Whipping Star

Spade

Custom User Title
I want to recommend Whipping Star for anyone who hasn't read it yet. It's part of Herbert's only series in which aliens are equals to us, and it's quite a read, albeit short. The sequel is The Dosadi Experiment. Go check it out.

ConSentiency
Whipping Star

I'm reading it right now and enjoying it. I'm halfway through it, and I feel bad for Furuneo. It took me a little while to grip the whole concept of this particular universe, but now that I'm used to most of the concepts, alien races, and political environment, I'm really enjoying it. McKie's conversations with the Caleban are fascinating, even though sometimes unnerving.

A great read, as is The Dosadi Experiment, Frank Herbert's other Jorj X. McKie novel. Both are well worth checking out and rate amongst his best.

Just finished it, and I quite liked it. Starting The Dosadi Experiment right now.

OK, it was a false start. I read The Santaroga Barrier instead, and loved it. I liked it much better than Whipping Star. Santaroga is more of an X-Files affair than the ConSentiency novels though. I'll be starting The Dosadi Experiment again as soon as I finish pTerry's The Colour of Magi.

Jorg X. McKie is actually first introduced in "The Tactful Saboteur", which appeared in Galaxy magazine in 1964.

If you'd like to hear an excerpt of this story followed by discussion of it and Herbert, google "A Bite of Stars, a Slug of Time, and Thou".

It's the seventh episode of an eight-episode series.

I hope you enjoy it!

My best,

Elisha

I read all of Herbert's novels when I was a lad 30 years ago....are you lot trying to make me feel old ?..... I still have the original copies too... :)

Santaroga Barrier and Whipping Star are excellent reads and I would heartily recommend then to anyone... in fact I might dig them out again and have another shuffty

Whipping Star is probably the only SF novel of Herbert's I haven't read. I went to London many years ago and bought up all his SF books, determined to bring them home and read them.

I'm convinced I got the lot. But when I got back to my home town and went through them all I found Whipping Star was missing. I'm not so sure whetehr I actually bought it or not, there was a bit of trouble on the coach on the way back and I might have mislaid it then...

But I never got around to replacing it and the years went by. And now it's being talked about here and brought it all back.

I'll probably have to try and get a copy now!