Ohmygodohmygod

Gilbert Godfreid bumps beast wars!

(the old ewok outfits will be the direwolves)

Hey if Gilbert played Ned his death would come as a blessing :)

Last edited:
I think beast wars was a part of the show Transformers, i think it was the first installment of the show in 3D in memory serves correct.

kiwi is correct. Beast Wars was indeed the first 3D CG installment in the long running - and very soon to be released as a motion picture in cinemas near you - Transformers series. Its also an example of early, bland cg... if helped somewhat by the always convoluted (for an animation made predominantly for an american audience - those anime series can be truly head-trippy) storylines.

I wonder if they're going to have maps in the series to demonstrate the geography? In the LotR movies they had tons of map posters to publicise the films and they showed a map or two in each of the films to get across to the reader what was going on.

I also wonder if they'll take other leaves out of the LotR movies. They could have John Howe on board as artistic director, as he's a fan of the books and illustrated the limited edition of A Clash of Kings. They could also do some of the castles and locations (such as the Wall, Storm's End, Harrenhal etc) as 'Bigatures' rather than pure CGI. And I'm guessing the dragons will be 100% CGI.

Mr. Werthead, I seem to have a memory that GRRM and Westeros.org people were putting together a book with complete maps et al. Maybe this is a false memory, but it would seem that they may do a better job than the folks at HBO.

But I would be willing to bet HBO will come up with several promotional items.

I am pretty sure, if my memory is not false, that you have spoken of this project. Tried for a few days (albeit not at great length or with great effort) to search for discussion on that possible book.

This is terrible! My reactions, in order:
1) I'm p*ssed because it's being made into a stupid TV series.
2) Now I have to pay for HBO so I don't miss out on the stupid TV series.

I think this is the worst thing that could happen to the series. Call me selfish, but I hate the idea of sharing my favorite books with people who don't bother reading.

Call me selfish, but I hate the idea of sharing my favorite books with people who don't bother reading.

No, I wouldn't call you selfish at all, Arya - in fact, you've neatly encapsulated exactly how I feel about the LotR movies and associated merchandising.:p

Hey if Gilbert played Ned his death would come as a blessing :)
Too funny.

No, I wouldn't call you selfish at all, Arya - in fact, you've neatly encapsulated exactly how I feel about the LotR movies and associated merchandising.:p
I second that emotion. I mean I whole heartedly second... I had the exact same thought when I read AU's post.

But I was/am deeply involved emotionally in The Lord Of The Rings. I read J.R.R. Tolkien's works as an adolescent. I never discussed them with other people. For twenty years I dwelled on the themes, style, and stories of Tolkien by myself... and then I found the internet. But since I only found G.R.R. Martin less than seven years ago, I am far less emotionally invested in ASOIAF. So I won't care as much if the vision of the production crew is not the same as mine.

But I was/am deeply involved emotionally in The Lord Of The Rings. I read J.R.R. Tolkien's works as an adolescent. I never discussed them with other people. For twenty years I dwelled on the themes, style, and stories of Tolkien by myself... .
My long-lost twin!!:D
But I was lucky enough to find a Tolkien Society branch near me - so at least I had the chance to discuss the books with other fans.

The last straw for me, by the way, was when I found socks with the Ring inscription around the tops.:(

You know what I think? and lets be honest you dont, so stop pretending otherwise.....

If even one person read the Tolkien books because of that movie Im happy....and if even one reads Martins work its a good thing....

As a famous entrepeneur once said....theres no such thing as bad publicity.

Seriously with all the dross thats out there that gets turned into screen plays how can this be a bad thing?

Exhibit A: Snakes on a <expletive deleted> plane

That was crap, grossed enough money to make it a success Im sure and now has a place in movie history and popular culture. I think the Song deserves as much notiriety at the very least. Even if the adaptation is crap.

You know what I think? and lets be honest you dont, so stop pretending otherwise.....

Don't be silly - isn't the whole point of the Chrons to find out what others think?:)

Aegon the Unworthy; said:
If even one person read the Tolkien books because of that movie Im happy.

I don't disagree with that - I guess it's just selfishness - Tolkien was mine and a few others secret fantasy world, and then everyone knows about it, and it moves out of the old world of literary appreciation into the brash new era of "how much money can we make in merchandising?".:(

If even one person read the Tolkien books because of that movie Im happy.

Then it may interest you to know that since The Fellowship of the Ring was released at the end of 2001, The Lord of the Rings has sold more than fifty million new copies worldwide :D

This is terrible! My reactions, in order:
1) I'm p*ssed because it's being made into a stupid TV series.
2) Now I have to pay for HBO so I don't miss out on the stupid TV series.

I think this is the worst thing that could happen to the series. Call me selfish, but I hate the idea of sharing my favorite books with people who don't bother reading.

There are a plethora of other series on the market, some that have been around for quite some time and are arguably more popular than Martin's ASoIaF. For this particular series to be picked up for a cable production, there would have to be someone upstairs that wants to see it done, and done right. Granted, I do understand the sentiment, but imagine you being the fan you are and in a position to bring the story to a larger audience; with your intimate knowledge of the series, you'd likely try and do the best job possible - for old fans and new.

Then it may interest you to know that since The Fellowship of the Ring was released at the end of 2001, The Lord of the Rings has sold more than fifty million new copies worldwide :D

Sure, but how many of those copies got read? It's not like it is in the films, after all. It's hard work.

Regardless Im gonna stay happy that there's 49,999,958 book shelves being adequetely anchored in case the owners home jumps or something....

The other 42 are just bonus.

Sure, but how many of those copies got read? It's not like it is in the films, after all. It's hard work.

All too true. I can actually vouch for this, as I've got several friends that were motivated to pick up the books because of the movies, and my fervor for the series. Every one of them had the same response, "I read the first couple of pages, but I couldn't really get into it." I'd take a guess that at least some of those books were read, and even go as far to say that they were enjoyed and founded a new batch of fantasy fans, but it goes without saying that there's probably a large majority that were rife with 'good intentions.' There's a measure of whimsicalness inherent in the books that rarely came across on-screen, and for some people that light-hearted banter is difficult to digest.

Holy, s&%#!!!!

Arya shows up out of nowhere and pops everyone's big HBO balloons.

Haha, why are you shocked?

I'm sticking to my guns on this one. I'm the same way about my favorite songs: the second they hit the radio I'm disgusted.

Regarding the potential to attract new readers- I could go either way on this one. Once something becomes really big, there are too many people turn it into a status symbol.
I'm sure people who tore through "The DaVinci Code" :)eek: you won't believe how many people I saw reading it on the beach here in San Diego) will also purchase ASOIAF, but won't complete the read.
Returning to hermitage now...

You know what? I changed my mind completely. I want this to totally flop. Yes, yes I do. If its wildly successful, the books get snapped up, Im sure theres royalties for the series, and Martin gets asked to write more scripts in the future. Meanwhile, drunk on his own success and now stupid rich beyond his ability to comprehend, Georges writing deteriorates to an unreadable state. Then depressed, he ends up snorting an 8-ball off of a hookers belly and drowns in a puddle of his own vomit. So if you read this George, I hope this series flops for your own good.

Back