'I saw the plot twists coming because I read more sophisticated fantasy,' it just irks the crap out of me. I can't stand most fantasy because it is so poor. Most fantasy is so cliche that it makes me feel stupid just perusing through it. 99% of fantasy books are average, at best. When someone comes along that is very good at their craft, and wide received, naysayers always come up with thin reasons for not liking them. It just bothers me.

The books are great, seriously. I just don't see what there is to not like. Not original? Suck-up-to-kids literature? What the crap people? The same folks who bash these good works of fantasy are the ones that will gripe and complain that fantasy doesn't put out the quality they want. Well, here is your quality. And you're bashing it.

Go read some more tripe, since apparently you've been trained to like it.

(I realize this is an offensive rant. But hating Harry Potter? HOW DARE YOU!)

Marvolo

Hey, we're all entitled to our opinions...just like you clearly really enjoy the Harry Potter books, I don't and I have my own reasons for doing so. It's not because I'm trying "not to be normal". I concede that Harry potter is exceptionally popular and appeals to a lot of people. And yes, it is original. But it does not mean, just because it is widely received, that it has to appeal to every single person.

You say that the books are great because you obviously enjoy them. I, too, enjoyed the books for a while...but then, Harry started to annoy me. The plots started to annoy me. I've stated my reason for not liking the books so much anymore elsewhere in the Harry Potter forum, so I won't bore people by repeating them again.

But please, accept that people have their own tastes and opinions. I wouldn't try to dissuade you from your obvious enjoyment of the books, so please don't try to explain my dislike of the books as having bad taste or not recognising quality because that is not the reason. I would probably feel quite irrated if some badmouthed my favourite authors or books, but then it has to be accepted that people will always have differing tastes and opinions.

I'm still going to race you through Book 7 Hoopy, and don't you think you can get away from that!