Favorite SF&F Toys?

Discussion in 'SFF lounge' started by Dr. Atomic, Jan 3, 2007.

Dr. Atomic

Dr. Atomic tired... so tired...

I collect vintage sf toys -- robots and ray guns from the Thirties through Sixties -- and was just thinking: Does anyone else have any favorite science fiction or fantasy related toys? Collectible or not, doesn't matter. Could be something from your youth, or something you own today. Define "toy" however you'd like. To get things rolling, here are two of mine.

• The first is called Hook Robot, due to the little hook-like antenna. It's a tin Japanese toy, and was manufactured in the mid- to late Fifties by a comapny called Waco. It's friction powered; just rev it along the floor and let it go. The robot rolls forward while its head turns side to side. This guy's pretty rare, and it took me a long time to find him. (The challenge is half the fun.)

• The second toy is the Pyrotomic Disintegrator, a plastic space gun made in 1953 by a U.S. company called Pyro Plastics. It really doesn't do much -- pull the trigger and the barrel moves back and forth in a recipricating motion. But it's so iconic, capturing (in my opinion) everything that was cool about retro-future design. I'm also intrigued by the weird dichotomy between "child's toy" and "weapon," which is highlighted by the bright candy colors (it was also available in copper/silver, which I have, but I like this one more). It also clealy illustrates the paranoia of the time: In "the future," we'll travel into space where there's a very good chance of something finding us and possibly eating us. So be prepared to blast first and ask questions later! Hm...

The Pyrotomic is also extremely rare. I only know of three other examples in this color (though I'm sure some more are lurking in people's attics and basements).

I've got more pics of old toys on my web site, but (a) I'm not allowed to post links yet, and (b) I don't want to come across as self promoting. :)

Attached Files:

BookStop

BookStop If you see a stranger...

Our SciFi room spilling over with toys - My favs are the Reboot characters. I probably get someone in every week asking to buy them - My son plays with all of the smaller action figures too, so I guess Reboot is a family fav.

Attached Files:

Nikitta

Nikitta Silly Person

I have a few dragon figures standing around and I have a Corpse Bride doll, plus a The Crow set-up (the roof of the church with dools of Erik Draven and Top Dollar engaged in their last fight with their weapons).
    The DeadMan

The DeadMan Member The Black Company

I have a model of the Enterprise that I put together in the early 70's!
    Nesacat

Nesacat The Cat

A giant plush Cthulhu that lives at the bottom of my bed. Some days I'm sure he's trying to tell me something, other days he looks like he's been up to something and some days he just looks very angry.

A smaller plush Cthulhu that lives on one of my book piles along with a giant red dragon called Socrates.

Two stone gargoyles that are currently in a box in storage along with a huge wooden five-clawed dragon.
    Talysia

Talysia Lady of Autumn

I don't think you could call them 'toys', but I used to collect dragon figurines. I don't collect as much SF/F merchandise as I'd like to, but I'd say that my favourite from my meagre collection is my Cloud Strife (from Final Fantasy 7) keyring.
    HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Iago with a Blackberry

I have a cuddly Cthulhu as well! He's a puppet, so you can make his tentacles wiggle. He sleeps in my bed (dreaming and waiting, you might say! :D)
    Hawkshaw_245

Hawkshaw_245 On the Edge of Sanity

I've got a rather large collection of pewter Star Trek starships. Quite a colleciton of original Star Wars figures, too.
    Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

We’ll I’ve got WAAAY too many lightsabers, including one of those £100 motion sensitive Force FX models(replica of Anakin’s Ep III hilt.) I can’t help it. It’s the coolest weapon EVER!

I’ve also got a pair of Neo and Trinity figurines (Lobby Shootout) from Macfarlane toys book-ending my Matrix DVD’s.

I would have much more in the way of Sci-Fi toys, were my self control not quite so tight and my bank account not quite so desolate and windswept…
    TheDeeMan

TheDeeMan New Member

My 12" Darth Vader with retractible light sabre and my big ass 16" poseable "Alien" with killer action tongue, removeable head cover, and glow in the dark skull.

Dee
    HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Iago with a Blackberry

Oh, yeah! I forgot about there...

I also have a chess set that have the Lord of the Rings people as the pieces. Good against evil and all that jazz. And I also have a small Aragorn model that stand guarding my bookshelf and a larger Aragorn still in his box under the bed. And also a Sam and a Frodo model, also both still in their boxes and three little Ghost Army figures.
    Dr. Atomic

Dr. Atomic tired... so tired...

Those large Aliens are cool -- hard to find today, especially with the head cover. (Well, hard to find without paying a good chunk of cash...) A company called Kubrick just released a three-inch version that combines the Kubrick look (sort of like a lego figure) and the Alien -- including the see-through head piece. They even changed their box art to mimic the original. It's kind of neat, though not nearly as neat as the original.
    Joel007

Joel007 Shiny! Let's be bad guys.

Well I did see a 7 foot uruk-hai model in a game shop once, but I think my wife might have killed me if i'd bought it :D It looked like this one

[​IMG]

I don't really have any models or anything.
    Alienweirdo

Alienweirdo Likes Comics and Pudding

My favourite toys change all the time, my current fav is My hellboy action figure i got for my birthday :)

i also like my Joker figure (designed by Jim Lee, comic artist) and my marvel Legends figures
    Sketti

Sketti Favorite Food of 4-yo's

I have a plush dragon?

>_< Pathetic, I know. I'd love to collect vintage SFF toys like you do but I wouldn't know what to buy and how much to buy it for. Or where for that matter *sigh*.
    dustinzgirl

dustinzgirl Mod of Awesome

You guys can laugh at me all you want, my hubby does---

I have care bears. Yes I am almost 30 and I have care bears on my bed. I still have my glow worm. I have my original Rainbow Brite, Strawberry Shortcake and Holly Hobby (bed spread and sheet set, so thats not really a toy). Yes I know those are not really science fiction but they should all pass for fantasy since they all use magic :D

Other toys in my family:

I have a few GI Joes/Cobra that survived my pubescent M-80 stage, and mabye one or two barbies at my moms that survived my hair cutting and burning stage (they were evil barbies, OK?).

My uncle has a ton of original star wars tosy he bought in the 70's- 80's including the chess set. All unopened, and likely to remain that way until he is well into his grave. But, we can look at them! lol. My grandpa has kept a bunch of GI Joes from his childhood, which are the original 12 and 15 inch dolls and worth tons...not really sci fi, but comes close.

My daughter inherited a ton of dolls from her great grandmother, about 200 porcelein dolls, barbies, and such, many of which date to the 1950's-1970's, some are newer 80's plus, and some are very old, one or two I know are early 1900's musical dolls, one I love is a depression era doll ballerina that is encased in glass, like a glass ship would be but it is a doll......and one huge mother of a doll house from the 1940's Those are all staying at her grandma's until she is past her barbie doll hair cutting/painting stage too.
    mr_lazell

mr_lazell New Member

I think it's safe to say I'm very, very attached to my collection of GI Joe and Cobra toys. Being from the UK, I'm also lucky enough to have a lot of the UK version, which was called Action Force. It used a lot of GI Joe molds and re-issued them with awesome new colour schemes (Cobra Commander in red is SWEET!).

I also have fond memories of LJN's Dungeons and Dragons figures, Mego Buck Rogers/Black Hole, and, of course,the 70's/80's Star Wars toys!
    Ash59

Ash59 New Member

Strange to think that in decades to come your Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake will invoke the same feelings in generations yet unborn as the Old Dolls/Houses Etc do in us.
    I have an SPV ( Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle) from about 1968 , but it's hardly recognisable as such-the last of the beautiful, silvery-blue paintwork vanshed in the mid 1980's. And i did have a mint condition 'Batmobile' until my ex pinched it to pay for...oh i can't go on.
    Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

There is a Blog here with a selection of THE DUMBEST ACTION FIGURES OF ALL TIME.

Including:

Mozart
    Darth Vader's TIE Motorcycle
    Pregnant Wonder Woman
    'The Meat' from Rocky
    Sarah Palin
    Barack Obama
    Safari Spider-man
    Beach Spider-man
    Gay Bob
    George Lucas
    BookStop

BookStop If you see a stranger...

Ha - those are quite stupid and amusing.

I have vintage Mork & Mindy dolls, Mork is MIB, Mindy isn't. I also have M&M colourforms set as well as a Buck Rogers one. My husband quite likes his Star Frontiers Dungeons and Dragons games.