Looking for Eddings.

Commonmind

Registered Lurker
As a fan of Fantasy I'm constantly berated by my peers for not having read any Eddings. I have a real hunger for reading and my only real reason for not picking up one of his books before is because he simply has so many on the market and I'm unclear as to where to start.

If anyone could offer a little guidance, I would like to start at the beginning of a series and with the initial introduction of the characters. In other words please no recommendations to read a set of books that is its own series but falls at a different place in the timeline of a particular universe. Thanks for any help :)

Thanks for the great links. I've always wanted to read Eddings too, but wasn't sure where to start.

The best place to start ? "Pawn of Prophecy, " book 1 of the "Belgariad."

Probably, although it's a bit hard to follow at parts, somewhat cliched and there's no resolution as such, as it's merely a "getting to know you" for the characters in this 5 book opus. :)
I suggest "The Diamond Throne" as a starter as one of Eddings flaws is that he uses similar characters & plots in all his novels and, being a trilogy and a later one at that, the story flows along better that Pawn of Prophecy in my opinion.

The problem is that the original post had the following:

If anyone could offer a little guidance, I would like to start at the beginning of a series and with the initial introduction of the characters. In other words please no recommendations to read a set of books that is its own series but falls at a different place in the timeline of a particular universe. Thanks for any help :)

So I'm assuming that they want to begin at the beginning of the world's chronology, rather than bibliographically or even within a series; hence the links, so that they can be sure of finding what they're looking for. I may be mistaken, however, as there are different series in Edding's work....

The problem is that the original post had the following:

So I'm assuming that they want to begin at the beginning of the world's chronology, rather than bibliographically or even within a series; hence the links, so that they can be sure of finding what they're looking for. I may be mistaken, however, as there are different series in Edding's work....

You're correct. I would prefer to start at the very beginning, even if the book is cliche or difficult to follow at times. I've read plenty of other authors that suffer from this as well, but I don't consider it a crux if the characters and the story itself are worth the investment. As for there being no resolution in a particular book, I'm used to that, I've been reading the Wheel of Time for 8 years. Again, if the story is worth the investment, I don't mind in the least.

And, btw, thank you very much for the links and others for their responses. Unfortunately my local bookstore doesn't have some of the beginning books in stock so I'll have to find them online.

Back