Further reading: P.K. Dick and Kurt Vonnegut

Discussion in 'Phillip K Dick' started by Nikitta, Jan 6, 2007.

Nikitta

Nikitta Silly Person

This place (the Chronicles) and the people here keep amazing me. All of those interesting and fun discussions and such good answers to questions.

I have two more queries that I hope to hear your thoughts on. I figured that I might as well combine both queries in one post for convenience.

1) I want to read more of Philip K. Dick.
    2) I want to read more of Kurt Vonnegut.

The only thing I've read by P.K. Dick is "Do androids...". I've also started on Lies, Inc, which isn't too bad, but so far it doesn't seem even nearly as good as "Do androids...", which shows no signs that it will leave my head entirely any time soon.

What I've read by Kurt Vonnegut is Cat's Cradle and The Sirens of Titan, both of which I enjoyed immensely. Cat's Cradle made me laugh out loud on the train causing people to turn and look at me. Heh! I found Breakfast of Champions at Waterstones, but it didn't really look interesting to me.

Any ideas for further reading of one of these two?
    j d worthington

j d worthington Moderator Staff Member

Re: Furthe reading: P.K. Dick and Kurt Vonnegut

Ummm.... Breakfast of Champions is fun, but one of his weakest books. However, if you do choose to read it, I'd suggest making it less of a priority than God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, Slaughterhouse-Five; or, the Children's Crusade, Mother Night, Gallapagos, or even his two story (and essay, in one case) collections, Welcome to the Monkey House and Wampeters, Foma, and Granfallons. Even his early Player Piano is, in some ways, a better book, though it shows that it's an early novel. (Oddly, I've not read any Vonnegut in far, far too long, so I haven't yet read several of his later works ... I was thinking about picking those up sometime soon; may have to go ahead and do that....)

As for PKD... Ooof... I'll provide a bibliography, and let someone else tackle that one. I tend to prefer a lot of his shorter works over his novels, on the whole, and some of the conventions of the genre he uses (and the sometimes hasty or slipshod writing) I find can alienate a lot of people. However, I do highly recommend The Man in the High Castle, which is a sterling novel in or outside sf.

Philip K. Dick - Summary Bibliography
    Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

Cat's Cradle is IMHO the best of Kurt Vonnegut, but I also liked Slaughterhouse Five.

I've read a lot of PK Dick. Man in a High Castle deserves all the awards, but you can't beat the anthologies of his short stories that you will find at a larger public library.
    Allegra

Allegra New Member

Everytime I read Kurt Vonnegut I fall in love with him. I wish he'll live forever and write forever. I've read most of his books including his latest non-fiction book A Man Without A Country and some essays, I love them all. If you enjoy his writing and his views in the earthlings and universe, apart from the ones you've read, the followings are essential:

Slaughterhouse Five
    Breakfast of Champions
    Mother Night
    Slapstick
    Timequake
    God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater
    Nikitta

Nikitta Silly Person

J.d, Dave and Allegra. Thanks for your suggestions. So far I've ordered Slaughterhouse 5 and The Man in the high castle and am waiting for Waterstones to send me a letter letting me know that they've arrived.
    n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt New Member

My PKD suggestions:

All of them...

but Ive only read:
    Time Out Of Joint (Good intro to the Aurthor)
    Counter-Clock World
    Do Andriod Dream...?
    Flow My Tears,... (Currently reading)
    The Three Stigmata
    UBIK
    VALIS

And IMHO, most of the above were better than Do Androids Dream...?
    (especially the last three)
    Connavar

Connavar New Member

That sounds good cause i am reading Androids dream right now and its much better than i expected.
    gully_foyle

gully_foyle Here kitty kitty kitty!

My PKD suggestions;
    Flow my tears, the policeman said
    Now wait for last year
    We can build you (which kinda sets up the scene for Do Androids...)

My Kurt Vonnegut suggestions;
    Brekkie of Champions (it really is fun)
    Slapstick
    Slaughterhouse 5
    Allegra

Allegra New Member

How could I miss this post! it's a very nice poem and it's good to know how Kurt Vonnegut influenced that generation. Thanks for sharing!
    Connavar

Connavar New Member

About We can build you , is it okay to read it after Androids? I dont know if they are connected or not. Or is just another short story that is about androids?

And about Kurt Vonnegut? Are any of those suggestions seen as one of his best. I havent read him yet and would like to read a story that is seen as one of his best. Wouldnt be fair to him to read a story of him that wasnt even in his top 100 and i might think he isnt better than that.
    Last edited: May 8, 2007
    Allegra

Allegra New Member

Vonnegut's best in my opinion:

Slaughterhouse-Five
    Breakfast of Champions
    God Bless you, Mr. Rosewater
    Mother Night
    Connavar

Connavar New Member

Thanks Allegra!