Is it okay to discuss casting for the HBO series?

Damn you, Boaz! You found my weakness! I'm the most gullible person on the planet.
Then I'm the second most... the only reason I did it is because I'd already fallen for an April Fool's joke on a different website. Doh!

MTR, you spelled prudish wrong, it's spelled r-e-p-u-b-l-i-c-a-n... btw, your name still slays me!

Could we please tone down the political rhetoric. It makes me uncomfortable with my moderate self.:rolleyes:

Sorry FH. Just having some fun... I've actually voted republican about 90% of the time.

Now what can I say to put us back on track? Hmmmm.

In addition to the cast, do you have any recommendations for directors, writers (yes, I know GRRM wrote this and he has a strong background in TV script writing, but he has a lot going on so HBO will have some people write the actual dialogue and choose which scenes to film), effects people, costume designers, or anyone else associated with the production of ASOIAF?

The writers have already been chosen. GRRM will write one episode per season. Everything else will be written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. It looks like there will be between 10 and 12 episodes per season (I can imagine AGoT and ACoK being 10 episodes each and ASoS being 12, just to fit everything in). The current bet is that they'll film the series in Eastern Europe, most likely Romania, as it's easily accessible and they'll have access to ruined castle locations, semi-desert areas where they can film the Dornish stuff and colder climes are easily reachable for the stuff in North, plus you have the Black Sea for all the coastal stuff. The other alternative is New Zealand, however, which seems to be a good choice for bigger soundstages, local effects houses (Weta, anyone?) and a decent filming infrastructure.

Directors are likely to be drawn from the HBO pool, which they share between shows like Six Feet Under, Entourage, Rome, Deadwood, Carnivale, The Sopranos and others. People like Julian Farino and Allen Coulter are likely to be among the directors.

Effects houses: Weta (the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy) do effects for TV shows and obviously have experience in doing large-scale effects shots and providing physical objects like weapon and armour, and doing so on a limited budget. It hasn't been confirmed but it's been pretty widely theorised that Rome licensed some Weta technologies in order to do the vast (200,000+ soliders) Battle of Philippi in episode six of Season 2, so there may be an existing relationship that can be used as well.

Costumes and sets will likely be done by HBO's internal departments. Again, it'll probably be the same people who did Rome, and the sets and costumes in that are exemplery.

The biggest problem I forsee is that, given that Rome nearly broke HBO's bank (and has been blamed for the cancellation of Deadwood), ASoIaF may get a reduced budget :(

The biggest problem I forsee is that, given that Rome nearly broke HBO's bank (and has been blamed for the cancellation of Deadwood), ASoIaF may get a reduced budget :(

you make me sad wert :( but I fear you may be right.

Do you think it might be possible that merchandising and DVD sales may in some way offset the production costs?

Possibly. With BSG the DVD sales affecting the show was only possible because they had the mini-series, released it on DVD (good sales) and were able to use that as a factor in the getting the series comissioned. However, with AGoT it's all or nothing. DVD sales wouldn't factor into the decision to get a second season made if the first season doesn't do well in the ratings (it wouldn't be out before the decision had to be made). Just to make things worse, HBO tend to release their DVDs a bit later than other networks and stations. Rome didn't come out until nearly a year after transmission (in the UK, anyway).

As for merchandising, it's possible but GRRM has most of the merchandising rights sewn up himself. Between the guide book, the RPG, the wargame, the figurines, the CCG, the graphic novels and so forth there's not much left for HBO to do (computer game and some behind-the-scenes-of-the-production books, maybe).

On the plus side if they are able to pull it off on a more limited budget, it makes the chances of the series making it all the way through to the end far more likely :)

As for merchandising, it's possible but GRRM has most of the merchandising rights sewn up himself. Between the guide book, the RPG, the wargame, the figurines, the CCG, the graphic novels and so forth there's not much left for HBO to do (computer game and some behind-the-scenes-of-the-production books, maybe).

Phew! The last thing I want to see is a pair of "We Do Not Sow" socks.:p

how about Robin Weigert, who played Calamity Jane on Deadwood, for Brienne? She may not be big enough, but then again, who is?

How about Robin Weigart (she played Calamity Jane on Deadwood) as Brienne. I know she does not have the size, but who does? I'm sure they could do some special effects magic.

They can do anything like give Keira Knightly breasts in King Arthur and Pirates. ;)

But, Brienne will have to be well casted because the books spend alot describing her physically, fans would expect nothing less of the ugliest actress out there.

They can do anything like give Keira Knightly breasts in King Arthur and Pirates. ;)

But, Brienne will have to be well casted because the books spend alot describing her physically, fans would expect nothing less of the ugliest actress out there.

Well, I think she can play ugly....

TK Productions presents

The All-Canadian Version of A Song of Ice and Fire

Directed by: David Cronenberg, Norman Jewison and Denys Arcand

Starring:
Dan Akroyd as King Robert Baratheon
Jim Carrey as Eddard Stark
Carrie-Anne Moss as Catelyn Stark
Ryan Gosling as Jon Snow
Dean McDermott as Robb Stark
Anna Paquin as Sansa Stark
Kristin Kreuk as Arya Stark
David James Elliott as Benjen Stark
Keifer Sutherland as Jaime Lannister
Pamela Anderson as Cersei Lannister
Rick Moranis as Tyrion Lannister
Christopher Plummer as Tywin Lannister
Colm Feore as Kevan Lannister
Donald Sutherland as Maester Pycelle
Martin Short as Varys
Elisha Cuthbert as Daenerys Targaryen
Ryan Reynolds as Viserys Targaryen
Leslie Nielsen as Aemon Targaryen
Keanu Reeves as Edmure Tully
Eugene Levy as Brynden Tully
Caroline Rhea as Lysa Arryn
Brendan Fraser as Renly Baratheon
William Shatner as Stannis Baratheon
Rachel Blanchard as Melissandre
Matthew Bennett as Mance Rayder
Carly Pope as Asha Greyjoy
Corey Haim as Theon Greyjoy
Paul Anka as Balon Greyjoy
Sandra Oh as Brienne of Tarth
William B. Davis as Jeor Mormont
Paul Gross as Jorah Mormont
Jason Priestley as Loras Tyrell
Samantha Bee as Maergery Tyrell
Mike Myers as Petyr Littlefinger
Graham Greene as Doran Martell
Adam Beach as Quentyn Martell
Victor Garber as Davos Seaworth
Tom Green as Khal Drogo
Jim Carrey as Hodor
Margot Kidder as Septa Mordane
Micheal J Fox as Sandor Clegane
Micheal Bublé as Jory Cassell
Deborah Cox as Jaqui or Irri
Nia Vardalos as Mirri Maz Dur
David Gardner as Maester Luwin

The Soundtrack from K-Tel featuring such Canuck artists as:
Rush
Celine Dion
Avril Lavigne
Shania Twain
Joni Mitchell
Bryan Adams
Nelly Furtado
D.O.A.
Glass Tiger
Anne Murray
Corey Hart
Sarah McLachlin
Steppenwolf
Metric
The Pursuit of Happiness
Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet
Tragically Hip
and Neil Young
with the title tracks played at every hockey game in Canada: "Taking Care of Business" by Bachman-Turner Overdrive and "Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey, Goodbye".

Stay tuned
Sponsored by Molson Canadian Beer

Talking about a soundtrack for it. What about Ennio Morricone for that? Think of the scores he would put together for Ned's death and the march of the Northmen south.

I think Kevin McKidd would make a great Ned. They are about the same age. Jeremy Irons as Tywin Lannnister, Ken Watanbe as Kahl Drogo, Sean Bean as the Blackfish, Brendan Gleeson as the Old Bear are just a few ideas.

TK, great work. I'm not Canadian, but you know me... I have to chime in.

What, neither Hayden Christensen nor Norm Macdonald? I thank you for that.

You left out Alan Thicke, Natasha Henstridge, and Rachel McAdams.

You're gonna leave out James Cameron from directing a few episodes?

What about Triumph's music... Fight the Good Fight, Magic Power, Lay It On the Line? Or Gordon Lightfoot... If You Could Read My Mind, The Wreck of the Black Betha, err Edmund Fitzgerald

I would have loved Raymond Burr as Doran, John Candy as Varys, and Lorne Greene as Jorah.

OK, how about these additions:

Hayden Christensen as Bronn
Norm Macdonald as Vargo Hoat
Alan Thicke as Euron Greyjoy
Alex Trebbek as Aeron Greyjoy

Those 3 late great Canadian actors would of fit perfectly.